Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:44:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with IET trains from April 2021  (Read 93525 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: June 11, 2021, 13:19:49 »

Details of an ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) review:

https://www.orr.gov.uk/search-news/orr-lessons-learned-review-hitachi-train-cracks

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 11, 2021, 19:00:53 »

I find this a bit weird. The content is given as:
ORR will work with Hitachi’s design and manufacturing teams and all relevant parties to:
● find the root cause of the
    – cracking in the jacking plate
    – cracking at the yaw damper bracket/anti-roll bar end of the bolster
● examine the industry processes relating to
    – identification of the problem
    – assessment of the safety risk
    – withdrawal of the trains from service
    – return of the trains to service
● identify potential improvements

Parts two and three make sense: they involve looking at procedures and processes and how well they worked. But the first part? This, and the first steps in the next part, are:
The criteria for selecting the materials, the joining methods and any post-joining treatment when designing vehicles to operate for the life of the contract.
● How the design, manufacturing and testing processes addressed the potential for stress corrosion cracking and fatigue cracking in the design.
● Hitachi’s processes to identify cracking in components during the life of the train.
● The background to the identification of the cracks in the bolster area, and how Hitachi managed the subsequent investigation and development of solutions.
● Whether the cracks in the jacking plates could have been found earlier.

So, ORR are going to contribute expertise as mutallurgists, are they? Who'd have thought! Even one step back, if it's about the engineering design and production quality processes, I'm not convinced it's expertise they can claim.

What was the next process in the chain? I think it's the customer's product design acceptance and quality assurance process. I can't work out exactly how that was done or by whom. Note that the requirement/specification probably doesn't say "shall not fall apart" (but we all know it shouldn't) so it may mall under the heading of quality.

There are several kinds of product acceptance process for rail vehicles, of which the main one is for NR» (Network Rail - home page), to give a certificate to run on the network. But that's mainly about systems and interfaces - will it work with our track, signals, power supply, and everything else. For those areas, and operational ones, there are safety cases to by filled in too (largely done by Ricardo for the 800s). Apart from crashworthiness, I don't think structural integrity is part of NR's acceptance process.

Now, it would make some sense to look at this area and see whether the various bits worked together well enough. There is also the question of whether this issue (of potential cracking) had safety implication at acceptance, and might that have been found at acceptance time. But none of that is on the ORR's list; instead they will be playing the at being amateur metallurgists.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 11, 2021, 19:36:59 »

Actually, there was no customer in the normal sense (i.e. purchaser) for the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.). They were retained by Hitachi (or perhaps formally sold to Agility) to fulfil a kind of lease. Some trains bought by ROSCOS might also not be bought by anyone who would fit as buyer then owner in the railway procedural sense. Note that most trains have been acquired by a TOC (Train Operating Company) to the certification stage, then transferred to a ROSCO» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) in a kind of sale and leaseback.

That makes Hitachi responsible for everything, so their internal quality processes - as customer and manufacturer talking to themselves - are relevant. What requirement they have to meet, and where it is, might be worth a study in itself.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 12, 2021, 08:52:29 »

I can not remember which trains were advised as being 3 car instead of 5 car, but believe that there were several earlier today.

After checking daily for the last couple of weeks, I can confirm I’ve finally found one IET (Intercity Express Train) diagram today (on a Paddington<>Oxford diagram) that is being covered by a 3-car turbo on an unplanned basis.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 12, 2021, 14:56:36 »

I find this a bit weird. The content is given as:
ORR will work with Hitachi’s design and manufacturing teams and all relevant parties to:
● find the root cause of the
    – cracking in the jacking plate
    – cracking at the yaw damper bracket/anti-roll bar end of the bolster
● examine the industry processes relating to
    – identification of the problem
    – assessment of the safety risk
    – withdrawal of the trains from service
    – return of the trains to service
● identify potential improvements

Parts two and three make sense: they involve looking at procedures and processes and how well they worked. But the first part? This, and the first steps in the next part, are:
The criteria for selecting the materials, the joining methods and any post-joining treatment when designing vehicles to operate for the life of the contract.
● How the design, manufacturing and testing processes addressed the potential for stress corrosion cracking and fatigue cracking in the design.
● Hitachi’s processes to identify cracking in components during the life of the train.
● The background to the identification of the cracks in the bolster area, and how Hitachi managed the subsequent investigation and development of solutions.
● Whether the cracks in the jacking plates could have been found earlier.

So, ORR are going to contribute expertise as mutallurgists, are they? Who'd have thought! Even one step back, if it's about the engineering design and production quality processes, I'm not convinced it's expertise they can claim.

What was the next process in the chain? I think it's the customer's product design acceptance and quality assurance process. I can't work out exactly how that was done or by whom. Note that the requirement/specification probably doesn't say "shall not fall apart" (but we all know it shouldn't) so it may mall under the heading of quality.

There are several kinds of product acceptance process for rail vehicles, of which the main one is for NR» (Network Rail - home page), to give a certificate to run on the network. But that's mainly about systems and interfaces - will it work with our track, signals, power supply, and everything else. For those areas, and operational ones, there are safety cases to by filled in too (largely done by Ricardo for the 800s). Apart from crashworthiness, I don't think structural integrity is part of NR's acceptance process.

Now, it would make some sense to look at this area and see whether the various bits worked together well enough. There is also the question of whether this issue (of potential cracking) had safety implication at acceptance, and might that have been found at acceptance time. But none of that is on the ORR's list; instead they will be playing the at being amateur metallurgists.

It will be more the ORR asking Hitachi to demonstrate via evidence and if the ORR need to expertise they will buy it in.

It is better they are doing this pre accident than as part of a post accident investigation

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 19, 2021, 16:05:59 »

It was expected that Hitachi would instrument an IET (Intercity Express Train) (inertial sensors, strain gauges, etc.) and run it as part of their investigation to find out what the bogies have been subjected to. There was a report on railforums that this has been out running under 3Zxx codes, and that this is also to clarify an ongoing dispute with NR» (Network Rail - home page) as to whether their track is more bent than Hitachi were told. Of course this relates to the issue of these trains' ride as well, though just how good or bad it is is still a matter of argument - it's notoriously subjective.

Looking back, the earliest outing I can see was in 15th (Tuesday). So far the train has been operated out of North Pole, unsurprisingly, by GWR (Great Western Railway) as ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) non-stop. We have had, all booked as STP:

15/6  PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) 3Z91 PNZ 3Z92 PAD
16/6  PAD 3Z10 SWA» (Swansea - next trains) 3Z11 PAD
17/6  PAD 3Z20 WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) 3Z21 PAD (3Z23 WOS 3Z23 PAD cancelled)
18/6  PAD 3Z91 PNZ 3Z92 PAD
19/6 (PAD 3Z40 SWA 3Z41 PAD cancelled)

and next week some more are already booked:
21/6  PAD 3Z10 SWA 3Z11 PAD
21/6  PAD 3Z20 WOS 3Z21 PAD 3Z23 WOS 3Z23 PAD (presumably both won't run!)
22/6  PAD 3Z91 PNZ 3Z92 PAD
23/6  PAD 3Z10 SWA 3Z11 PAD
24/6  PAD 3Z20 WOS 3Z21 PAD 3Z23 WOS 3Z23 PAD
25/6  PAD 3Z91 PNZ 3Z92 PAD

If you want to look at these, they are easier to spot using RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) with "non-passenger services" selected. .
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 19, 2021, 16:31:05 »

21/6  PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) 3Z20 WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) 3Z21 PAD 3Z23 WOS 3Z23 PAD (presumably both won't run!)

3Z20/21/22 are routed via Evesham but 3Z23 is via Stroud.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 19, 2021, 17:25:38 »

I can see the merit of running a specially instrumented train for test purposes/data gathering, but why run such a service as ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) and not carrying passengers ?
Whilst the weight of passengers and luggage is a small part of the total gross weight, it might possibly be significant and a test train running normally loaded might give more representative data. Sand bags are only a partial substitute as they do not move around.
It is just about possible that the problems are caused by full power at low speeds, as when accelerating away from station stops.
Use on a good selection of passenger workings would be representative of normal use.

I appreciate that test equipment and perhaps staff monitoring this may need a fair bit of space, but surely a 9 car, or a 5+5 with one vehicle locked out of use could be used.
The reduction in passenger capacity would be regrettable, but much less than that caused by withdrawing a whole train from passenger use in order to use it for test purposes.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 20, 2021, 09:36:13 »

I’m sure Hitachi are doing it this way for a reason.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 20, 2021, 10:19:10 »

I’m sure Hitachi are doing it this way for a reason.

I'd guess the main reason is operational - wanting to run or not run it based on that last recorded readings, change the set-up, repeat a route or do a new one, etc. It's not as if for the primary purpose it's needed for very long.

On the other hand, I can't understand why Hitachi hadn't got a few units fully instrumented from the start (assuming they didn't). Even more obviously, before that during trials and commissioning, wouldn't you want that kind of feedback about how the design was working? After all, some of the fleet have built-in monitoring of OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") and track geometry as standard, as well as forward CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision). There's no such thing as too much information!
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 03, 2021, 12:38:47 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Political Correspondent Chris Mason has tweeted the following this morning:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/status/1411261195064156165

Social distancing not really an option on this @gwrhelp train from Swansea to London Paddington. Very busy since Bristol Parkway, standing room only after stopping in Reading.

@GWRHelp
Hi there, sorry to see this Chris. Can you confirm which service you are travelling on please? - Brad

0822 Swansea to London Paddington. The explanation appears to be the train is half its normal length, for some reason.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 03, 2021, 13:23:03 »

I note the previous train from Reading, a 10-car from Bristol, was late due to an earlier fatality, so that would explain the heavy loadings after Reading, as there had been a twenty minute gap since the previous fast train.

It’s a train that was only booked to be a 5-car, but is one of the ones that should really be a 9/10 car.

As passenger numbers continue to rise, especially at weekends, there will be occasions when social distancing isn’t possible on every train.  I’m afraid that just has to be expected and accepted.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 03, 2021, 15:36:31 »

I note the previous train from Reading, a 10-car from Bristol, was late due to an earlier fatality, so that would explain the heavy loadings after Reading, as there had been a twenty minute gap since the previous fast train.

It’s a train that was only booked to be a 5-car, but is one of the ones that should really be a 9/10 car.

As passenger numbers continue to rise, especially at weekends, there will be occasions when social distancing isn’t possible on every train.  I’m afraid that just has to be expected and accepted.

Not sure it has to be accepted. Surely it's incumbent on train & platform staff to at least make an effort to prevent this type of scenario in the current environment especially at a station like Reading?

Couldn't announcements be made that the train approaching platform X will be setting down only due to overcrowding? Sure some won't listen but many will.

Elderly/vulnerable people especially will look at this with alarm.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 03, 2021, 15:49:57 »

Better get used to it.
New shorter trains are the future.
I will let others argue as to the reasons for the short forms, cracks ? other mechanical faults ? only booked to be a 5 car and therefore OK ?

I am not aware of any timetable for repairs, so the present covid mode/cracked train mode looks likely to continue for some years. By which time something else will probably go wrong.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 03, 2021, 22:56:25 »

Not sure it has to be accepted. Surely it's incumbent on train & platform staff to at least make an effort to prevent this type of scenario in the current environment especially at a station like Reading?

Couldn't announcements be made that the train approaching platform X will be setting down only due to overcrowding? Sure some won't listen but many will.

Yes, every effort should be made to inform and encourage passengers of alternatives, but it must be expected and accepted that social distancing still won’t always be possible.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: