Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:05:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Helping me learn - technical bus stuff  (Read 4023 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 25, 2021, 08:03:29 »

1. What is the comparative running cost (let's look at modern equivalent age vehicles) in miles per gallon (or kms per litre) between a minibus, a standard sized bus, and a double decker?

2. Is there any data on the effect on run times of using fewer bigger vehicles.  If a minibus leaving every 15 minutes and picking up / dropping off along the way takes an hour to get to destination, how long would a standard bus take, allowing longer for boarding and leaving the bus, and how long would an hourly double decker take?  For simplicity of calculation (ha, ha) let's assume the same number of people travelling over the hours, whether they're split between 4, 2 or on 1 vehicle;

3. I personally feel that the ride is smoother (and I say smoother not smooth for some of my local roads) in a larger vehicle - but is that anecdotal or is there data to back it up?  Again, personally, I  prefer the smoother ride.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 08:22:14 »

Might the smoother ride come from having air bag secondary suspension, rather like the High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train))? The air bags providing the cushioning and allowing the suspension to be lowered at stops to make it easier to board.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 09:25:15 by VickiS » Logged
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 10:50:48 »

As you know, grahame, in my role as researcher and draft timetabler for Option 24/7, I am currently particularly focused on matters relating to 2)

When it comes to town bus services in Wiltshire - which I suspect you particularly have in mind here - it is often a more complex comparison than how your question is framed. For example, with the town minibus services that Wiltshire Council subsidise in Melksham and other towns in the TransWilts hinterland, the Council insist on a certain amount of leeway in the running times that can make them seem slower when compared to (say) the commercial conventional bus 271 route - which Faresaver set their own timings for - over common sections of route.

One of my aims in negotiations with the Council will be to see if there is scope for a reduction in this leeway regarding new rail link feeder bus service timings where they dont have to access "minibus only" areas such as the Methuen and Sherwood estates en route. I have been working on a batch of such timetables, and a closer match of timings would be beneficial for when they combine with commercial conventional bus services - as they will be far more integrated together in future under the new DfT» (Department for Transport - about) Bus Strategy - on common sections of route.

On 1) it is obviously important to pay particular attention to how the whole "miles per gallon" rationale will change given the DfT Bus Strategy's heavy focus on Decarbonisation and clear move towards Zero Emission bus services, and consequent phasing out of Diesel in favour of technologies such as Electric and Hydrogen.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 17:01:15 »

1)
A Mercedes sprinter based minibus can expect around 20mpg and seats 16-20
Optare solo SR(resolve) 9.9m around 12-15mpg seats 36
Volvo B7TL Gemini double decker around 6mpg seats 78
Volvo B7R profile wheelchair coach around 8mpg seats 45-53 depending on configuration with wheelchair space.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 20:56:13 »

So I make that:

33 mpg20 mpg12-15 mpg8 mpg6 mpg
5 seats16-20 seats36 seats45-53 seats78 seats
165 mspg350 mspg486 mspg392 mspg468 mspg

Edit - changing some picture to more local buses and "mpsg" to "mspg"
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 17:20:12 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 06:52:13 »

Not so much in rural services, but some people would also argue that the road space taken is important.

The double decker is a more efficient use of road space than a taxi. Others would also use the comparison of how many bikes would fit in the same road space, e.g. four bikes in the space of the taxi that normally only has two people in it.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 13:04:15 »

Huh I’m wondering if miles per gallon x seats should be written as mile x seats per gallon, ie mspg?

Paul
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 16:02:04 »

Huh I’m wondering if miles per gallon x seats should be written as mile x seats per gallon, ie mspg?

Paul

It probably should - I'll go back and change mpsg to mspg.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 07:55:25 »

Many thanks for the inputs ... completed article at http://grahamellis.uk/blog117.html

"Why is a double decker running around my town / village with very few people on it? Isn't that wasteful? Wouldn't it be better to use minibuses or taxis?" Good questions - asked of me in multiple community areas, including my 'home' area of Melksham.

[long snip]

Conclusion

For the most part, the bus operators are being efficient, and the routine appearance of lightly loaded double decker buses on your street is worthy of asking about, but you can be re-assured it's not far off the best arrangement possible at the moment.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 10:50:58 »

A typical double decker is 10m- 10.5m in length compared to a standard single decker is 12m-12.5m.

If one journey on the buses running card for a day requires peak capacity of a double decker, it is then most cost effective to have a double decker running that running card all day.

A double decker bus May only have 5 passengers on at 12 noon,  but that bus working may have covered the 8am that has 60 passengers.
If it’s a 2 hour round trip it car often be expected to see the same vehicle every 2 hours, it isn’t viable to have a spare fleet of single deckers to swap for a double between peaks.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 14:54:37 »

Presumably it's as imialr argument to Thameslink running round with 8 and 12 car units all day rather than having fleets of 4 and 6 cars and splitting off peak and stabling the spare units.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: