Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:45:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with IET trains from April 2021  (Read 93535 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: December 15, 2022, 17:32:27 »

A traveller with LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) reports that their Leeds to London IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) service has had to halt as its 'horn is frozen'.

Mark

A frozen horn is a serious risk in this sort of weather. It can even become brittle and fall off if not kept properly warm. On trains, too.

Now, please!
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 15, 2022, 18:16:15 »

Are these trains fit for anything?
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 16, 2022, 17:34:58 »

Not much. Just moving people around the country at up to 125 mph.

Now, please!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 17, 2022, 08:16:47 »

Not much. Just moving people around the country at up to 125 mph.

As long is it's not hot, cold, too wet or too dry...........or Sunday (reliably).......or Autumn.......or they're cracked.....etc....etc.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 17, 2022, 20:16:02 »

As long is it's not hot, cold, too wet or too dry...........or Sunday (reliably).......or Autumn.......or they're cracked.....etc....etc.

...and there's somebody to drive it.

Now, please!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 18, 2022, 07:00:03 »

Certainly not today judging by the map/Journey check.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #576 on: December 18, 2022, 09:23:00 »

It’s Sunday. Sunday’s are run on rest day working / overtime. And there’s a ban on that type of work until January 2. Then 4 more days of strike action.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 18, 2022, 11:29:03 »

If the "up to" is anything like the adverts for broadband speeds .............................
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 18, 2022, 11:48:22 »

It’s Sunday. Sunday’s are run on rest day working / overtime. And there’s a ban on that type of work until January 2. Then 4 more days of strike action.

I know it makes not one jot of difference to the passenger, but just to clarify:

1)  Most, if not all, cancellations today will be due to a shortage of Train Managers, not drivers.  There is no official action taking place, or announced, within ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) currently.
2)  Sunday's aren't technically run on rest day working/overtime, but it's fair to say they do rely on it to a certain amount.  Those Train Managers who have committed Sundays will still be expected to turn up to work, and the normal Sunday arrangements for drivers apply.  Nobody from RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) will be volunteering for additional Sundays or overtime outside their allocated shift or any of the other more subtle methods that usually get trains covered, which is why there are numerous cancellations today.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #579 on: December 18, 2022, 11:52:33 »

If the "up to" is anything like the adverts for broadband speeds .............................

Ah ... "up to 17 trains calling every day" at my local station...
Current sequence ... 8, 15, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0, 6 ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #580 on: December 18, 2022, 11:57:33 »

I know it makes not one jot of difference to the passenger, but just to clarify:

Clarification appreciated, thank you ... I'm getting to be at the stage of being at a loss for words, though, at the frustration of what appear to passengers to be flaws in the current system such that the published timetable cannot be delivered in all but the rarest of circumstances.

How can WE - as passengers / a passenger group help all the players to make things better for customers, which I am going to define as making for a (more) reliable train service?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 18, 2022, 12:14:48 »

Clarification appreciated, thank you ... I'm getting to be at the stage of being at a loss for words, though, at the frustration of what appear to passengers to be flaws in the current system such that the published timetable cannot be delivered in all but the rarest of circumstances.

How can WE - as passengers / a passenger group help all the players to make things better for customers, which I am going to define as making for a (more) reliable train service?

To be patient and weather the storm is the only option I guess?

The only good thing is that the ramping up of the industrial action from the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) is unsustainable in anything but the short term, so either the Government/DfT» (Department for Transport - about) or the Unions will break at some point and some sort of deal will be brokered.  The extent of the collateral damage caused in the meantime remains to be seen, but, speaking personally, it's a very difficult time to be a part of the railway industry, and worrying that so much is going wrong generally in the world at the moment.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #582 on: December 20, 2022, 12:08:31 »

Staff are starting to face a dilemma - the amount of earnings lost to strike action versus the likely amount of any pay rise actually obtained in the eventual settlement.

It seems that losses so far for an RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) member are approaching 2% of salary. The offer that has been made is 4%, so the question being asked is 'just how much more than 6% (4% plus the 'lost' 2%) are we likely to end up with, and is it worth continuing to lose further income?'

Pressure seemingly building on Mick. I suspect that is why he suggested needing a 'fast' settlement the other day.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 20, 2022, 15:10:02 »

1)  Most, if not all, cancellations today will be due to a shortage of Train Managers, not drivers.  There is no official action taking place, or announced, within ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) currently.

Thank you, that is correct, and I am grateful. My comment should have read someone to do the non-driving part of the operation.

Now, please!
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 29, 2023, 10:26:45 »

I’m not sure this has been mentioned on this thread - it is getting quite a few pages long now - but I would like to highlight the ride quality (actually the lack there of) of the IET (Intercity Express Train).

This Saturday was an opportunity to go roaming across the Southern/Western region - where a total of 6 different types of stock was sampled. And the ride quality difference was marked.

By far the best was the Class 450 EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) - my first experience of these. The quality of ride across some lumpy and bumpy southern rails was remarkable - with more than one occurrence of such a smooth departure I was caught out from registering it taking place.

I was also taken aback of how big the inside of these units felt. A completely different feel from the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) and its slight claustrophobic ambience with its inwards slanting sides (ala Class 222). I wished I had a tape measure to do a more scientific comparison!

Back to my point - with two new relatively new class types why is there such a difference in ‘standards’ - is it’s down solely to manufacturers doctrine / preference.

I know I might be accused of comparing apples with pears - but London to Southampton is not vastly different from London to Bristol with similar stopping patterns at major centres. The only plus point for the IET I could note was that it had, it seemed, better acceleration than its EMU brethren.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: