Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:43:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking after preserved stuff so that it really IS preserved  (Read 1684 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 09, 2021, 06:43:39 »

From the Dorset Echo

VOLUNTEERS have produced a new video explaining why they are battling to raise money so that work can resume on building a much-needed £240,000 carriage storage shed for the Swanage Railway.

Keeping railway carriages, especially the historic ones under cover, and protected from the ravages of the weather, is important because it reduces the costs of maintaining, repairing and overhauling the vehicles.

The whole business of "old stuff" being saved ... but then being an ongoing headache to look after ... has worried me for years.  On a visit to a different preserved line a number of years back, I blog/commented on the lines of stock apparently rotting in sidings.  I have no answer, just a concern.  Good on the Swanage line and many others in working to provide better storage and maintenance conditions; it's in all party's interests.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 07:00:16 »

And hopefully protected from the ravages of vandalism.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 09:07:07 »

It is worth remembering that the significant costs of such buildings can be partialy offset by fitting large PV arrays to them, thereby producing an ongoing income from sale of the eletricity.

Whilst PV arrays can be retrofitted to most types of building, it is generally more economic to do this as part of the design and build process.

Producing green energy might make it slightly easier to obtain planning permission for a new structure.
Coal burning steam locomotives are inherently ungreen, and every oportunity should be taken to "green" other parts of the operation.

Good PR (Public Relations) to be able to state that "we burn XX tons of coal a year to power our trains, but we offset* this by producing low carbon electricity from the roof of our new shed.

*As stated previously, I am very doubtful about schemes that purchase indulgences claim to offset carbon emissions.
I have rather more faith in such schemes if under the same ownership as the carbon emitting activity, and within sight.
Loft insulation for poor farmers in Africa ? unlikely to do much good.
A PV array on station buildings, possibly with meter readings published, is more effective.

Most poor farmers in Africa HAVE NO LOFTS to insulate, and the minority that do have loft spaces would derive no gain from insulating them in a mild climate.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 09:58:59 »

The whole business of "old stuff" being saved ... but then being an ongoing headache to look after ... has worried me for years. 

...and the GWR (Great Western Railway) before you. According to the minutes of the GWR Locomotive, Carriage & Stores Committee:

21st December 1905

18. Referring to minute No.19 of the 22nd of July 1903 the Locomotive Superintendant reported that the old broad gauge Engines "North Star" and "Lord of the Isles" which occupy much valuable space in the shops at Swindon have been offered to several institutions without success and upon his recommendation the committee approved of the same being broken up."

Later on, however, they did manage to find somewhere to store their old iron:

12th March 1931

Under circumstances which were represented the Committee approved the presentation, after renovation at a cost not exceeding £65, of the engine "City of Truro" (No 3717) and tender to the London and North Eastern Museum at York, on the understanding they would be returned if required in the future.
Source: https://www.devboats.co.uk/

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 16:13:16 »

The whole business of "old stuff" being saved ... but then being an ongoing headache to look after ... has worried me for years. 

...and the GWR (Great Western Railway) before you. According to the minutes of the GWR Locomotive, Carriage & Stores Committee:

21st December 1905

18. Referring to minute No.19 of the 22nd of July 1903 the Locomotive Superintendant reported that the old broad gauge Engines "North Star" and "Lord of the Isles" which occupy much valuable space in the shops at Swindon have been offered to several institutions without success and upon his recommendation the committee approved of the same being broken up."

Later on, however, they did manage to find somewhere to store their old iron:

12th March 1931

Under circumstances which were represented the Committee approved the presentation, after renovation at a cost not exceeding £65, of the engine "City of Truro" (No 3717) and tender to the London and North Eastern Museum at York, on the understanding they would be returned if required in the future.
Source: https://www.devboats.co.uk/

"Old Broad Gauges" being broken up?.......that's sad news..........I shall miss his contribution to the forum, and the Pullman will take a huge financial hit.............as will Port importers and beef farmers at this difficult time.

It's perhaps indicative of modern society that no Institutions would take him!

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 20:12:33 »

I am not aware of any near term plans to break me up  Smiley

It must however be said that if I was an horse, that the vet would probably shoot me. (unsound of hoof etc.)

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: