Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 18:49:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[303] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[71] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[69] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[69] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[65] Okehampton
[51] First tour train of season

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Spot the line, compare the service to today's  (Read 3836 times)
Kempis
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2021, 10:57:27 »

I wondered whether 7 could be Wolverhampton and Birkenhead Woodside, but I'm not sure the timings fit.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2021, 11:09:44 »

I reckon 7 is Oxford and Bletchley.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2021, 12:41:13 »

Working on the premise that stuving is never wrong, and thus 7 is now solved, that just leaves 2 which I notice everyone is being very quiet on...

I am not much further forward, I must admit. I did think that I might (at a push) have made the Bewdley to Kidderminster and Hartlebury timings work, but even then, where oh where are the intermediate stations?...

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2021, 12:47:16 »

Working on the premise that stuving is never wrong, and thus 7 is now solved, that just leaves 2 which I notice everyone is being very quiet on...

You're not wrong - he's right ... it's Oxford to Bicester and Bletchley, with ongoing connections (or through services) shown to Bedford and Cambridge. I could dearly have done with that line remaining open in recent years - far too many journeys from Melksham to Cambridge via Paddington, the tube or 205 but, and out from King's Cross.  Mind you, that did give me the chance to buy one of those lovely take-away curries sold at King's Cross to eat on the onward train.

No-one has come particularly close to No. 2 yet.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 13:17:01 »

No-one has come particularly close to No. 2 yet.

That's probably because i am the only one who has offered any answers for 2, and I know I am way out  Grin

The only other shot I have left in my armoury is Cardiff Queen Street to Cardiff Central and Cardiff Bute Road (now Cardiff Bay) but the journey times are too long so I suspect that is wrong as well.

If so, I think I will have to "do a RichardB" and consult ny own copy of that timetable to put myself out of my misery!

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2021, 13:46:39 »

A shot in the dark for no 2 - Slough to Windsor?

The reasons - not many branches left with no intermediate stations by then apart from this, and if the western leg of the triangular junction was still in place by then, did a few services start at Maidenhead (without stopping at Taplow and Burnham?)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2021, 16:28:49 »

A shot in the dark for no 2 - Slough to Windsor?

The reasons - not many branches left with no intermediate stations by then apart from this, and if the western leg of the triangular junction was still in place by then, did a few services start at Maidenhead (without stopping at Taplow and Burnham?)

Nope, sorry!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2021, 18:17:48 »

2 is really good.  I've found that too in the 67-68 timetable and I certainly wouldn't have guessed it.  Let's see if anyone does......

Kempis
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2021, 19:19:09 »

Could 2 be Cheltenham to Gloucester (Central or Eastgate), with the occasional train from Stratford-upon-Avon?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2021, 20:29:13 »

Could 2 be Cheltenham to Gloucester (Central or Eastgate), with the occasional train from Stratford-upon-Avon?

Yes - it is.  Quite an amazing timetable from Stratford-on-Avon on what I think was the old GWR (Great Western Railway) mainline from Birmingham to the South West - just one train a day to each of Gloucester Eastgate and Central ... passing through Cheltenham Spa without stopping because the station on that line had been closed.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2021, 07:22:39 »

So the completed quiz as follows:

1. Reading to Westbury (Lee)
2. Stratford on Avon and Cheltenham Spa to Gloucester (Kempis)
3. Kingswear (Stuving)
4. Taunton to Minehead (Kempis)
5. Looe branch (RichardB)
6. Reading to Redhill (Lee)
7. Oxford to Bletchley (and connections to Cambridge) (Stuving)

To 'confirm' my earlier comment. In National Rail terms:
1. Massive increase
2. Partly closed; massive increase on parts still open
3. Partly closed; massive increase on parts still open
4. Closed thoughout
5. Massive increase
6. Massive increase
7. Partly closed; massive increase on parts still open

TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2021, 11:30:06 »

Any chance you can show us a picture of the whole page on that Stratford-Gloucester timetable. I would be interested to see what the origins/destinations of the trains with footnotes A B J K and L where.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2021, 11:56:13 »

Any chance you can show us a picture of the whole page on that Stratford-Gloucester timetable. I would be interested to see what the origins/destinations of the trains with footnotes A B J K and L where.

Two for the price of one ... both ways.   Sadly, only a very few of the footnotes give any origin or destination - much more work than I have time for today to look 'em all up.

TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2021, 12:22:11 »

Thanks. It was really the Leamington trains I was Interested in. Don't waste a lot of time looking at table 51 trains most of the footnotes will be summer only seaside trains.
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2021, 12:26:29 »

I'm intrigued by the last train of the day from Taunton to Minehead being so much quicker on Fridays despite calling at all stations. Does footnote B mean "Class 8 shunter haulage" by any chance?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: