tomorrow - WWRUG AGM
23/03/24 - Trains restart - Minehead
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningDelayed
02:24 Reading to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 03:28:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Spot the line, compare the service (3 of 3)  (Read 3609 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 19, 2021, 04:47:00 »

Third and final set ... ranging from the absurdly easy to the quite tricky!
One each, please.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 18:31:40 »

Come on folks - I've been too busy all day to look at this, so it could be your best chance yet  Grin

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Southernman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 18:46:26 »

No 2 - Exeter St Davids/Central to London Waterloo? with Restaurant service.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 19:00:59 »

5. SW to NE services. Fond memories of the Devonian and Cornishman in my student days travelling to and from Birmingham, mainly from Taunton where my Dad dropped me off and picked me up.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Kempis
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 19:38:34 »

4. I think this must be Rosslare to Fishguard, with connections from Dublin (via Wexford and Waterford), Limerick (via Waterford), and somewhere else I can't identify (Mallow? Cork?); and with onward connections to Paddington.
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 20:26:29 »

Is 1. Twyford to Henley-on-Thames by any chance?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 21:18:37 »

Is 1. Twyford to Henley-on-Thames by any chance?

4. I think this must be Rosslare to Fishguard, with connections from Dublin (via Wexford and Waterford), Limerick (via Waterford), and somewhere else I can't identify (Mallow? Cork?); and with onward connections to Paddington.

5. SW to NE services. Fond memories of the Devonian and Cornishman in my student days travelling to and from Birmingham, mainly from Taunton where my Dad dropped me off and picked me up.

All those 3 are CORRECT.

No. 2 is not Exeter to Waterloo, though - sorry.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 22:02:42 »

7. The last two stations look like Reading and Paddington.  As for the preceding stations I hazard a guess at the Cotswold Line.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 07:40:53 »

7. The last two stations look like Reading and Paddington.  As for the preceding stations I hazard a guess at the Cotswold Line.

Reading and Paddington are involved - but it's not the Cotswold Line for number 7.

Open season ... more than 24 hours gone ... any more ideas?  2, 3, 6 and 7 still unresolved.

PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 11:19:59 »

3. This looks a strange one.  It's a long route with long durations between stops, and no connections mentioned.  It doesn't look like the complete service over a line, more like some sort of summary table, with the full service on the lines being shown in other tables.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 12:11:47 »

3. This looks a strange one.  It's a long route with long durations between stops, and no connections mentioned.  It doesn't look like the complete service over a line, more like some sort of summary table, with the full service on the lines being shown in other tables.

Yes, it is an unusual one.  Unlike all of the other timetables, this one is for Saturdays.  And indeed all the stations and most of the lines have other scheduled passenger trains running over them.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 13:37:48 »

Yes, it is an unusual one.  Unlike all of the other timetables, this one is for Saturdays.  And indeed all the stations and most of the lines have other scheduled passenger trains running over them.

Complete punt - But is 3 the Melksham line without the Melksham?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 14:19:13 »

Is 7 Birmingham New Street, Leamington, Banbury to London, via Bicester to Marylebone and via Oxford to Paddington?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 14:41:38 »

Complete punt - But is 3 the Melksham line without the Melksham?

Yes ... and here is the complete table:

I will correct my earlier comment - there WERE still timetable public trains over the TransWilts that year ... though I suspect the table shown might have been the only service over the west to north curve at Didcot at the time.

Monday to Friday, and Saturdays from 9th September
Trowbridge to Swindon at 14:55 arriving there at 15:50, with an intermediate call at Chippenham at 15:26 (connection - same train? - Westbury to Trowbridge at 14:15)
Swindon to Westbury at 18:12, arriving there 19:27.  Intermediate calls at Chippenham at (18:34-18:53) and Trowbridge at 19:19

Sundays until 3rd September
Swindon to Weymouth at  10:10 (arriving Weymouth 12:28)
Weymouth to Swindon at  19:44 (arriving Swindon 22:15)

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 15:02:05 »

Is 7 Birmingham New Street, Leamington, Banbury to London, via Bicester to Marylebone and via Oxford to Paddington?

Close enough to give it to you ...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: