I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:26:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads  (Read 18457 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2021, 18:57:18 »

Started a new thread as this is a fairly self contained subject and not really, I think, part of the Temple Meads refurb.
Does anyone know what's happening to Bonaparte's?  The sign on the door says they aren't open yet but looking inside, all of the furniture has gone and the bar along with all the fixtures and fittings have been removed.
It's looking quite desolate and abandoned.  Anyone heard if there are any plans for it?
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 22:06:46 »

I, for one, hope it will reopen as a bar. I always enjoyed a pint in there after work if I had a bit of a wait for the next train to Sea Mills.

Dave
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 22:29:34 »

I'm sure it will return.  I have to say I was never very impressed by Bonaparte's - I think another operator could run a much more appealing bar there.

Huge competition close by, not least the Wetherspoon but also the King's Head, Barley Mow and Cornubia (and more).  All the same a Bristol Tap (for example) there would be really popular.

I was last in Bristol at the beginning of March last year.  I miss it.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 23:04:09 »

It's a great space with a lot of potential, not least it's architecture.  I'm not too concerned who takes it over as long as there still is some form of cafe bar there and the architecture is respected.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 10:35:03 »

Never seemed to really make the most of its real potential, but with the Knights Templar so close maybe it was always going to struggle
On a personal level ever since asking for a couple of different draft pints and each attempt saw bar flies come out of the pumps I will stick to cans and bottles from in there !!
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 10:15:52 »

Have to agree with most of the comments above. It is a space with huge potential for an enjoyable bar/cafe/restaurant, but I've usually been disappointed whenever I've ventured into it. It was a good place to escape the cold winds that blow down Temple Meads' platforms, but sadly I found little else to entice me in.

Having just done a quick check on Google, it seems many others felt similarly.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 13:14:42 »

... I've usually been disappointed whenever I've ventured into it ...

Indeed, save for the massive saving grace of meeting wonderful friends in there - many of whom are here on the Coffee Shop. And I look forward to such meetings again ... "don't (actually) know where, don't know when" ... but I hope "when" won't be too long off.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 21:47:07 »

I have avoided it for many years.
A long time ago I had to intervene when a member of the local low life attempted a run between the tables to snatch a handbag and make a quick exit.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 01:00:10 »

A long time ago I had to intervene when a member of the local low life attempted a run between the tables to snatch a handbag and make a quick exit.

Blinkin' flip!  We're you successful in foiling the ne'er-do-well's dastardly deed?
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 19:48:34 »

I sent GWR (Great Western Railway) a query earlier on Twitter:

"Hi there. Is the bar on Platform 3 at Bristol TM(resolve) merely shut for a makeover or has it gone permanently? I used to enjoy a pint there after work so I hope it is the former."

I have just (at the time of writing this) received this reply:

"Hi Dave, SSP who have the lease have closed it permanently as a bar sadly, however they will be opening it back up under a new brand. We have not been told yet by Network Rail what brand it will be."

A pity. I guess there is always a chance it might return as a bar though so we will have to wait and see.

Dave
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 21:26:06 »

SSP who have the lease have closed it permanently as a bar sadly, however they will be opening it back up under a new brand.

Probably a wise decision. As the Emperor Napoleon re-introduced slavery into the French Empire the bar furniture might otherwise end up in the Avon or the Canal Basin.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 22:49:18 »

SSP who have the lease have closed it permanently as a bar sadly, however they will be opening it back up under a new brand.

Probably a wise decision. As the Emperor Napoleon re-introduced slavery into the French Empire the bar furniture might otherwise end up in the Avon or the Canal Basin.

That made me one wonder how on earth the First Class Refreshment Room came to be called 'Bonaparte's..! Luckily we have Google. It seems that it may have been an attempt at humour; there was a similarly-branded operation at Waterloo Station (geddit?) This is now a coffee franchise. Perhaps the same fate is in store for the First Class Refreshment Room. Maybe they'll have the wit to call it 'Brunel's' when it reopens, and serve coffee so bad it tastes like badly-roasted corn...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 23:27:47 »

I, for one, hope it will reopen as a bar. I always enjoyed a pint in there after work if I had a bit of a wait for the next train to Sea Mills.

Dave
I rarely venture as far east at Bristol, but my usual approach is to end up drinking in the Cornubia in Temple Street, then making sure I leave 15 minutes before my train (and I'm sure others will walk faster than me). Easiest way of killing 45 minutes in my experience (and others would have jogged on and caught the previous hour's train, no doubt!).

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 11:15:33 »

As an alternative, I can recommend the Barley Mow on Barton Road, just over 500m from Temple Meads.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 18:00:10 »

Here's how Bonapartes looks now. Let's hope they do it justice in its next incarnation!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: