Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Warminster
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
19:04 London Paddington to Penzance
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 14:35:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[85] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[36] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[34] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[33] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with IET trains from April 2021  (Read 93604 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: October 11, 2021, 19:06:22 »

There is another problem begining to occur with wrong side door releases.  When the driver initiates a correct side door release, there have been a couple of instances when a door on the wrong side has been released in addition.

Perhaps they should head for the West of England line after all - That would be perfect for Templecombe...

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 11, 2021, 22:03:30 »

And the next one please?

Seats -> Catering -> Bicycles -> Surf Boards -> Cracks ............. now diesel pollution!

Followed by unwanted door releases.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 12, 2021, 07:00:33 »

There is another problem begining to occur with wrong side door releases.  When the driver initiates a correct side door release, there have been a couple of instances when a door on the wrong side has been released in addition.

That’s a potentially very serious issue, though I’ve not heard any reports of it happening.  Are you able to provide any more information?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 12, 2021, 12:54:34 »

That’s a potentially very serious issue, though I’ve not heard any reports of it happening.  Are you able to provide any more information?

I agree, this is a most serious failure IF the reports are accurate, which PERHAPS they are not.
I would expect reports in the national press, but not aware of any such.
And howls of outrage from the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers), not aware of that either.

The opening or releasing of doors ONLY on the wrong side, might imply operator error, but the releasing of doors on BOTH sides suggests a serious defect as this AFAIK (as far as I know) cant be done by mistake.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 24, 2022, 11:45:34 »

Roger Ford has an article in Modern Railways (next month's, presumably) about the repairs now being tested by Hitachi on 802007. This is available to read on line free but rationed. In his e-preview he says:
800 Series modifications in close-up

Hitachi’s solution to the various fatigue and corrosion cracking problems in the bogie bolster area of the 800 series vehicles began test evaluation in January. We featured a photograph of the test train – 802007 - in our News section last month.

Now, an alert reader has spotted the test train and taken photographs of the modifications. Two vehicles have been fitted, a Driving Pantographs Trailer (DPT) and the adjacent Motor Composite. Different designs of replacement yaw damper brackets have been required for the leading and trailing ends of the DPT. So there is plenty to consider.

To put the 800 series modifications in context, the column also features photographs of other manufactures’ designs for the interface between the yaw damper and the body-shell for 125 mile/h DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit). My thanks to my colleague Tony Miles for providing the illustrations.

Compared with their peers’ designs, Hitachi’s revised solutions, particularly on the DPT, are decidedly chunky. However, it is important to bear in mind that these vehicles are part of the Intercity Express Programme (IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)) - a 27.5 year Train Service Provision (TSP (Train Service Provider)) deal. So now is the time to make sure that the problems has been cured once and for all!

So the next thing to look out for is the decision to go ahead with repairs (or not!), and then the plan to do it, how many units will be out of the fleet at a time, and how long it's all going to take. And eventually whether it's really sorted the problem.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 22:55:52 by stuving » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 25, 2022, 11:32:35 »

Note that the reports refers to the IETs (Intercity Express Train) as being "DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit)"  I seem to recall being criticized for referring to them thus, with IET supporters stating that they are not REALLY DMUs but actually something else.
It was suggested that DMU was a negative term that people linked with shorter trains, no catering, and general downgrading.

Moving on from that, I thought that new trains suffered from cracks in three locations, these proposed repairs would only seem to deal with only one such set of cracks.

I presume that hitachi are not paying any significant compensation for the ongoing lack of availability of these trains. Or providing some extra units free of charge to make up for this.

Meanwhile 5 car units instead of full length HSTs (High Speed Train) are the new normal, better get used to it, as Cross Country customers have got used to the reduced capacity of new trains.

a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 25, 2022, 15:35:01 »

I have heard reports of such an incident, I can’t remember if it was on GWR (Great Western Railway) or another TOC (Train Operating Company). All doors released correctly on one side of the train but the TMS showed a door had also incorrectly released on the wrong side of the train. I can’t remember if door buttons armed or wether it was just a TMS glitch.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 25, 2022, 15:35:48 »

Roger Ford has an article in Modern Railways (next month's, presumably) about the repairs now being tested by Hitachi on 802007.

I did see 802007 out and about on a test run in January - you can see the modifications and sensors attached to them which were feeding an army of laptops and boffins information via cables that run through the adjacent doors.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 07, 2022, 11:04:13 »

ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) have published their final report, plus related material, on the Hitachi train cracking problems.

This does explain in some detail what happened, both in the organisations involved and in the train bodies. It doesn't address (and probably never could) some of the "why" questions, such as why the corrosion environment for Japanese trains does not lead to stress corrosion cracking. The contribution of track, as worn, and wheels, ditto, to the anti-roll bar and yaw damper motion and forces is also still a big vague.

The outcome is a six-year rolling repair plan for all the affected trains, including some bits (e.g. coupler mountings) where cracking was only found in the later more through investigations.

They also display a rather touching belief that more standards would prevent such things happening.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 07, 2022, 17:28:50 »

A SIX YEAR rolling program of repairs presumably means ANOTHER six years of short formed trains and reduced services. And that is optimistically presuming that the repair process runs smoothly and to time.

The rush to scrap existing stock means that opportunities to use alternative rolling stock will be very limited.

I cynically assume that Hitachi will not be paying compensation for their failure to meet the promised availability.

And after this multi year rectification process, they will still be nasty suburban units unsuited to inter city routes.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 07, 2022, 20:17:04 »

A SIX YEAR rolling program of repairs presumably means ANOTHER six years of short formed trains and reduced services. And that is optimistically presuming that the repair process runs smoothly and to time.

Obviously the more you do at once the shorter the overall time, and vice versa. The practical limit of units that can be under repair at a time is also obvious: one. The programme is described as:
Hitachi and its industry partners are about to start the major programme of work to repair 1247 Class 80X vehicles and a further 487 Class 385 and 395 vehicles. This recovery programme is expected to take place over the next six years. It is structured to minimise service disruption by taking the minimum number of vehicles out of use at any one time, coordinated with other planned maintenance activity on the vehicles.
That's four and a bit vehicles per week. For some reason the work is going to be done at Arlington Fleet Services at Eastleigh, where there will be two repair lines. Whether that means doing one five-car at a time in a week, or two units at once and taking longer, I can only guess. Further details revealed are:
The programme will address trainsets containing vehicles with cracks first, prioritising those with cracks in the vicinity of the yaw damper. All vehicles, whether cracked or not, will be modified, with the programme expected to be complete in 2028.

The rush to scrap existing stock means that opportunities to use alternative rolling stock will be very limited.

True, but that's the world of fashion, isn't it?

I cynically assume that Hitachi will not be paying compensation for their failure to meet the promised availability.

I wonder. Obviously the whole repair programme is Hitachi's cost, and they have not been paid for trains not presented to the TOC (Train Operating Company) as required in the TARA (Train Availability and Reliability Agreement). But clearly a refund of the lease cost per diagram is inadequate compensation; it's not as if GWR (Great Western Railway) can whip out their StockShop app and hire an alternative unit for the day. I imagine the TOCs (or in practice DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) would have a legal case for breach of contract. That would depend on what's in the TARA and MARA (Master Availability and Reliability Agreement), and I suspect in the blacked out bits.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 08, 2022, 05:06:22 »

Had most of the HSTs (High Speed Train) not been scrapped in such a hurry, then alternative trains WOULD have been available.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 13, 2022, 08:56:54 »

Presumably hitachi staff are not going on strike.
And will therefore be able to use the strike days to catch up on routine maintenance.
Over 30 short formations again today.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #508 on: June 13, 2022, 10:23:21 »

There were over-running engineering works in the BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) area earlier this morning which may well have affected the Hitachi depot
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 29, 2022, 08:31:45 »

Nearly 40 half length IETs (Intercity Express Train) today, and not one comment on these forums. Presumably this is the new normal and not newsworthy. "new trains are shorter, get used to it"

05:23 London Paddington to Swansea due 08:58
05:51 Bristol Temple Meads to Portsmouth Harbour due 08:27
06:20 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington due 08:29
06:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour due 09:53
07:31 Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads due 08:27
07:33 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare due 09:00
08:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 09:35
08:20 London Paddington to Oxford due 09:18
08:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 10:05
08:45 Great Malvern to Westbury due 11:32
09:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 10:39
09:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach due 10:23
09:10 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth due 09:39
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central due 12:45
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington due 12:12
09:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare due 11:00
09:59 Oxford to London Paddington due 10:54
10:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 11:36
10:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 12:08
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 12:38
11:20 London Paddington to Oxford due 12:13
12:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 13:39
12:31 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 14:06
12:48 London Paddington to Swansea due 15:31
13:02 Oxford to London Paddington due 13:54
13:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 14:35
14:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 15:36
14:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central due 16:07
14:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 16:07
15:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 16:39
15:23 Swansea to London Paddington due 18:14
16:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 17:35
16:23 Swansea to London Paddington due 19:14
16:33 London Paddington to Taunton due 19:12
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 18:44
17:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 18:40
18:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 20:08
18:48 London Paddington to Swansea due 21:33
19:18 London Paddington to Swansea due 22:17
19:48 London Paddington to Swansea due 22:34
20:48 London Paddington to Swansea due 23:50
0 Catering Updates

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: