05:47 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
06:40 Reading to Basingstoke
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 07:26:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with IET trains from April 2021  (Read 93205 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: June 29, 2022, 09:42:32 »

Nearly 40 half length IETs (Intercity Express Train) today, and not one comment on these forums. Presumably this is the new normal and not newsworthy. "new trains are shorter, get used to it"

05:23 London Paddington to Swansea due 08:58
05:51 Bristol Temple Meads to Portsmouth Harbour due 08:27
06:20 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington due 08:29
06:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour due 09:53
07:31 Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads due 08:27
07:33 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare due 09:00

08:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 09:35
08:20 London Paddington to Oxford due 09:18
08:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 10:05
08:45 Great Malvern to Westbury due 11:32
09:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 10:39
09:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach due 10:23
09:10 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth due 09:39
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central due 12:45
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington due 12:12
09:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare due 11:00
09:59 Oxford to London Paddington due 10:54
10:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 11:36
10:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 12:08
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 12:38
11:20 London Paddington to Oxford due 12:13
12:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 13:39
12:31 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 14:06
12:48 London Paddington to Swansea due 15:31
13:02 Oxford to London Paddington due 13:54
13:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 14:35
14:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 15:36
14:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central due 16:07
14:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 16:07
15:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 16:39
15:23 Swansea to London Paddington due 18:14
16:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 17:35
16:23 Swansea to London Paddington due 19:14
16:33 London Paddington to Taunton due 19:12
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 18:44
17:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 18:40
18:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 20:08
18:48 London Paddington to Swansea due 21:33
19:18 London Paddington to Swansea due 22:17
19:48 London Paddington to Swansea due 22:34
20:48 London Paddington to Swansea due 23:50
0 Catering Updates

A long list agreed - but not all of those are IET services.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 29, 2022, 10:14:04 »

And, as usual, the list is now inaccurate.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #512 on: June 29, 2022, 10:33:20 »

Nearly 40 half length IETs (Intercity Express Train) today, and not one comment on these forums. Presumably this is the new normal and not newsworthy. "new trains are shorter, get used to it"

From a passenger POV, the length of the train doesn't really matter - it's an implementation detail. What matters is whether you can get a seat or not.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 29, 2022, 10:38:45 »

Indeed.....

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 29, 2022, 11:19:29 »

By chance there is a photo taken aboard the 10:00 ex Bristol Temple Meads on Twitter.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 29, 2022, 11:33:07 »

From a passenger POV, the length of the train doesn't really matter - it's an implementation detail. What matters is whether you can get a seat or not.

It's rather like mass cancellations every Sunday......initially it's so poor it's shocking, but gradually poor service becomes the normal expectation.

Great environment to assist with the resurgence  of COVID on the short formed train pictured too.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 29, 2022, 12:31:07 »

Worth noting that the first Class 80x has only just gone in for remedial work to repair the cracking problem.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 29, 2022, 14:40:16 »

Partly agree as this is indeed wildly dependent on implementation - which includes subtleties like "Avoid booking passengers into seats in the part of the train from which they cannot alight at their destination' and 'Activate the seat reservations before the train is at the platform at its starting station'.

There's also the instances when one half of a ten car set is heavily loaded and the other half with plenty of space - though as passengers have learned through experience at say Paddington, have they become more adept at putting themselves aboard on the half that has seats available? It's really difficult for the TOC (Train Operating Company) to hit the balance.

Underlying this, travellers experiencing loading factors approaching or exceeding the seating capacity in any part of a run in a 5 car set will send the message that the system is capacity constrained, which will inhibit future growth in passenger numbers as people with a choice will use another travel mode - and others who are travelling with family, children or who have a disability may be heavily discouraged from using rail. With a capacity of just 290 or is it 254 seated in standard, an hourly 5 car IET (Intercity Express Train) on its own isn't a great heavy lifter.

At what level of occupancy does a TOC regard a long distance train as full to capacity? That's probably a different figure from the one at which a passenger would consider it full.

Mark
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 29, 2022, 14:53:29 »

There's also the instances when one half of a ten car set is heavily loaded and the other half with plenty of space - though as passengers have learned through experience at say Paddington, have they become more adept at putting themselves aboard on the half that has seats available? It's really difficult for the TOC (Train Operating Company) to hit the balance.

This is nothing new and not unique to ten car sets.  It happens often on 9-car sets, and used to happen often on HST (High Speed Train)'s where passengers are/were able walk through the whole train.  I frequently see standing room only in 'J' and on the same train one man and his dog sat in 'A'. 

It even happens when crew make announcements pretty much pleading with people to move down the train...obviously a human behaviour thing.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 29, 2022, 14:56:29 »

The 12:31 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads was actually 9 coaches - I was on it.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #520 on: June 29, 2022, 15:43:19 »

This is nothing new and not unique to ten car sets.  It happens often on 9-car sets, and used to happen often on HST (High Speed Train)'s where passengers are/were able walk through the whole train.  I frequently see standing room only in 'J' and on the same train one man and his dog sat in 'A'.

1. It's interesting to see in places loadings along a train showing up on the platform displays showing where the space is. I recall it on Thameslink - so rarely on an an IET (Intercity Express Train) these days not sure if we have such a system like this on our London trains

2. Wasn't the "10 car scheme" on the Southern out of Cannon Street and Charing Cross to Hayes, Dartford and Sevenoaks something of a flop because the extra two carriages didn't get many passengers as they were so far from the terminal barriers (some bright spark suggesting that the two carriages should have been added at the London end!)

3.  Grin I could not help wondering if the dog in your example was smelly or agressive (I know not - that it's a serious point)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 29, 2022, 16:01:56 »

The 12:31 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads was actually 9 coaches - I was on it.

I think two or three of the diagrams are now back to full length, so a dozen or so trains.  That’s not to say it’s not a bad day for IET (Intercity Express Train) availability, just like we have good and bad days for DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) availability as well.

Everyone can now check formations for themselves on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) of course (100x more accurate than Journeycheck) so I won’t bother with a list.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 30, 2022, 08:46:50 »

Another bad IET (Intercity Express Train) day today. 31 short formations in total, of which 28 look to be half capacity IETs.
And AFAIK (as far as I know) there were a few more short formations earlier today that have completed their journey and are therefore no longer shown.

And yes I am aware that IET advocates will point out that some might actually run full length, and that the odd bad day is to be expected.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 30, 2022, 09:50:37 »

1. It's interesting to see in places loadings along a train showing up on the platform displays showing where the space is. I recall it on Thameslink - so rarely on an an IET (Intercity Express Train) these days not sure if we have such a system like this on our London trains

3.  Grin I could not help wondering if the dog in your example was smelly or agressive (I know not - that it's a serious point)

Loadings are available on the GWR (Great Western Railway) app (see Bob’s post from yesterday).  Perhaps in time that information will be available on the departure screens at stations?  Though I’m not sure it’ll be much use in terms of a live boarding situation at an origin station like Paddington.  Better for providing information at points en-route I’d have thought?

An advantage of the IETs over HSTs (High Speed Train) is that crew can use the passenger count facility and the live CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) monitors to check where space is available and advise passengers.  Though like I said it’s rare for many to take heed of such advice.

The dog in my example was beautifully behaved.  Wink

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 30, 2022, 10:05:11 »

Veering slightly off topic, how are the loadings calculated?   Are there sensors as people pass through the doors or does it base things on the average weight of a passenger?   I am just thinking if someone boards in coach C but then walks through to coach B, how are the statistics calculated?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: