Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 13:09:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[153] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[97] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[41] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[38] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[37] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with IET trains from April 2021  (Read 93595 times)
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: August 25, 2021, 12:58:23 »

There seem to be an unusually high number of short formations today – could this be due to the coupling issue?

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 25, 2021, 15:59:21 »

Possibly, but could also be slightly improved staff numbers. The degree of failed trains is often largely concealed by staff shortage. If a train is cancelled for want of staff, then who cares if it WOULD have been short formed. When staff are available, then more short formations result.

Or it might be unrelated breakdowns.
Or it might be an increase in mark one cracks.
Or mark two cracks.
Or as you suggest it might be the new cracks affecting the couplings.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 26, 2021, 14:42:27 »

There seem to be an unusually high number of short formations today – could this be due to the coupling issue?

Just daily availability fluctuations.  Yesterday wasn’t great, but today there are few traincrew related cancellations and few IET (Intercity Express Train) short forms.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 26, 2021, 14:58:35 »

Just daily availability fluctuations.  Yesterday wasn’t great, but today there are few traincrew related cancellations and few IET (Intercity Express Train) short forms.

There are a number of short forms today from London to Plymouth & Penzance.

Not the smartest move on the Thursday before the August Bank Holiday weekend, and with COVID infections on the rise in the region which may well be made worse by overcrowded trains.

I am sure someone will respond by saying "it's better than no train at all".

Remember folks, increased leisure travel is the railways future. This isn't the way to encourage it. Roll Eyes
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 26, 2021, 15:26:33 »

There's all sorts of wrong reports formation wise on journeycheck for today.  The only trains leaving Paddington all of today for Plymouth/Penzance that are not 9/10 cars are the 14:37 and 16:36 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) Semi-Fasts, and the 18:04 PAD-PNZ.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 26, 2021, 19:21:41 »

There's all sorts of wrong reports formation wise on journeycheck for today.  The only trains leaving Paddington all of today for Plymouth/Penzance that are not 9/10 cars are the 14:37 and 16:36 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) Semi-Fasts, and the 18:04 PAD-PNZ.

Just seen a tweet from someone on the 5 car 1804 PAD-PNZ, described as "packed, rammed and hideous", people standing throughout......let's hope COVID is taking time off for the Bank Holiday too.

Utter madness to short form this train on this date.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 26, 2021, 19:52:34 »

Just seen a tweet from someone on the 5 car 1804 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PNZ, described as "packed, rammed and hideous", people standing throughout......let's hope COVID is taking time off for the Bank Holiday too.

Utter madness to short form this train on this date.

IET (Intercity Express Train) supporters will no doubt say
Half a train is better than no train.
The service is better than looking at journey check suggests.
Social distancing no longer required so train length less important.
It is not always this bad.

Broadgage will say, I forecast that the new and often shorter trains would prove inadequate.
I more specifically forecast that the 18-03 (as it then was) would end being short formed. A particularly busy service and the LAST through train to Penzance.

Passengers in general, after experiencing the conditions reported are likely to say "never again" to GWR (Great Western Railway) trains.

Time to admit that the IET project has failed and to obtain alternative rolling stock. Not of course for the whole fleet, may as well carry on using the IETs that still work. But time to admit defeat  and obtain some alternative stock to avoid this sort of thing.
Charter stock perhaps ? or are there any spare HSTs (High Speed Train) left ? I know that HST scrapping was accelerated, but have they ALL been scrapped ?
Even heritage stock for branch lines to free up Turbos for busy London services.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 21:18:32 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 26, 2021, 22:39:56 »

It was the barnpot decision to build so many 5 car sets rather than more single full length sets that for me is the biggest failure of the IET (Intercity Express Train) project. Look at the trouble it’s caused on the GWML (Great Western Main Line), also on the ECML (East Coast Main Line) but to a lesser extent.

Passengers who used to be conveyed on 8 carriage HSTs (High Speed Train) now regularly rammed into 5 carriage trains. It’s pathetic.

This has been going on since day 1 so you can’t blame cracks appearing on sets as to the reason why Hitachi cannot provide the correct number of trains.

Agree, you cannot trust Journeycheck…I’ve seen five vice 9/10 car sets that WEREN’T listed on Journeycheck!

Having any services to/from the Southwest, bar perhaps the off peak semi fasts, as five car sets is absolutely ridiculous and I see nothing being done to resolve this. In fact, the complete opposite now every set will need to be repaired.

The 18:04 Penzance as a five car set in the Summer crazy!

Short trains. Short of traincrew  Roll Eyes

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 27, 2021, 03:14:14 »

"It will be ok when the whole fleet has been delivered" (so why start withdrawing HSTs (High Speed Train) BEFORE then ?)
" It will be ok when staff are are trained on the new trains" (the need for training seemed to come as a surprise)
" It will be ok when reliability modifications have been completed" So much for Japanese reliability !
" The coupling/uncoupling failures will lessen with greater familiarity"
" All trains to/from London that need to be full length, will be."
" No one needs full length trains with covid reducing travel"
" Many of the problems are due to staff self isolating"
" Once the trains are inspected for cracks, all will be well"
" We don't need the full fleet because we have reduced the timetable"

My famous crystal ball forecast this.

Time for action. Hitachi should pay for alternative rolling stock.
IET (Intercity Express Train) supporters will no doubt dismiss this as broadgage bingo, but in what ways do they consider this project to have been a success.

And if as has been suggested, hitachi wriggle out of paying up then they should be banned FOREVER from any UK (United Kingdom) government funded project. Not just rail projects.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 27, 2021, 03:33:13 »

It was the barnpot decision to build so many 5 car sets rather than more single full length sets that for me is the biggest failure of the IET (Intercity Express Train) project. Look at the trouble it’s caused on the GWML (Great Western Main Line), also on the ECML (East Coast Main Line) but to a lesser extent.

Passengers who used to be conveyed on 8 carriage HSTs (High Speed Train) now regularly rammed into 5 carriage trains. It’s pathetic.

This has been going on since day 1 so you can’t blame cracks appearing on sets as to the reason why Hitachi cannot provide the correct number of trains.

Agree, you cannot trust Journeycheck…I’ve seen five vice 9/10 car sets that WEREN’T listed on Journeycheck!

Having any services to/from the Southwest, bar perhaps the off peak semi fasts, as five car sets is absolutely ridiculous and I see nothing being done to resolve this. In fact, the complete opposite now every set will need to be repaired.

The 18:04 Penzance as a five car set in the Summer crazy!

Short trains. Short of traincrew  Roll Eyes

Careful now, or you also will start to sound like me Smiley

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 27, 2021, 07:12:35 »

Careful now, or you also will start to sound like me Smiley
Bit of a way to go yet there Broadgage as I actually quite like IETs (Intercity Express Train), more especially the EC version. Nicer interior, slightly more comfortable seats, buffet but most of all; they almost entirely run on electric traction. That’s when they are at there best on the GWML (Great Western Main Line) also, which for all routes bar the South Wales mainline is nowhere near enough. Can’t blame the trains for that one.

My main gripe is there should have mainly been a like for like replacement in terms of train length with a small fleet of 5 coach trains for lesser used routes/services. And yes, a buffet certainly on the SW fleet.

At the end of the day the management of GWR (Great Western Railway) know all this but what can they do about it with a train that was forced on them by the government for the next 30 or so years?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 27, 2021, 10:47:30 »

Even I would have considered IETs (Intercity Express Train) an acceptable modern train if they had buffets, padded seats, and were reliably full length.
I don't remember HSTs (High Speed Train) ever being half length ! (and yes I know that failed HSTs were handled by taking a working example from another route, that however is no consolation for long distance passengers who used to simply get an HST, but now have a lottery as to 5 car or full length)

I don't blame Hitachi for the absence of buffets or the excessive numbers of 5 car units, that is what the customer ordered.

I do however blame Hitachi for the unreliability whether due to cracks or otherwise. Likewise I blame Hitachi for the failure to cope with waves at Dawlish.

In my view, the government or the relevant agencies thereof should be stricter with Hitachi over this failed project. "You built them, you make them work" Should be the message.
In particular I feel that Hitachi should be required to lengthen some of the 5 car sets to full 9 car length ENTIRELY AT THEIR EXPENSE  as compensation for the long term lack of availability.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #477 on: August 27, 2021, 12:08:03 »

I don't remember HSTs (High Speed Train) ever being half length ! ...

Ah, but in current times they're running as 4 car short-forms in Cornwall up to Bristol / Cardiff, and on main lines within Scotland.  With the disadvantage over IETs (Intercity Express Train) that they can't be coupled in pairs.

There do seem to be too many shorter-than-ideal IETs running around at the moment, and that's even with "The Bedwyns" being "Turbotuted".   What the various plans are/were in terms of what %age of services could be short users contracts, and how many services could be shorter than ideal, I don't know.   Add to that cracks and crew shortages and changing patterns of travel and the equations are difficult to work out or feed data into.  Classic smoke and mirrors stuff.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 27, 2021, 12:40:30 »

My crystal ball said that the "new trains will be too short" and I pointed out three other major fleet renewals that resulted in new trains being too short.

Experts said "this time will be different"

And now, many IET (Intercity Express Train) services are too short. I will let others argue about the exact proportion of short forms resulting from different causes, but the average passenger simply knows new trains=shorter trains.

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 27, 2021, 13:54:03 »

There's another factor for which Hitatchi cannot be blamed.

If the first phase of the GWM electrification had gone to plan, with wires to Oxford and Bristol Temple Meads, GW (Great Western) could have used all those colourful Electrostars that the other TOCs (Train Operating Company) have lent them to cover a larger proportion of IET (Intercity Express Train) services while (hopefully) they are being fixed.

Indeed, if we had had a sustained proper electrification campaign in the last 40 years any stock anywhere in the UK (United Kingdom) apart from 3rd rail only could have filled the gap.....
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: