I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:54:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with IET trains from April 2021  (Read 93554 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 05, 2022, 19:39:20 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) Journey check still saying it's shortformed but good news if you're correct.

It still is, after the train has left Reading, where it was on the screens (and Tiger) as a 9-car. Ain't these modern computer thingies amazing?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 05, 2022, 19:47:08 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) Journey check still saying it's shortformed but good news if you're correct.

Confirmed with a visual sighting.

The journeycheck entry was last updated at 05:20 I note.  Again, you have to question the point of it sometimes!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #542 on: August 05, 2022, 19:57:21 »

It still is, after the train has left Reading, where it was on the screens (and Tiger) as a 9-car. Ain't these modern computer thingies amazing?

Confirmed with a visual sighting.

The journeycheck entry was last updated at 05:20 I note.  Again, you have to question the point of it sometimes!

I go with the visual sighting.   The days of "Computer says, so must be right" are long passed - and especially so in this case where the computer feeds differ. RIRO on Journey check (Rubbish in, Rubbish out!)?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 07, 2022, 12:30:44 »

12:03 London Paddington to Penzance due 17:05

Facilities on the 12:03 London Paddington to Penzance due 17:05.

Service full and standing from London Paddington. First class is declassified.

..and it is nine carriages.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 07, 2022, 14:32:22 »

12:03 London Paddington to Penzance due 17:05

Facilities on the 12:03 London Paddington to Penzance due 17:05.

Service full and standing from London Paddington. First class is declassified.

..and it is nine carriages.
As is the 13:03. Both trains, which would have been busy anyway, covering for the loss of the 12:36 to Paignton.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 10, 2022, 11:53:58 »

First time in a fair old while since I've been on a GWR (Great Western Railway) IET (Intercity Express Train).

Clean. Perfectly acceptable seat comfort. Quiet, comfortable ride with lovely cooling aircon. Reservations clearly marked. Well stocked trolley just passed. Clear PA (Public Address) announcements.

All the things to make for a relaxing, albeit short, journey from Bath to Swindon.

Great trains.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 10, 2022, 13:05:35 »

An Update on the automated on-board announcements on the Cotswold line.

Worcestershire parkway has now been added to the announcements. However a quiet male voice has been used in among the other stations announced in the usual loud female voice.

Yesterday I caught the early morning down Turbo service. On this the female voice announces all the stations including Worcestershire Parkway.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 10, 2022, 13:58:23 »

First time in a fair old while since I've been on a GWR (Great Western Railway) IET (Intercity Express Train).

Clean. Perfectly acceptable seat comfort. Quiet, comfortable ride with lovely cooling aircon. Reservations clearly marked. Well stocked trolley just passed. Clear PA (Public Address) announcements.

All the things to make for a relaxing, albeit short, journey from Bath to Swindon.

Great trains.

I can only assume you’ve mislaid your rose-tinted spectacles, Justin?  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 10, 2022, 16:44:31 »

Great trains.

Justin and I had a bet on who would respond first to that post.... and we lost.   Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 10, 2022, 17:20:47 »

Morning journey across SWR» (South Western Railway - about) & GWR (Great Western Railway) with two connections went swimmingly.

GWR returning to form on my return journey. Planned connection at Westbury cancelled due to staff shortages (1F21 CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) - PMH). One hour plus delay. Next service to Salisbury very busy with aircon in one of the two units not working. Consequently other unit rammed. I'm sat on a lovely luggage rack (now - THAT is a hard uncomfortable seat, broadgage!) At least the aircon blower is directly above. Small mercies.

EDIT: And SWR doing their bit too. No aircon in either unit on 1754 from Salisbury to Exeter. Suspected that might be the case before boarding. Guard waiting on platform with crates of water. I suppose a job lot of bottled water is cheaper than actually fixing, or fitting reliable, aircon.

Dear SWR. Can we have some of those lovely air conditioned Hitachis for the WAT-EXDs» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) please.

This is JayMac
reporting for the CoffeeShop
wilting in Wiltshire and sweating in Somerset.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 18:12:10 by JayMac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 19, 2022, 13:39:36 »

European railway channel Nonstop Eurotrip has posted a review of a trip from CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) in first class on a Class 800:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_pE5sH62Vg

The general verdict at the end is 'good but not amazing'.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 26, 2022, 07:06:50 »

I noticed two parts (of the same set?) in Eastleigh works on Saturday. Does this mean something is happening?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 26, 2022, 10:51:31 »

I noticed two parts (of the same set?) in Eastleigh works on Saturday. Does this mean something is happening?

I hope so! The modifications were seen on test in March and the "production" line was being set up at Eastleigh in around May. That suggests there should now be several treated units back in the fleet, but as I've not seen any pictures I suspect that can't be true. And I don't think they'll be running about unnoticed - the strengthening is quite chunky. It may be that there's been some tweaking of the add-ons for serial semi-industrial application, or some other delay.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #553 on: September 28, 2022, 06:20:58 »

Very familiar ...

11:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 13:09

Facilities on the 11:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 13:09.
Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 9.

Additional Information

We're sorry for any changes this brings to your travel plans today.

Yesterday, several members attended GWR (Great Western Railway)'s central area timetable briefing and it was confirmed that IETs (Intercity Express Train) will take over 4 or 5 diagrams for Cardiff to Penzance services from December, retiring Castles.   Question raised as to where the IETs will come from, and it transpires that GWR are not at present running as many diagrams as they could be doing - there are spare IETs which could have been running the "super fasts".  It seems that the problems such as the one above are more due to the lack of 9 car units in the right places at the start of the day, and there could be enough 5 car units to run the Cardiff to Penzance service.   Question asked (not answered, I don't think) as to whether 1st class will be declassified for these journeys.

I would also need to look back at my notes from yesterday, but some main line changes which will see a return of the 2nd South Wales train in each hour on a Saturday - with Paddington to Cardiff services using electric units - class 387 rather than class 801.    As I read it, GWR has 33 x 387 units and with Crossrail taking over Heathrow and Reading services, there is some logic in this, though I wonder about the services being a bit slower (110 v 125 mph?) and wonder if 387s have things like catering capability.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 28, 2022, 08:20:58 »

Re declassification of Cardiff to Penzance IETs (Intercity Express Train): Someone did answer the question, but the answer was ‘I don’t know, I’ll find out’

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: