Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:24:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Have you visited Northern Ireland?  (Voting closed: April 18, 2021, 08:45:51)
Never. - 17 (42.5%)
Just once - 14 (35%)
A few times - 8 (20%)
Quite often - 0 (0%)
Frequently - 1 (2.5%)
I live there - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 40

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Burning car on railway track - train stops short (thank goodness!)  (Read 2413 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 13, 2021, 08:45:51 »

From ITV

Northern Ireland's infrastructure minister said she is "deeply concerned" after a burning car was left on a railway track near Bellarena.

Translink confirmed the incident occurred around 9pm on Monday and involved the 1910 train from Belfast to Derry-Londonderry.

Translink Group chief executive Chris Conway said: "The train driver reacted quickly and thankfully brought the train to a stop safely, short of where the car was burning.

"The train crew ensured all safety procedures were followed with the incident swiftly reported and emergency services attended the scene."

Northern Ireland is a part of the United Kingdom - thus this post is in "Wider Picture UK (United Kingdom)" and not "Wider Picture Overseas".

But I am moving on to a personal comment here that I look at the situation and wider events with deep despair rather than any optimism at all. In my view, while the UK was a part of the EU» (European Union - about), there was a reducing importance of borders both within the island of Ireland, and on the Irish Sea, and a real ongoing development of the province within the greater Europe which pointed towards a much more peaceful future for the future than we have seen in the past.  Sadly, Brexit has re-enforced those borders that had faded over the past couple of decades, and the peaceful route forward which was there and pretty well working for the most part has been torn asunder. Depressing.

I should add - I appreciate that there were many other issues involved in the choice that voters made for the UK to leave Europe, and I suspect that few people who voted to leave actually took too much notice of the effect of their vote on Northern Ireland - a place which I suspect a minority of English people (written carefully - English not British) have visited.

Poll - NOT asking for political votes, purely to inform on travel / visits to Northern Ireland of our members.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 09:26:29 »

An outcome I feared and projected
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 09:33:58 »

Completely agree with you.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 12:31:15 »

I don’t believe the “pro -Brexit” politicians even thought about Northern Ireland for more than a few seconds. 

Completely foreseeable issues unfortunately...
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 14:17:16 »

Politics means a lot more in Northern Ireland than it does in England, and always has. Borders of any kind are a major issue, and the London government didn't get it. Years ago, border posts arrived, and were attacked. The police were sent to protect the posts, and ultimately the army was sent to protect the police. Smuggling flourished, and darker forces took advantage. I sincerely hope that we never end up in that situation again, not even if I have my own family border post.

Now, please!
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 07:02:36 »

I do wish people would stop using this photo staged by the Ulster Unionists/Brexit supporters.

Part of the problem is that politicians both sides of the water have not been open and honest about Brexit and its implications to the people of Northern Ireland.
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 13:50:29 »

I did think that photo looked odd. There'd be no point stopping cyclists (you surely still don't need a passport to cross the border so nothing to check?) and the official is wearing something resembling a 1970s London Underground Station Inspector's uniform...
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 14:12:15 »

I do wish people would stop using this photo staged by the Ulster Unionists/Brexit supporters.

I'll tell the rest of my family. Smiley

(I suppose you need to know a little more about me to understand why. That "K" has to stand for something.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 09:49:32 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 14:23:16 »

(you surely still don't need a passport to cross the border so nothing to check?)

Very interesting comment.  The last time I was in Northern Ireland was in 2019 - well before Brexit was implemented.

I rode the train from Dublin to Belfast - no checks, just like a domestic journey even though it was international.  I then took the ferry from Belfast (gawd it's a long walk from Belfast Central!) to Birkenhead - a domestic journey, and on arrival at Birkenhead I was grilled by a member of the security forces and asked for ID as if it was an international journey. 

Great temptation was to ask why passengers on this domestic journey were being challenged (never had it on the Isle of Wight ferry!) but with an advance fare train to catch at Lime Street and a meeting (remember them?) in London, I decided to go along with answers to intrusive questions.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 17:41:56 »

Poll closed ... "How often have you visited Northern Ireland?
Never.   - 17 (42.5%)
Just once   - 14 (35%)
A few times   - 8 (20%)
Quite often   - 0 (0%)
Frequently   - 1 (2.5%)
I live there   - 0 (0%)

As noted at the start, this was very much a fact-finding poll, and not seeking an opinion.   The shape of the result (far move people hardly been there than regulars) is not a surprise, but the magnitude of the difference is.

I dispair / have no magic answer I can suggest to troubles.  While Ireland and Great Britain were growing even closer, the troubles were less.  Now with the British decision to separate, it's being torn apart.

I am aware I didn't ask a second "control" question ... I wonder what "how often have you visited Scotland" would reveal?

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 18:22:11 »

I am aware I didn't ask a second "control" question ... I wonder what "how often have you visited Scotland" would reveal?

I would be interested to see the answers......
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 05:12:05 »

I would be interested to see the answers......

Question asked ... answer at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=24906.msg304899#msg304899

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: