Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:16:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Exeter -Waterloo total lack of information on National Rail and GWR  (Read 5386 times)
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« on: May 10, 2021, 12:04:06 »

Given that Exeter -Waterloo provides a perfectly adequate route to London in the current GWR (Great Western Railway) IET (Intercity Express Train) fiasco, it is incredible to me me that neither GWR or the National Rail Information apps give any easily accessible advice on travelling from Devon and Cornwall to London via the Waterloo route. All you get from National Rail is a list of the cancelled GWR trains, and all GWR gives is their lengthy Exeter-Bristol- Swindon- Reading - Paddington contingency. Anyone would think the Waterloo route did not exist!
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 12:15:11 »

Agree !   Also, looking at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) there don't seem to be any through trains between Waterloo and Exeter, all involve a change at Salisbury - which I suppose is slightly better than yesterday's provision of trains, buses & mules.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 12:20:29 »

Given that Exeter -Waterloo provides a perfectly adequate route to London in the current GWR (Great Western Railway) IET (Intercity Express Train) fiasco, it is incredible to me me that neither GWR or the National Rail Information apps give any easily accessible advice on travelling from Devon and Cornwall to London via the Waterloo route. All you get from National Rail is a list of the cancelled GWR trains, and all GWR gives is their lengthy Exeter-Bristol- Swindon- Reading - Paddington contingency. Anyone would think the Waterloo route did not exist!

GWR's Journeycheck has this:
South Western Railway (SWR» (South Western Railway - about)) do offer a service to and from Exeter St Davids on which GWR tickets will be accepted. Whilst this would afford a connection at Exeter St Davids into / out of train services to destinations in Devon and Cornwall there are currently NO through services between London Waterloo and Exeter St Davids as an amended (Covid) timetable is in operation on that route so SWR services to / from Exeter St Davids only operate as far as Salisbury where connecting trains are available to London Waterloo, Westbury, Southampton, Portsmouth, etc. so that route may afford some journey options for those customers who would otherwise have used GWR services and changed at Westbury.

Of course you could ask why SWR have not added to that restricted service yet. Next Sunday's planned change does bring back direct trains, though only 1 tph.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 12:22:49 »

Agree !   Also, looking at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) there don't seem to be any through trains between Waterloo and Exeter, all involve a change at Salisbury - which I suppose is slightly better than yesterday's provision of trains, buses & mules.

I was brought up on the understanding that "GWR" stood for Great Way Round and we are back to an element of history today.

At a later point, I understood that the Western Region would never promote traffic via the Southern Region route

Today, I would suspect that limited train length and social distancing could cause overcrowding on trains on The Mule and perhaps that's why the route is not being promoted as an alternative?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 12:30:31 »

Agree !   Also, looking at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) there don't seem to be any through trains between Waterloo and Exeter, all involve a change at Salisbury - which I suppose is slightly better than yesterday's provision of trains, buses & mules.

I was brought up on the understanding that "GWR" stood for Great Way Round and we are back to an element of history today.

At a later point, I understood that the Western Region would never promote traffic via the Southern Region route

Today, I would suspect that limited train length and social distancing could cause overcrowding on trains on The Mule and perhaps that's why the route is not being promoted as an alternative?

I have been monitoring traffic on the Exeter to Salisbury services recently (at least at the Exeter end). Whilst traffic is still generally low, there are two or three rush hour services that are uncomfortably crowded. I would guess though that the services that would be useful to through traffic to/from the Westcountry could adequately cope with any additional traffic.

*** edited as my comment somehow got embedded within the quote! ***
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 20:33:09 by PhilWakely » Logged
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 19:19:13 »

Same here, Graham.  I too was brought up on the Southern.............
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 21:41:42 »

Same here, Graham.  I too was brought up on the Southern...........

......being the successor to the pre-grouping Long Slow and Winding Railway!
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 22:51:29 »

The current SWR» (South Western Railway - about) WofEL (Also used on the forum for "West of England Line") timetable and service provision are the result of agreement between SWR and the government for a robust service during lockdown. It was always the plan to revert to a more normal service once restrictions eased. It made sense to ally the changes back to a more normal service both with the usual May timetable change, and the government's Covid road map.

It is a shame though that the railway as a whole is no longer able to react to a major problem such as a fleet 'grounding' with quick action plans for alternative routes and stock. There's enough 158/159 stock in the west and south west to provide direct hourly services between Devon (even Cornwall at a push) and London via Salisbury. A little bit of ambitious thinking, some coordination between SWR & GWR (Great Western Railway) (they have the same parent after all) and I'm sure something could have already been put into place for services between London and the south-west.

The problem is that operators don't work together well enough, and in many cases are directly prevented from doing so by government.

Raises the age old question again - what's the point of franchising?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 23:09:02 »

But we don't have franchising any more.  They are all management contracts.  AIUI (as I understand it) franchising is dead. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 05:45:35 »

From JourneyCheck on their London to the West Country report.  Better ...  Wink

South Western Railway (SWR» (South Western Railway - about)) do offer a service to and from Exeter St Davids on which GWR (Great Western Railway) tickets will be accepted. Whilst this would afford a connection at Exeter St Davids into / out of train services to destinations in Devon and Cornwall there are currently NO through services between London Waterloo and Exeter St Davids as an amended (Covid) timetable is in operation on that route so SWR services to / from Exeter St Davids only operate as far as Salisbury where connecting trains are available to London Waterloo, Westbury, Southampton, Portsmouth, etc. so that route may afford some journey options for those customers who would otherwise have used GWR services and changed at Westbury.

But we don't have franchising any more.  They are all management contracts.  AIUI (as I understand it) franchising is dead. 

Dead - but there is a something of a legacy ... when (eventually!) we see "Williams", we may see negatives of that legacy tidied up.  Seems everyone has been so busy dealing with other events that Williams is a bit later than intended!  Cheesy

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 11:53:27 »

Dead - but there is a something of a legacy ... when (eventually!) we see "Williams", we may see negatives of that legacy tidied up.  Seems everyone has been so busy dealing with other events that Williams is a bit later than intended!  Cheesy

Of course, it's now "Shapps-Williams", which rather gives away the fact that the new system will be based largely on political considerations. Previous governments in recent times - both Conservative and Labour - have had to satisfy a majority based on Middle England voters who were Conservative with a small "c", and who were instinctively suspicious of anything that smacked of "nationalisation". However, the current Johnson Conservative administration has to satisfy a majority based on Northern voters who are Labour with a small "l", who dont really have a problem with nationalisation, and who just want the government to do something - anything - to improve their lot.

However, my recent research into SENRUG and the Northumberland Line has given me an intriguing insight into who is currently advising the government on transport matters, and what exactly it is they are advising. Basically, the current crop of special advisors is using as its reference point the last time they think that public transport was part of a nationalised system under a Conservative administration and appeared to be working, and with both bus and rail they landed in the early to mid 1980's.

In the case of buses, this means the era where the big, regionalised subsidaries of the National Bus Company had been broken down into smaller, more locally focused units that had not yet been deregulated/privatised and thus could still be relatively easily integrated with the municipal bus companies, and with rail and other public transport modes. In the case of rail, this means the era of the sub-£1 billion railway, of cut-price rail reopenings, and of the "glory days" of Network SouthEast.

The modern equivalent structures they are putting in place are Bus Back Better, and for rail, I believe that they will go for a more localised version of sectorisation that has the mid-section of Network SouthEast as its inspiration. The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) will set a broad overall strategy, goals and service standards, but ask the rail industry to work out how to implement them. The TOCs (Train Operating Company) will have their own management structure and oversight, and decide about scheduling, marketing, what infrastructure enhancements they require, and rolling stock specifications - probably wise given recent events. Network Rail will own, maintain, and where required, enhance and build new infrastructure.

Indeed, there are signs that key rail industry players are already working de facto to this new structure. To give some examples - Andrew Haines, in a recent speech, appeared to acknowledge that Network Rail will need to provide what the DfT, TOCs and customers actually want, rather than what Network Rail think they should have.  The DfT - despite it being their duff rolling stock specification that started the sequence of events that led to the current disruption - have told the TOCs that they want the that disruption sorted, and to work out for themselves how to sort it.  The TOCs, at least by the look of early indications, appear to be working together to try and sort it as best they can.

An interesting by-product of the evolving service plan that the TOCs have devised is that it appears to have set up an unintentional experiment. In an optimistic scenario, it could provide at least a partial blueprint for how to cater for the likely more localised post-pandemic passenger flows, as well as how to integrate rail services with parallel and connecting bus services, and provide full ticket interavailiability between the two modes.

In a pessimistic scenario though, the rail industry could respond to its biggest crisis since 2002 and the aftermath of Hatfield and make similar mistakes, where the scale of the repairs required took ages to identify and ultimately brought the network to a near-standstill for a prolonged period, finished Railtrack, and sent the industry as a whole into an uncertain future that we've arguably never actually emerged successfully from.

As we know now, the DfT's response to the aftermath of Hatfield and Railtrack's demise was to commission internal reports - which we have copies of in our archives - that proposed widespread closures, service withdrawals and bustitution in the North and the South West, and even at one point advertised for a Closures Manager to oversee their implementation. This thankfully did not come to pass, due in no small part to the huge opposition in this part of the world to the Draft December 2006 FGW (First Great Western) Timetable which if fully implemented, would have acted as a Trojan Horse to a far worse end goal.

Could we reach a similar point as a result of this crisis? Let me put it this way - grahame, myself and others are, through Option 24/7, seeking to use the positive opportunity provided by Bus Back Better to try and achieve hugely improved local bus services and infrastructure, and greatly enhanced bus/rail/active travel integration. However, the wording of some of the passages of Bus Back Better makes it obvious that some of those currently advising the government clearly believe that the bus can do a far better job of many of the tasks that rail currently provides.

You only to look at our recent walk down memory lane to see where that could potentially lead.

EDIT to fix link.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 13:06:28 by Lee » Logged

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
VickiS
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 21:48:01 »

The current SWR» (South Western Railway - about) WofEL (Also used on the forum for "West of England Line") timetable and service provision are the result of agreement between SWR and the government for a robust service during lockdown. It was always the plan to revert to a more normal service once restrictions eased. It made sense to ally the changes back to a more normal service both with the usual May timetable change, and the government's Covid road map.

It is a shame though that the railway as a whole is no longer able to react to a major problem such as a fleet 'grounding' with quick action plans for alternative routes and stock. There's enough 158/159 stock in the west and south west to provide direct hourly services between Devon (even Cornwall at a push) and London via Salisbury. A little bit of ambitious thinking, some coordination between SWR & GWR (Great Western Railway) (they have the same parent after all) and I'm sure something could have already been put into place for services between London and the south-west.

The problem is that operators don't work together well enough, and in many cases are directly prevented from doing so by government.

Could I just please ask what "WofEL" stands for? Smiley

Thanks!
VickiS
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 21:54:19 »

Could I just please ask what "WofEL" stands for? Smiley

Thanks!
VickiS

West of England Line.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 22:21:46 »

Could I just please ask what "WofEL (Also used on the forum for "West of England Line")" stands for? Smiley

Thanks!
VickiS

West of England Line.

That is the line from Worting Jn (nr Baskingstoke) via Salisbury to Exeter
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 22:29:07 »

Also seen it as WOE (West of England) !
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: