Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:15:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Templecombe to Swindon, bignosemac & Finn trip report.  (Read 3337 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2021, 11:26:37 »

Today, 16th April 2021, Finn and I are off to Swindon to see bobm and have a garden lunch with a beer or three.

I'm travelling via Salisbury, Basingstoke and Reading. To read about the ticketing issues for this journey see my topic in 'Fares Fair'.

First train of the day was the 1029 from Templecombe to Salisbury. South Western Railway are still operating a less frequent two hourly weekday off peak service on the West of England Mainline. There are also no through trains between Exeter St David's and London Waterloo. Everyone must change at Salisbury. This is something of an inconvenience, and now that people are returning to rail travel it does cause something of a bottleneck around the gateline and subway if the change isn't cross-platform. I'm told that the two hourly service with changes at Salisbury is likely to remain in place until the May timetable change. This first train, 6 cars, was pretty well loaded. Not far off what I'd say was normal for the first off peak train of the day from Exeter to Salisbury.

As I type, I'm on my second train of the morning. The 1121 Salisbury to Basingstoke. 9 cars and much more lightly loaded.

Salisbury, this is Salisbury. All change. All change!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 13:23:52 »

No on board ticket checks on the first two trains. Cursory glance at my ticket as I exited the gateline at Basingstoke to have a stroll while waiting on next train. Now on my third train, the 1249 Basingstoke to Reading CrossCountry service. Despite XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) saying they are reservation only at the moment I was able to board after asking Train Manager. I did try a '10 minute reservation' but the system said no seats available. On board I'm in the second to last carriage of a 2x 4 car Class 220 Voyager train. Just 6 passengers (plus me and Finn!) in this carriage.

Now just left Reading after making an unofficial connection onto the 1313 Swansea service. Having a beer! Missed doing so on a train. Slightly uncouth, swigging directly from the can.

Welcome to sunny Basingstoke.

Cheers!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 16:32:17 »

Through to Swindon on time and not a single ticket check.

Now sat in bobm's garden having had a cracking Ploughman's lunch. Washed down with some Fullers ESB.

Oh, and I had to build the patio table!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 18:01:33 »

Oh, and I had to build the patio table!

Well, there’s no such thing as a free lunch! Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 18:23:57 »

Last beer before headed back to Swindon. Taking the 'correct' routeing for my ticket on the way home. 1852 Swindon to Salisbury via Melksham.

Whilst we were sat having lunch we heard a thump. Didn't think much of it at the time until bobm looked out his living room window. Someone had come down the street opposite and taken out two bollards. Apparently they nearly hit a pedestrian too.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 18:47:08 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 18:50:06 »

Last beer before headed back to Swindon. Taking the 'correct' routeing for my ticket on the way home. 1852 Swindon to Salisbury via Melksham.

Swindon to Templecombe is a lopsided journey ... it can be made with just a single train change, whereas at least two changes are needed for the journey in the opposite direction.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 18:55:09 »

First train home. 1852 Swindon to Salisbury.

I think Finn has enjoyed the day. He's a little pooped.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 19:07:19 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 19:11:06 »

I don’t know if Finn was worn out or just glad to get warm.  Al fresco is all very well but it did get a bit nippy.

Still good to catch up and a great afternoon.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 19:21:23 by bobm » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 19:21:16 »

Picture quiz. Where was I today?

Wink Tongue Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 19:21:41 »

Wink Tongue Grin

Taunton
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 19:35:43 »

Taunton

That was the answer I was expecting. So... correct!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 20:31:54 »

Wink Tongue Grin

Taunton

Well, they do say the place is a bit of a sham  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 20:33:20 »

Nearly on the final leg. 50 minute wait at Salisbury for the 2055 Salisbury to Templecombe. I'm killing time in the beer garden at the Bishop's Mill pub on Fisherton St. Sat under a nice warm patio heater.

Cheers again!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 20:38:52 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 20:42:51 »

Nearly on the final leg. 50 minute wait at Salisbury for the 2055 Salisbury to Templecombe. I'm killing time in the beer garden at the Bishop's Mill pub on Fisherton St. Sat under a nice warm patio heater.

I remember doing that on a few rail days out in the early 90s as a young whippersnapper. Funny how some things never change!

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 21:47:37 »

I remember doing that on a few rail days out in the early 90s as a young whippersnapper. Funny how some things never change!

... except, perhaps, that patio heaters now raise ethical issues.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: