Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:20:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with IET trains from April 2021  (Read 93539 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 09:41:20 »

But presumably Hitachi specified or supplied the trolleys ? They have an Hitachi asset number affixed, or did when I last looked.

I'm not sure they did. Both the Master Availability and Reliability Agreement  (MARA (Master Availability and Reliability Agreement)) and Train Availability and Reliability Agreement (TARA (Train Availability and Reliability Agreement)) as published (dated 2014) include "Level 4 catering trolley" in their definition of terms under catering equipment, but neither mentions therm in the text. At that stage (after Agility was given a contract, but before the interior design was fixed) "trolley storage facilities" was listed as one of the subjects to be dealt with by "consultation with the user population" under "progressive design assurance".

It looks as if it became clear later on that the trolleys could only be sensibly kept with the trains in the depots, so were best maintained by the Train Service Provider (TSP (Train Service Provider)) (Agility). The way the contracts are set up that means the Train Service Provider(TSP) has to own them, but not necessarily decide their specification. However, they don't appear on the (very long) list of spares to be held by the Train Service Provider (TSP), so I assume this was a late change and covered by a contract change not in the public version.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 23:06:06 by VickiS » Logged
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2021, 10:38:16 »

But presumably Hitachi specified or supplied the trolleys ? They have an Hitachi asset number affixed, or did when I last looked.

I'm not sure they did. Both the MARA (Master Availability and Reliability Agreement) and TARA (Train Availability and Reliability Agreement) as published (dated 2014) include "Level 4 catering trolley" in their definition of terms under catering equipment, but neither mentions therm in the text. At that stage (after Agility was given a contract, but before the interior design was fixed) "trolley storage facilities" was listed as one of the subjects to be dealt with by "consultation with the user population" under "progressive design assurance".

It looks as if it became clear later on that the trolleys could only be sensibly kept with the trains in the depots, so were best maintained by the TSP (Train Service Provider) (Agility). The way the contracts are set up that means the TSP has to own them, but not necessarily decide their specification. However, they don't appear on the (very long) list of spares to be held by the TSP, so I assume this was a late change and covered by a contract change not in the public version.

Before VickiS has reads this and has a coronary, MARA stands for "Master Availability and Reliability Agreement", TARA stands for "Train Availability and Reliability Agreement" and TSP stands for "Train Service Provider"

Hope that clarifies things more than my Marsh Barton post did...although I must give them bonus points for the use of "consultation with the user population" under "progressive design assurance" - Outstanding!

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2021, 11:26:56 »

Before VickiS has reads this and has a coronary, MARA (Master Availability and Reliability Agreement) stands for "Master Availability and Reliability Agreement", TARA (Train Availability and Reliability Agreement) stands for "Train Availability and Reliability Agreement" and TSP (Train Service Provider) stands for "Train Service Provider"

Hope that clarifies things more than my Marsh Barton post did...although I must give them bonus points for the use of "consultation with the user population" under "progressive design assurance" - Outstanding!

Of course the words chosen for the name of something, abbreviated or not, can be a poor guide to what it really is or does - as you hint there. The MARA is 731 pages of ... stuff (to be credited to Hogan Lovells International LLP), so there's plenty of room for things to hide until you search explicitly for them or stumble across them. For example:

Seats are included under progressive design assurance, with each mention worded as "seat design, including comfort". But there are more words about the "Seat Weight Model":
... the TSP will develop the seats for the Sets in a way that allows the Secretary of State to have full visibility of the weight issues relating to seats (which shall involve, as a minimum, the TSP providing the Secretary of State with a Seat Weight Model which shall be updated on a periodic basis as agreed by the parties to reflect the emerging Design), provided that in finalising the design of the seats, the TSP shall also comply with the other Requirements and the requirements of Applicable Laws and Standards and Applicable Derogations.

Seats also get a mention under "Glass Case Standards". What's one of them? (There is a definition provided, fortunately.)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2021, 14:37:18 »

Before we lose sight of the original matter, have they been fixed yet?

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2021, 16:50:45 »

Before we lose sight of the original matter, have they been fixed yet?

I've not seen any news. perhaps a more important question now is how many others have been found on inspection across all fleets. But replacing a few bogies should have been quite possible.

The Master Availability and Reliability Agreement (MARA (Master Availability and Reliability Agreement)) lists "major incident spares", essentially parts of the carriage bodies only likely to be bent by a collision, and "damage and vandalism spares", essentially running gear, some of them  likely to be broken by hitting things on the track or by passenger misbehaviour. However, the list also covers items needed for routine maintenance, where performance is the Train Service Provider's (TSP (Train Service Provider))'s responsibility. It may be hard to split that list on a "who pays" basis.

Either way, the level of spares holding should be a good guide to how many such things can be found at once. The parts' names, on the other hand, are hard to interpret in some cases without a labelled diagram. The list is is no logical order, and names short, so where bits go is ambiguous (e.g. is the "Lateral Bump Stop Rubber" part of a toilet door or a bogie?). These look relevant, or in some cases obvious things that may give some context:

Pantograph Complete             10
Vacuum Circuit Breaker (VCB (Vacuum Circuit Breaker - electrification))  5
Main Transformer                  2
Induction Traction Motor        6
Bogie Truck Assembly (Motor)  8
Bogie Frame                         4
Air Spring                            8
Traction Link                        6
Anti-Rolling Equipment           8
Wheel Set (M)                     16
Bogie Truck Assembly (Trailer) 6
Bogie Frame                         4
Wheel Set (T)                      16
Carbon Strip                        80
Wiper Blade With Rubber        80
Yaw Damper                        40
Lateral Damper                     40
Lateral Bump Stop Rubber      10
Brake Pad                           170
Primary Vertical Damper         40

That list is for the original GWR (Great Western Railway) 800/801 fleet, and appears to be subject to revision at the contract date. But it does suggest that enough bogies could be found quickly, unless they are all trailer bogies (I don't think they can be). Assuming this is still a production item, new castings to replace the cracked ones should also be available on a slightly longer timescale.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 23:07:55 by VickiS » Logged
VickiS
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2021, 23:06:37 »

I'm not sure they did. Both the MARA (Master Availability and Reliability Agreement) and TARA (Train Availability and Reliability Agreement) as published (dated 2014) include "Level 4 catering trolley" in their definition of terms under catering equipment, but neither mentions therm in the text. At that stage (after Agility was given a contract, but before the interior design was fixed) "trolley storage facilities" was listed as one of the subjects to be dealt with by "consultation with the user population" under "progressive design assurance".

It looks as if it became clear later on that the trolleys could only be sensibly kept with the trains in the depots, so were best maintained by the TSP (Train Service Provider) (Agility). The way the contracts are set up that means the TSP has to own them, but not necessarily decide their specification. However, they don't appear on the (very long) list of spares to be held by the TSP, so I assume this was a late change and covered by a contract change not in the public version.

Before VickiS has reads this and has a coronary, MARA stands for "Master Availability and Reliability Agreement", TARA stands for "Train Availability and Reliability Agreement" and TSP stands for "Train Service Provider"

Thank you very much Lee for that explenation! Much Apprechiated! Cheesy
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 08:50:37 »

So there are enough bogies and yaw dampers in stock to hopefully fix up a couple of trains until more can be brought in from Japan, if that is where they are made, or cast somewhere more local. This could be a very short term problem, provided a way of stopping it happening again has been found.

Now, please!
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2021, 09:19:05 »

I think it’s probably worth pointing out that the fix for this fault is not changing bogies or yaw dampers, as a few posts above seem to be suggesting. The cracks that have been discovered are on the body shells in the area where the yaw damper brackets are welded to the body shell

Some photos and reporting can be found on the rail business UK (United Kingdom) website (free registration maybe required to access the full article) https://www.railwaygazette.com/uk/fatigue-cracks-sideline-gwr-class-800s/59012.article
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2021, 10:26:47 »

I think it’s probably worth pointing out that the fix for this fault is not changing bogies or yaw dampers, as a few posts above seem to be suggesting. The cracks that have been discovered are on the body shells in the area where the yaw damper brackets are welded to the body shell

Some photos and reporting can be found on the rail business UK (United Kingdom) website (free registration maybe required to access the full article) https://www.railwaygazette.com/uk/fatigue-cracks-sideline-gwr-class-800s/59012.article

I agree.

Hitachi will carry out monitoring of the fleet, identify if its a batch / build issue metallurgical analysis etc.  They will almost certainly conduct an engineering risk assessment into the likelihood, consequences and severity of a catastrophic failure.

What mitigations can they put in place, reduced max speed untill a repair is effected etc

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2021, 13:03:17 »

I agree.

Hitachi will carry out monitoring of the fleet, identify if its a batch / build issue metallurgical analysis etc.  They will almost certainly conduct an engineering risk assessment into the likelihood, consequences and severity of a catastrophic failure.

What mitigations can they put in place, reduced max speed untill a repair is effected etc

Thank you both, for that clarification.

This happens in aviation to a degree. A certain wide-bodied jet based on an adaptation of a previous model began to show cracks at one of the points that was different to the earlier plane. At 500 mph and 38,000 feet, any failure would have been catastrophic. A fix was quickly found, tested and applied, and monitoring afterwards has shown it to have been successful. I am sure we will soon see a similar outcome with the IETs (Intercity Express Train).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 09:44:39 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2021, 03:17:56 »

Thanks for that, I was presuming that the cracks were in the Yaw dampers or bogies, expensive but replaceable or repairable components.
Cracks in the body shell sound more challenging. Presumably minor cracks can be monitored or perhaps "stop drilled*" to prevent them spreading.
Major cracks would seem to require cutting out the damaged part and welding in a new section. Welding of aluminium is a challenge and there can be some risk of new cracks starting from the join.

Are there any publicly viewable pictures of the damage, not requiring membership or subscription to view ?

*"stop drilling" is a technique used primarily on aircraft. When a small and not yet dangerous fatigue crack occurs, it tends to spread because of the concentrated stress at the end of the crack. Spread can sometimes be prevented or delayed by drilling a small hole at the end of the crack. This spreads the forces around the circumference of the hole rather than concentrating them at one tiny point at the end of the crack.
Regular inspection is required not only of the "stop drilled" part, but also of similar parts elsewhere on the vehicle or on similar vehicles.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2021, 10:23:56 »

However, we now have the vehicle numbers (814012 and 814013), and with formation data from the Spotlog site (now I wonder what that's about ...) these are both the same type and almost certainly type MEC3. So that's an intermediate motor coach, not a driving trailer as I had previously presumed.

814012 is out and about today on a diagram, so it can’t be too bad.  I imagine it’ll be more a case of monitoring rather than repair for the time being.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:38:10 by IndustryInsider » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2021, 06:05:36 »

Cancellations to services at London Paddington
Due to more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time at London Paddington fewer trains are able to run on some lines.
Train services running to and from this station have been cancelled. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
Customer Advice
Owing to the short notice unavailability of carriages which form our High Speed train services there will be no train services or alternative means of transport available for throughout journeys, in either direction, on the following routes :-
London Paddington - Swindon - Bath Spa - Bristol Temple Meads.
London Paddington - Swindon - Bristol Parkway - Newport - Cardiff Central - Swansea.
London Paddington - Reading - Taunton - Exeter St Davids - Plymouth - Penzance.
London Paddington - Reading - Oxford - Evesham - Worcester - Great Malvern - Hereford.
London Paddington - Reading - Swindon - Gloucester - Cheltenham Spa.
INTENDING CUSTOMERS FOR THESE ROUTES ARE ADVISED NOT TO ATTEMPT TO TRAVEL

In those areas such as Paddington / Reading / Didcot Parkway / Oxford / Bristol & Exeter local areas / Cardiff - Portsmouth and around 75% of Plymouth - Penzance services will continue to operate.
Further Information

If you hold a valid single, return, or weekly ticket, you will be able to claim compensation for delays of 15 minutes or more. Please keep your ticket and visit GWR (Great Western Railway).com/DelayRepay

Last Updated:08/05/2021 05:54

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2021, 06:08:36 »

Route affected
All LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) routes

TOC (Train Operating Company)(s) affected
LNER;
Description
A problem under investigation across the LNER route means services are subject to severe delays and cancellations today.
Customers are advised to not travel on LNER services today.
You are encouraged to use an alternative mode of transport to complete your journey today.
Customer Advice:
Due to social distancing requirements, seats are extremely limited on services and reservations are mandatory. Please visit the LNER website for more information.
LNER tickets for today are valid up to and including Sunday 16 May.
If you decide not to travel, a full refund is available. Please contact your original point of ticket purchase within 28 days to claim your refund.
Ticket Acceptance:
You may use routes listed on the following disruption map.
LNER tickets will be valid with the following train operating companies:
Avanti West Coast between London Euston and Manchester for customers with an open ticket
TransPennine Express between Manchester, Leeds and York
East Midlands Railway between London St Pancras International and Sheffield
Northern services between Sheffield, Leeds and York and via any other reasonable route
Thmeslink services between London, Stevenage and Peterborough

Rail replacement coaches are in operation at York, Newcastle and Edinburgh.
Check before you travel:
You can check your journey using the National Rail Enquiries real-time Journey Planner
Twitter:
If you would like to follow this incident on Twitter, please use #LNERUpdate
Compensation:
You may be entitled to compensation if you experience a delay in completing your journey today. Please keep your train ticket and make a note of your journey, as both will be required to support any claim.
We want to make information better – tell us how! Fill out this online Disruption Survey.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2021, 06:10:49 »

Hull Trains services on all routes

TOC (Train Operating Company)(s) affected
Hull Trains;
Description
A fault with Hull Trains fleet of trains means that that there will be short notice cancellations to Hull Trains services today.
Alternative travel advice:
You may use your tickets on Northern services between Hull and Sheffield. Customers are able to use East Midlands Railway services between Sheffield and London St Pancras International.
Customers at Retford and Grantham are advised to await further instructions.
Check before you travel:
You can check your journey using the National Rail Enquiries real-time Journey Planner
Twitter:
If you would like to follow this incident on Twitter, please use #HullTrains
Compensation:
You may be entitled to compensation if you experience a delay in completing your journey today. Please keep your train ticket and make a note of your journey, as both will be required to support any claim.
We want to make information better – tell us how! Fill out this online Disruption Survey.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: