16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 07:02:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with IET trains from April 2021  (Read 94796 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: May 23, 2021, 11:28:58 »

As ever, you need to take Journeycheck with a pinch of salt - for example, the 11:03 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) and 15:10 PLY-PAD are being operated with a 9-car, not a 5-car as listed.

If anyone’s out and about it would be interesting to know how busy the trains are?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #361 on: May 23, 2021, 11:48:45 »

And a few West Country cancellations of 'local trains' due to staff shortage.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 23, 2021, 12:58:23 »

As ever, you need to take Journeycheck with a pinch of salt - for example, the 11:03 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) and 15:10 PLY-PAD are being operated with a 9-car, not a 5-car as listed.

If anyone’s out and about it would be interesting to know how busy the trains are?

Trains heading north and east from Totnes are very busy.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 23, 2021, 15:43:18 »

Can I ask how busy?  Full and standing busy, or social distancing maximums busy?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 23, 2021, 16:43:12 »

Looking at Tiger at Swindon I have seen one service to Weston super Mare and two from Bristol reported as full and standing this afternoon.

All formed of five coaches.

Edit to add:  Also 1C22 Pad to Plymouth via Bristol. Also 5 coaches.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 23, 2021, 16:52:15 »

Looking at Tiger at Swindon I have seen one service to Weston super Mare and two from Bristol reported as full and standing this afternoon.

Hopefully they can sort this out in time for next (Bank Holiday) weekend and half term.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 23, 2021, 17:12:35 »

Hopefully they can sort this out in time for next (Bank Holiday) weekend and half term.

Seems unlikely in my view.
All GWR (Great Western Railway) IETs (Intercity Express Train) have been inspected and those judged fit for use are presumably back in service.
No near term plans for repairs, certainly not by next weekend.
It therefore seems unlikely that availability of IETs will increase significantly by next weekend. There might be a slight increase if units stopped for routine service or unrelated mechanical issues return to availability by next weekend.

Extra rolling stock was considered but with little result.
Two sets of loco hauled coaches hired from Riviera trains were proposed but presumably considered too embarrassing/too expensive/too hard. 
A couple of full length loco hauled trains would provide a lot of extra capacity, embarrassing though.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 23, 2021, 17:37:35 »

All GWR (Great Western Railway) IETs (Intercity Express Train) have been inspected and those judged fit for use are presumably back in service.
It therefore seems unlikely that availability of IETs will increase significantly by next weekend. There might be a slight increase if units stopped for routine service or unrelated mechanical issues return to availability by next weekend.

Two sets of loco hauled coaches hired from Riviera trains were proposed but presumably considered too embarrassing/too expensive/too hard. 
A couple of full length loco hauled trains would provide a lot of extra capacity, embarrassing though.

I thought you were arranging assistance from The Flying Scotsman and Tornado?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 23, 2021, 17:39:41 »

Efforts to secure additional stock are still ongoing.  I don't think it'll be loco and coaches unless things get really desperate as they are expensive and slow.  Some more Hitachi units borrowed from somewhere, TPE (Trans Pennine Express) perhaps, could be an option?  Or more 387s.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: May 23, 2021, 17:47:52 »

I thought you were arranging assistance from The Flying Scotsman and Tornado?

He had Tornado out yesterday for testing...https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2021/05/steam-locomotive-60163-tornado-to-pass-through-york-and-carlisle-this-saturday.html

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #370 on: May 23, 2021, 18:13:08 »

Three questions, bearing in mind each 5 car train ahas around 320 seats, perhaps 100 with social distancing

1. Does "full" mean there are over 100 people on the train, or over 300?

2. When someone presses a button / selecting from a menu to say that a train is beyond capacity and flag it into the system, does it automatically come up with the phrase "full and standing" ... even if in reality under Covid there are 150 people on the train and they'll all be seated - but too close to each other under current guidelines?

3. Are the 100 v 300 figures on social distancing used to make the judgement of what's allowed, even if the leisure travellers - much seen at the weekend - are travelling in bubbles that do not need to distance between each other?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 23, 2021, 19:33:31 »

Can I ask how busy?  Full and standing busy, or social distancing maximums busy?

Not quite full and standing, but most seats taken, so exceeding social distancing maximums.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 23, 2021, 19:36:37 »

Good questions, Graham.

I must admit I’ve seen nothing getting remotely busy enough where all seats are close to being taken, but I’m a long way from Cornwall so appreciate it might be different down there.

Thanks for that info, Phil.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 24, 2021, 09:32:19 »

There was talk about 387s running to Bristol Parkway, and as of today they are: the first return trip is about to start.

They seem to be running the few such IET (Intercity Express Train) services in the timetable, which last week were often cancelled. Those didn't all call at Didcot, but now these do, taking three minutes extra. They have also been allowed seven minutes more on account of being slower stock.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 24, 2021, 10:20:59 »

387 152 paired with 387 165 preparing to leave Bristol Parkway with the 10:19 to London Paddington (running as 9L43)

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: