Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:44:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Night Trains - ONLINE: May 11, 2021
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The rise of night trains in Europe - Online - 11 May 2021, 18:00  (Read 3985 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 30, 2021, 08:01:24 »

From Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung

Tuesday, 11. May 2021 - 17:00 – 18:30 (18:00 - 19:30 UK (United Kingdom) time)

European Mobility Atlas 2021 - Night time on European Rails
The rise of night trains in Europe

Night trains are on the rise again! While Europe was widely interconnected by night trains until the end of the 20th century, connections decreased dramatically in the past two decades.

2021 marks the European Year of Rail and the resurrection of important new night train connections combined with fresh railway market entrants. The climate crisis and the Covid-19 pandemic have made us question and rethink our travel habits. Night trains are a good example on how to favour a more sustainable mobility.

During this event, we will discuss the past, present and future of night trains, have an exchange on the political context of night trains within the European Year of Rail 2021 and get insights on the market situation from public and private operators.

I am posting this in the UK "Wider Picture" area because there is limited mention of UK in it / covering map.   A further map ((here))

Also to note - a very interesting study - EU» (European Union - about) Mobility Atlas 2021 - lots of really fascinating data and diagrams.  Bit heavy text for the first few pages but I have been reading and enjoying and learning for far longer than I have available today!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 13:03:16 »

Also to note - a very interesting study - EU» (European Union - about) Mobility Atlas 2021 - lots of really fascinating data and diagrams.  Bit heavy text for the first few pages but I have been reading and enjoying and learning for far longer than I have available today!

Subjects covered by that document are worth listening ... and I have archived a copy for members at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/mirror/EUMobilityatlas2021_FINAL_WEB.pdf

12 BRIEF LESSONS
On mobility in Europe

HISTORY A STRUGGLE FOR DIRECTIONS.
It took until the late 1980s to make transport part of EU policy. Since then, steps have been taken to-wards a more ambitious transport policy. Reluctan-ce in EU Member States to enforce the rules keeps being the biggest obstacle.

EMPLOYMENT FEAR OF FALLING BY THE WAYSIDE.
Liberalisation and social harmonisation have barely gone hand in hand in the transport sector. Some EU rules exist, but without proper enforce-ment, the current employment situation is often unsatisfactory.

AVIATION FLYING GREEN—A NICE DREAM.
Suddenly, the skies were blue. The Covid-19 lock-down grounded the majority of flights, and ana-lysts say that it could take years for aviation to get back to normal.

THE AUTOMOTIVE SECTOR THE TRANSFORMATION OF A KEY INDUSTRY.
For more than 100 years, the automotive industry has relied on cars with internal combustion en-gines. Today, transformation is irrevocable. The Covid-19 pandemic makes it a truly Herculean task.

RAIL CHALLENGES OF A SINGLE EUROPEAN RAILWAY AREA.
European transport infrastructure reflects the complexity of Europe’s cross-border management tasks and its historic path dependency. Railway in-frastructure is a prominent example of this.

CROSS-BORDER MOBILITY CLOSING THE GAPS.
A well-connected cross-border railway system is the backbone of European transnational mobility. Yet many cross-border points still look like a patchwork reflecting a myriad of different national systems.

SHIPPING SETTING SAIL: CHALLENGES FOR SEA TRANSPORT.
Maritime transport is the most important, most efficient, but also dirtiest way of shipping goods. Not covered by the Paris Agreement, the indus-try is trying to set guidelines for a more environ-ment-friendly maritime transport.

TOURISM TRAVELLING SUSTAINABLY OR WITH THE CROWD?.
Tourism is a major economic sector in Europe. But its negative impacts on the environment and local communities raise concerns. Sustainable travel is growing, yet Covid-19 could change everything.

BICYCLE INDUSTRY GROWING AT SPEED.
Unlike many industries, the manufacture of bicy-cles keeps on growing. This is mainly driven by the sale of e-bikes. The ever-increasing demand for them seems to be helping the industry to recover rapidly from the impact of Covid-19.

CARGO BIKES SUSTAINABLE AND RESILIENT TRANSPORT.
Cargo bikes play a big role in avoiding motorised transport of goods. Many European cities operate successful cargo bike subsidy schemes. Commer-cial use, private ownership, sharing—all forms of cargo bike use are on the rise.

CYCLING COPENHAGEN THE MAKING OF A BIKE-FRIENDLY CITY.
Providing people with the options to safely walk, bike or use public transportation is paramount not only in creating a green and sustainable city, but also a liveable, people-friendly city.

ROAD SAFETY WANTED: STRATEGIES TO PROTECT THE WEAKEST.
Cyclists and pedestrians run a high risk of being killed in road traffic. At national and EU levels, a variety of initiatives aims to protect them better. However, more is needed to ensure effective pe-destrian and cyclist safety.

PUBLIC AND INTERMODAL TRANSPORT UNITE RURAL AND URBAN AREAS.
The ‘last mile’ is often a key problem in public transport. Smartly planned intermodal intersec-tions and digitalisation offer a range of possibilities to close that gap in the transportation chain—even with solutions for individual mobility.

COSTS THE COSTS OF TRANSPORT.
Inefficiencies in the transport system are caused by false prices. A high amount of costs is passed from the polluter to the general public. This ‘exter-nalisation’ prevents fair competition in transport and must be changed.

DRIVE TECHNOLOGY CHARGING AHEAD.
The path going forward is clear: for road vehicles, electricity and alternative fuels will soon replace petrol and diesel. The climate protection potential of this move is high, but some problems still need to be solved along the way.

DIESELGATE THE DIESELGATE SCANDAL HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED.
Detected five years ago, ‘Dieselgate’ remains partly unsolved, although national governments and the European Commission have offered a wide range of responses. Consumers criticise the scandal-handling by car manufacturers.

END-OF-LIFE VEHICLES FINAL DESTINATION.
Increasing mobility and trade as well as the shortening of a vehicle’s average life have led to a growing number of vehicles that have reached the end of their useful life in Europe.

THE IMPACT OF COVID-19 SHAKEN AND SHIFTED.
Europe and the world have been hit by trans-national crises before the Covid-19 pandemic. And almost all of them had a severe impact on mobility and transport.

THE FUTURE OF MOBILITY ON THE ROAD TO INTEGRATED SERVICES.
Digitalisation has already changed urban micro- mobility. The next step is the development of a single app for all mobility services.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 00:03:16 »

Transport & Environment - one of the bigger NGOs in the field - have a briefing out on "hitting the EV inflection point". What they are talking about is when in the future a pure electric car would cost no more than one with a thermal engine, and they propose a date not so far off now:
On average, battery electric vehicles reach the same price (before incentives) as equivalent petrol models between 2025 and 2027. Small vans reach price parity the earliest, in 2025, small cars are last in 2027, with medium and large sedans and SUVs hitting the parity point in 2026. In 2030, an average medium electric car is 18% cheaper than the equivalent petrol excluding taxes.

The briefing note itself looks to me like its conclusion was forgone, but they did base it on an external report, commissioned of from BloombergNEF (which is a marketing name of Bloomberg Finance LP). That goes into a lot more detail about the technology and production constraints involved, and the assumptions they have made.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 10:29:35 »

From Springwise

Midnight train to [Edinburgh / Berlin / Porto]

'HOTEL ON WHEELS' AIMS TO REPLACE BUDGET FLIGHTS WITH RAIL TRAVEL

Midnight Trains is promising comfort, ease of access and trips that are only slightly longer than a flight on many European routes

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 11:13:09 »

From Springwise

Midnight Trains is promising comfort, ease of access and trips that are only slightly longer than a flight on many European routes

Flight time Edinburgh - Berlin is 2hr 5mins.....how long will the "slightly longer" rail journey take?
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 11:24:09 »

I think the claim may be based on including dwell times at the airport at each end of the flight plus some estimate on travel time to and from the airports from the city centre.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 12:40:59 »

I have done the journey from Reading to Bonn in by train when a colleague flew.  My train passed through Reading at the time he was leaving his office there to go to Heathrow. He reached the hotel 15 mins before me.   
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 15:03:58 »

I think the claim may be based on including dwell times at the airport at each end of the flight plus some estimate on travel time to and from the airports from the city centre.

It’ll be a good deal longer on that particular route, but the article quoted doesn’t make any such claim.  It says it’ll be only slightly longer on many routes, so not all. 

Perhaps TG missed that?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 15:53:45 »

From Springwise

Flight time Edinburgh - Berlin is 2hr 5mins.....how long will the "slightly longer" rail journey take?

The comparison is idiotic - presumably it comes from the "journalist" rather than the company. I mean, there aren't any overnight flights in Europe short enough to similar to the minimum for a sleeper train to be worthwhile, are there? And shouldn't you be comparing the train with a flight plus hotel anyway?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 16:54:07 »

Precisely, Stuving.

Any service between two or more large cities that leaves mid/late evening and gets there mid/late morning (say aim for a maximum journey time of twelve hours) might well work in the future for a premium leisure market and if air travel becomes increasingly unpopular. 

That’s if both cost of operation and cost to the travellers pocket can be kept low enough, which is the big stumbling block for me.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 17:48:01 »

It’ll be a good deal longer on that particular route, but the article quoted doesn’t make any such claim.  It says it’ll be only slightly longer on many routes, so not all. 

Perhaps TG missed that?

Edinburgh is the only British city quoted, perhaps II missed that?  Wink

You're getting there with your second post though, probably far better to market it in its own right as a luxury leisure option than trying to go head to head on speed of travel - different markets, different customers.

It would be interesting to know how much it would cost - there are long distance sleepers across Europe aren't there? Do any cater in this way with a "luxury" product?

(And perhaps more importantly, do they serve steak and Port?)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 19:41:21 »

I don’t really consider Britain as a likely market at all to be honest.  They do mention Edinburgh but I expect the Channel Tunnel’s safety rules and charges to use the HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) network will scupper any such plans at an early stage - unless they get Go-Op on board!

It’s a French company and my comments were largely based on the mainland Europe network of destinations they list on their website: https://www.midnight-trains.com/en/story

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 21:22:15 »

I don’t really consider Britain as a likely market at all to be honest.  They do mention Edinburgh but I expect the Channel Tunnel’s safety rules and charges to use the HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) network will scupper any such plans at an early stage - unless they get Go-Op on board!

It’s a French company and my comments were largely based on the mainland Europe network of destinations they list on their website: https://www.midnight-trains.com/en/story

Surely given the name of the Company they should be running a service to Tblisi? (Woo Woo!)  Smiley
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 22:12:33 »

Surely given the name of the Company they should be running a service to Tblisi? (Woo Woo!)  Smiley

It certainly looks like they are going back to find a simpler place in time.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 07:41:41 »

From the Scottish Greens

The German Greens, who may soon be in government, have proposed a night-train network across Europe. Go to sleep in Glasgow, wake up in Berlin, Barcelona, Rome or Athens.

We can have fast, effective, comfortable, low-carbon transport. It just requires the will to make it happen. The future can be green.

Shown on the map ...
Dublin / Holyhead / Birmingham to Paris
Glasgow / Edinburgh / Birmingam to Frankfurt
London to Warsaw
London to Rome
London to Vienna
London to Amsterdam / Barcelona / Cologne

Missing / Gaps...
Cardiff / Plymouth / Bristol to Zurich

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: