Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:04:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: "Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen ..." no longer appropriate  (Read 5048 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 14, 2021, 09:40:17 »

From the Evening Standard

Train conductors warned not use ‘ladies and gentleman’ after complaint from non-binary passenger

London North Eastern Railway (LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about)) has said its conductors will be warned to not use the greeting "ladies and gentlemen" following a complaint from a non-binary passenger.

LNER said train managers should not use the phrase to avoid offending passengers who might identify as neither male nor female.

It comes after a complaint from a passenger on social media, the Telegraph reports.

In a Twitter post directed to LNER, the passenger wrote: “Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls…” As a non-binary person this announcement doesn’t actually apply to me, so I won’t listen.”

LNER replied to the complainant, agreeing that train managers “should not be using language like this”.

Unless I'm mistaken, the picture used to illustrate that article is a GWR (Great Western Railway) train arriving into Paddington, platform 2

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 10:29:20 »

Unless I'm mistaken, the picture used to illustrate that article is a GWR (Great Western Railway) train arriving into Paddington, platform 2

Not Paddington, looks a bit like Bristol TM(resolve)?

Edited to add: There's a signal part way down the platform, so I'm sure it's Bristol Temple Meads.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 10:49:36 »

The same photo is used for this ES story: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/hitachi-chris-heatonharris-government-lner-tickets-b934101.html
So it's clearly a stock photo used by them for anything rail, and I'd agree with Ollie, it's Temple Meads. And I'm 100% sure it's not Melksham!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 11:34:18 »

It's Temple Meads, or I'm a Dutch person's parent's sibling.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 11:46:55 »

In the hyper-sensitive world we live in now - which are you most upset by

- the LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about)'s conductor's language
- the reaction to it, or
- the Evening Standard's use of the wrong company's train in the picture.

[this question was intended to be rhetorical]!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 12:39:38 »

Perhaps the complainant would have liked the announcement to say ' Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen,and the transgender person in seat Y Coach X......
It was a good job that complainant wasn't travelling with Yorkshire airlines !
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 12:58:50 »

Given that the expression 'Good afternoon, everyone' has been available to us for quite some time now, and is unambiguously all-embracing, one can't help wondering why the railway company employee chose the words they did.

I for one feel excluded by the word 'Gentleman'. I identify as male, and use the pronouns he/his, but few people who know me well would refer to me as a gentleman.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 15:12:11 »

I've never liked being addressed as "mate" and perhaps less so in the zeitgeist of political correctness and "wokeness".

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) NCOs (and presumably commissioned officers) have been told not address junior ranks as "lads".

Must be challenging to remember how individuals in a university or school class like to be referred to (especially if they change their minds).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 15:33:15 »

I've never liked being addressed as "mate" and perhaps less so in the zeitgeist of political correctness and "wokeness".

I was called "love" when I bought a up of coffee from someone I hadn't met before the other week - and have at various times been called "hun", "pet", "duck", "darlin" and "sweetie" ...

From the abc School of English

A part of the process of falling in love is creating our own little universe in which language plays a large part.  However, in Britain you’ll often hear terms of endearment in shops, restaurants, and even in the street, being casually used among strangers.  It can be very confusing for visitors to the UK (United Kingdom), who are not familiar with these terms used every day in conversations, but if you are aware of their real meaning you can use them in your own conversations, if appropriate, and understand what British people mean when they use them.

Fortunately, Lisa now understand British as well as American English ... gone are the days of her being open-mouthed at the "Free Hardcore" sign on a demolotion site, or wondering if we could pop down into the village we lived in to join the Village Skip that was advertised. When my daughter announced that she had dropped her rubber between the seats it took a bit of explaining, especially as Lisa and I had first met on the road outside the London Rubber Company's factory.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 15:47:23 »

Lisa and I had first met on the road outside the London Rubber Company's factory.
As first dates go, that's quite special! Cheesy

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 15:57:50 »

Lisa and I had first met on the road outside the London Rubber Company's factory.
As first dates go, that's quite special! Cheesy

I hope you're still Mates... Grin
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 17:03:16 »

It's Temple Meads, or I'm a Dutch person's parent's sibling.

Rood Eekhoorn doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 17:16:43 »

When I worked in radio I was always taught to imagine you were talking to one person.  So no “everyone”, “all of you” or “folks”. 

Thus “Good afternoon to you” it was.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 19:51:08 »

When I worked in radio I was always taught to imagine you were talking to one person.  So no “everyone”, “all of you” or “folks”. 

Thus “Good afternoon to you” it was.

I was told the same when in a temporary job with connections to a local radio station many years ago.  Sadly, that was my only career brush with radio, despite having a face highly suited to the medium!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 20:58:38 »

From the Evening Standard

In a Twitter post directed to LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about), the passenger wrote: “Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls…” As a non-binary person this announcement doesn’t actually apply to me, so I won’t listen.”

Methinks the non-binary doth protest overmuch, but I suppose I shall have to get used to the reshaping of what was once the English language. Being upset is one thing - telling the whole world that you will sit through announcements with fingers in ears is another. As others point out, language can change around the country - I have been called "Love", "Duck" and "Young man", all of which seem reasonably normal outside of London. If it were done to cause offence, I didn't notice.

(Gosh, this sound like a letter in the Telegraph.)

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: