Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:41:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A careful re-opening from 29th March 2021  (Read 5678 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 26, 2021, 11:17:56 »

As from Monday, 29th March 2021, you will be able to travel by train and bus again within England for non-essential reasons.  Precautions and rules such as the wearing of masks and social distancing will remain in place, and with very limited facilities at the "far end" ( and you can't stay away) you will need to think carefully and plan trips accordingly.

I understand that the rules are lifted on 27th March in a similar way in Wales BUT that's within Wales, and the English lifting will be within England; reminds me rather of how I teased (shame on me!) a visitor from the US, flying into Gatwick and traveling on to South Wales, about making sure that she had the appropriate vaccinations to cross into Wales.  Goodness - a word written in jest 25 years ago may have a ring of truth into the future.

I will be updating this page over the next days to give current travel advice, and linking it from the top of the forum as the sticky information page to replace the lockdown advice there at the moment.

Edit to add: Advise (similar to above) from National Rail issued 29.3.2021

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:33:36 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 06:51:16 »

A public domain picture of the eye of the storm ( ((Here)) on WikiPedia)

Today is the last day of lockdown.  To all of you (and that is the vast majority) who have been following the rules to this point - THANK YOU for doing so.  Out exercising the other day (and doubled with a walk into town to purchase some basic foodstuffs) I bumped into (or, rather, came within sight and sound contact distance) of one of our neighbours.  "Haven't seen you around for a long time" she said.   Spot on - we have been keeping safe at home leaving the way clear for key and essential services and volunteers younger and safer than us who have been able to be more effective and put themselves less at risk looking after members of the community who need help.  Big thank you to ALL of you in essential work (paid or unpaid) whether it be working in a hospital or driving a bus or keeping the supply chain running.  Appreciated more than words can say.

Please, please, please come out gently.  As we return to life outside home, let's do so with care and in a measured way - sticking to the ongoing advice and restrictions even if we see others stretching or breaking them. Our patience can prevent the hospitals getting yet more patients.

I shall be making an essential trip from Melksham to Trowbridge on Tuesday  - keeping 2 metres apart, wearing a facemask, sanitising my paws, going at what I hope will be a quiet time.   And I will be out and about a little more during April - an invite to sit in open space at a social distance from a friend will be accepted and should one or two people during the month wish to visit us in Melksham, I ain't going to say "no" - far from it.  But I was taken aback to have local election canvassers (two of them, same organisation, not co-habitees) call on us yesterday, ring the doorbell and have a chat. They were not close to me, but they were less than 2 metres from each other.  Apparently, that's been allowed since 8th March. Personal view - dropping around leaflets, OK; meeting people who want to chat, OK. Cold calling as part of a political campaign may be the best way to get YOUR vote. But is it the best and safest way out of lockdown, or is it putting self promotion ahead of safety?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 07:14:35 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 08:38:38 »

First step. Advice is still to work from home wherever possible, stay local and minimise travel, and I'll be sticking to that for the foreseeable.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 09:47:39 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 11:24:39 »

Since January, I have stayed at home & walked locally between 45 mins to 3 hours per day. Next weekend I was hoping to go slightly further afield by bus to Box Hill but I see that's being discouraged.

From Surrey Live
As lockdown measures begin to ease from next week, theSurrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB (Areas Of Natural Beauty)) is expected to be a popular destination for many.

Over the past year, the Surrey Hills has drawn "more people than ever" towards its green spaces in an effort to find fresh air for exercise and to reconnect with nature.

However, locals and visitors are being encouraged to "keep away from the busy beauty spots" in the area, where it will be harder to maintain social distancing.

Heather Kerswell, chair of the Surrey Hills AONB Board, said: "It is important that those who do come follow the Countryside Code and our guidance to ensure a safe and enjoyable visit.

"We encourage those who do come to seek out the less well-known areas of the Surrey Hills and keep away from the busy beauty spots where it will be harder to socially distance.

Avoid well-known sites such as Box Hill, Leith Hill and the Devil's Punch Bowl, which may become congested and therefore difficult to socially distance;

Ah, I may have to re-think where to get my change of scenery.  Sad

In the last few weeks/months, I could have walked there from home but that involves cross-country walking and I prefer to do that in the warmer months when I need fewer layers and not worry as much about mud.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 18:43:00 »

For me, there's a strong urge to get out for leisure trips. My mental health has taken a battering over the last year. Whilst I love the area I'm living in, it's shine has worn off a little during the lockdown periods. This last period particularly so, as I've been shielding too.

I've had my first vaccination, so I have to weigh up the risks of contracting Covid 19 (now much less) with the further risks to my mental health.

Desperate to ride the rails!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 11:04:42 »

From GWR (Great Western Railway) - sharing because I know it's a circular even though it starts "Dear Graham"  Grin

Dear Graham

We promised to keep you updated on changes to our services through the pandemic.

As the gradual lifting of Covid-19 restrictions begins, from today (Monday 29th March) we will be strengthening our busiest services and from 12th April more of our long distance Intercity services will run with 9 or 10 carriages.  Advice remains to keep travel to the minimum, but we want to be sure that we are providing customers with the services they need so that they can return to rail and travel with confidence when the time is right.

We are also planning further additional services in our summer timetable, which starts on Sunday 16 May, which will bring us back to around 90% of our usual timetable. You should now be able to see these in online journey planners so that customers considering trips over the summer can book ahead.

As well as strengthening services, today we have also opened our new cycle hubs at Didcot Parkway and Newbury. Newbury, which is part of a wider package of station improvements jointly funded by the Thames Valley Berkshire LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) sees an extra 230 spaces brought into use, with Didcot Parkway cycle hub providing an extra 600 spaces. These are secure cycle hubs fitted with CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision), environmentally friendly motion sensor LED lighting, and bike repair stands.  We support the move to increase active travel and integration with rail services and we are delighted that both hubs have opened today.

We know that rail has a key role to play in the regional economy as we recover from the pandemic, and we want to be sure we are getting this right, if you have any suggestions, or questions, about current or future services, do let me know. We are listening and we want to help.

Best wishes

Mark

Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 15:58:41 »

Really looking forward to seeing more people out and about again, especially on the trains.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 22:16:06 »

Ventured out today Walked to Evesham and caught the train back to Pershore. about 4 other passengers joined the train which was only going as far as Shrub hill. Very few others on the train.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 06:44:39 »

We support the move to increase active travel and integration with rail services

All they have to do now is make the trains more bike friendly. More bike (and better?) spaces and less insistence on booking.
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 12:06:36 »

My 'Shielding' status ends on the 31st - but I don't think that I shall see any significant change in lifestyle. The greatest burden has fallen on my wife so it will be interesting deciding when and how I can share some of that.

Matt Hancock sent me regular letters extending the shielding and setting out the terms. Unfortunately he kept forgetting to include any advisory that washing up was a prohibited activity  Wink. Other than that, we have been luckier than so many families.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 20:25:00 »

Since January, I have stayed at home & walked locally between 45 mins to 3 hours per day. Next weekend I was hoping to go slightly further afield by bus to Box Hill but I see that's being discouraged.

From Surrey Live
As lockdown measures begin to ease from next week, the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB (Areas Of Natural Beauty)) is expected to be a popular destination for many.

Over the past year, the Surrey Hills has drawn "more people than ever" towards its green spaces in an effort to find fresh air for exercise and to reconnect with nature.

However, locals and visitors are being encouraged to "keep away from the busy beauty spots" in the area, where it will be harder to maintain social distancing.

Heather Kerswell, chair of the Surrey Hills AONB Board, said: "It is important that those who do come follow the Countryside Code and our guidance to ensure a safe and enjoyable visit.

"We encourage those who do come to seek out the less well-known areas of the Surrey Hills and keep away from the busy beauty spots where it will be harder to socially distance.

Avoid well-known sites such as Box Hill, Leith Hill and the Devil's Punch Bowl, which may become congested and therefore difficult to socially distance;

Ah, I may have to re-think where to get my change of scenery.  Sad

In the last few weeks/months, I could have walked there from home but that involves cross-country walking and I prefer to do that in the warmer months when I need fewer layers and not worry as much about mud.

The first news item on tonight's BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) London news covers the same story. Come to Surrey Hills but stay away from the "honeypots". They also showed an interesting looking garden as an alternative sight but neglected to say where it was. I suspected it could be Deepdene gardens in Dorking and a Google search seems to confirm that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000tqtk/bbc-london-evening-news-30032021

As always with local news, it won't be online for long.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 10:15:03 »

From 12th April - what you can do at destination:

Overnight stays in England

Although more travel restrictions are being eased in England from 12 April, when staying overnight away from home is permitted in self-contained accommodation, mixing with other households indoors is still banned. You can only go and stay somewhere with the people in your own household or support bubble.

Pubs are allowed to open their outdoor areas for customers to enjoy once again.

Drinkers will be able to meet up for outdoor drinking or eating in groups of six or an unlimited amount of people from a maximum of two households. All orders must be made from the table, so apps and table orders are going to become increasingly important. There will also be a series of other rules you will recognise such as masks, sanitising and one way systems - we know the drill now.

Shops, hairdressers and zoos

All non-essential shops can reopen. – though it is expected that retail shoppers will be urged to shop alone or within household groups. This includes department stores, book shops, technology stores, clothing and homeware stores, auction houses and vehicle showrooms. Retailers are allowed to stay open until 10pm to ensure compliance with social distancing guidelines and so that shoppers can return back to the high street safely.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 10:59:36 »

Should give quite a boost to numbers of passengers on public transport.  Firstly, as I mentioned on a different thread a few days ago, those people who work in the retail and hospitality sectors.  Secondly those wanting to visit those establishments.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 10:23:26 »

Made my first long distance journey last week to West Wales and back. The Thames Valley part of the journey was busier than I've seen for some time. Still plenty of room for social distancing but not the completely empty trains and stations from before.

Hard to tell for the rest of the journey as its not exactly a busy route normally. The train was 5 coaches instead of the usual 10 and 4 of us got off at Carmarthen which is probably an increase on normal. Limited trolley service was back but no ticket checks.

Mask wearing seemed hap hazard with many people using them incorrectly anyway.

I didn't go out much apart from a trip to the National Botanic Garden of Wales which was busy but its probably an obvious place to go - outdoors and lots of space.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: