Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:27:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should the base colour(s) of the new livery for GBR (Great British Railways) be?  (Voting closed: May 24, 2021, 10:06:01)
Dark Green - 10 (10.9%)
Maroon - 8 (8.7%)
Navy Blue - 5 (5.4%)
Light Grey - 3 (3.3%)
Chocolate and Cream - 7 (7.6%)
Maroon and Cream - 5 (5.4%)
Blue and Grey - 8 (8.7%)
Red, white and blue - 5 (5.4%)
Yellow - 1 (1.1%)
Pink - 2 (2.2%)
Orange - 1 (1.1%)
Black - 2 (2.2%)
Malachite - 5 (5.4%)
Every carriage different - 4 (4.3%)
Different for long distance, regional and local - 19 (20.7%)
Something else - 7 (7.6%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: A new livery for all GB trains - what colour d'ya want?  (Read 6449 times)
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 22:15:13 »

Maybe a uniformity of seat comfort, levelling up by refitting GWR (Great Western Railway) IET (Intercity Express Train) slab board seats to a comfort standard enjoyed elsewhere in the country.

Sorry I just saw a flying pig.
Look at section 41 of the report. You will be pleased.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2021, 22:17:23 »

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) seating comfort and the need to replace "ironing board" seats has been specifically mentioned with particular reference to "long distance services"
So yes there is hope.

Edited to add, please see above.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2021, 22:22:17 »

I would be sorry to loose the GWR (Great Western Railway) green, but I do not want that to become the uniform colour across the whole country.  Diversity in liveries is good. 
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2021, 22:27:56 »

I grew up [Citation needed] in the era of "If it moves, paint it blue." - the only exceptions being the red stripe on the waistband of the Railway Technical Centre test vehicles.  No objection to that coming back as a principle.
The flying banana has to stay yellow, obv.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2021, 00:15:05 »

I would be sorry to loose the GWR (Great Western Railway) green, but I do not want that to become the uniform colour across the whole country.  Diversity in liveries is good. 

On a personal note.  One of the joys of annual train travel in northern Europe as a child in the 60s and 70s was the sight of rolling stock in unfamiliar, exotic liveries....pink and cream stands out in my memories among various others.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2021, 07:05:54 »

With the fact that Great British Railway (GBR (Great British Railways)) will be using private companies to run the services I suspect they will keep some of the existing branding such as Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) and LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about)
The branding relating to the Train Operator will be important to remain with the Train Operator as they will be paid on performance and 'customer' experience.  I suspect the publicity will be more akin to the major stations such as Great British Railway (GBR) service operated by Great Western Railway (GWR).

I will be interesting to see how it unfolds ........................ question is do I retire to a safe haven before or carry out working and ride out the storm

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 14:53:12 by VickiS » Logged

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2021, 14:07:03 »

First thought would be something like current GWR (Great Western Railway) or the old GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) - so a dark base colour with some stripes to give it detail, but fairly understated compared to some.

Perhaps have a bit of room for the private operators' own touches e.g. they can have a logo or lettering.

I'm inclined to go with some of the ways BR (British Rail(ways)) did things, mainly because I was a child of the sectors era. This is partly nostalgia of course, and one shouldn't be closed to different ways of doing it, but let's hark back to the way things were...

• Yellow stripe so first class can be identified easily.
• Variations based on service category - bringing back (with the old sector names or more modern brands) InterCity (less clumsy  than saying long-distance high-speed all the time), NSE (Network South East)/equivalent, Regional Railways. BR ended up with completely different liveries for each sector, but maybe variations on a common livery would be better.
• Maybe some specific branding for metro services, like with the PTE (Passenger Transport Executive) branding under BR. Now it might be things like Overground, South Wales Metro etc.

From top of head, a few specific reasons why sector branding might be good...

• Ticketing restrictions can be a bit clearer. E.g. where peak restrictions (should they stay with us as we know them) are TOC (Train Operating Company)-specific, saying 'not valid on IC (Inter City) services between xx.xx & xx.xx' is relatively simple. It can be generally known that all IC trains out of London have specific super-off-peak times, etc.
• People know to expect a certain level of service on IC trains. (e.g. Aim for better interior, catering on all journeys, first class with complimentary port on all trains,  reservations on all trains etc,) - these things apply some of the time on some other services, but can be consistent across IC trains, whereas now people just think one TOC happens to have nicer trains than others. (Or not so nice if they don't like the IET (Intercity Express Train) seats!)

I say all this having not read much about the intended concept apart from basic news reports, so I could be in tune with or significantly diverging from actual plans!
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2021, 07:46:06 »

The latest TOC (Train Operating Company) liveries have gone to a generic base coat - brunswick Green GWR (Great Western Railway), white & grey SWR» (South Western Railway - about), white & red LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about), Scotrail blue etc.  I'm more inclined to think that those ex-franchise colours will remain with the GBR (Great British Railways) double arrows supplementing any TOC logo branding. 

And with regard to stripes, GWR have reintroduced them on their latest Castle Class livery - silver for bikes & blue for accessible facilities.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2021, 10:49:15 »

And with regard to stripes, GWR (Great Western Railway) have reintroduced them on their latest Castle Class livery - silver for bikes & blue for accessible facilities.

I hope though that they are more conspicuous than the "silver" (grey?) ones on green turbos, which are barely visible. A standard broad yellow would be better.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2021, 13:32:57 »

For IETs (Intercity Express Train), of any operator, I suggest this product, but in bulk of course, the aerosol cans are only for touch ups not for painting a whole train.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184026435525?epid=15010031235&hash=item2ad8d48fc5:g:BfoAAOSwrxBffkk3

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2021, 20:47:57 »

This is why I ticked the 'something else' option - I think there should be regional variation, but with a common theme. I also ticked the option which suggested differences between long-distance and local services. The 'common theme' I spoke of should be how the long-distance, and regional express services are differentiated, ie.:

• Regional Express rolling stock (eg. 158 and 444) in ALL regions to use a light colour for the main bodyside with a band around the windows in a dark colour (doors to be the same colour as the window band)
  • Intercity rolling stock in ALL regions to carry the same base livery as regional express stock with the addition of the italic INTERCITY logo on the lower bodyside and possibly other embelishments (such as Swallow logos or the castles on the ScotRail Inter7City stock
Regional and suburban stock would be differentiated too; one of these would wear a single colour livery (like the current GWR green) and the other would be the inverse of the express livery (in other words, express looks like Swallow and regional (or suburban) would be like BR (British Rail(ways)) blue&grey).

I would also ban LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) from using red as a main colour when their stock is due a repaint and move that colour back to it's rightful home on the WCML (West Coast Main Line).

I wouldn't mind too much if there were no regional variations though as that would make it easy to share stock between regions and allow more through services between regions.

And with regard to stripes, GWR have reintroduced them on their latest Castle Class livery - silver for bikes & blue for accessible facilities.

I hope though that they are more conspicuous than the "silver" (grey?) ones on green turbos, which are barely visible. A standard broad yellow would be better.
I agree that a standard broad yellow stripe for first class should be reintroduced. However, I would hope that the castle sets don't have such stripes because, unless I'm mistaken, there is no first class on the castle sets.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2021, 22:26:43 »

Agree yellow stripe for first class, as used in the past.
Red stripe for catering, as used in the past.
Green stripe for cycle stowage, a logical choice as cycling IS green.
Blue stripe for disabled facilities, a logical choice as already used for disabled parking, and clearly different from the others.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2021, 11:53:40 »

An interesting commentary on choice of colour - Lisa brought this up in a totally different conversation this morning but I thought it could be relevant here.

http://divvyonline.com/tag/color/

Too many times decisions are made based on “What looks good” when the better question should be “What feels right?”

Results from studies like The Interactive Effects of Colors show that the relationship between brands and color hinged on the perceived appropriateness of the color being associated with the particular brand. Basically does the color “fit” what is being sold? Color increases brand recognition by 80% so pay close attention to these color psychology infographics we found.

If you paint your trains a colour that encourages you to salivate, would that help the business case for on-train catering?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2021, 12:12:37 »

I thought that part of the idea behind the new GBR (Great British Railways) was to abolish "brand loyalty" or at least strongly discourage same.

Passengers should be thinking of "a train" and not any particular brand thereof.
I do not feel that the introduction of GBR is as revolutionary as some claim, but I welcome it partly for what I hope will be significant cost savings from abolishing "brands, liveries, and design and promotion thereof"

"brand awareness manager" should be one of the first jobs to be abolished, closely followed "product placement manager"

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2021, 12:28:39 »

I thought that part of the idea behind the new GBR (Great British Railways) was to abolish "brand loyalty" or at least strongly discourage same.

Passengers should be thinking of "a train" and not any particular brand thereof.
I do not feel that the introduction of GBR is as revolutionary as some claim, but I welcome it partly for what I hope will be significant cost savings from abolishing "brands, liveries, and design and promotion thereof"

"brand awareness manager" should be one of the first jobs to be abolished, closely followed "product placement manager"

You need to be careful which roles you abolish. From Collateral Damage - an old blog
Douglas Adams right again: Lack of phone sanitizers will doom planet

Researchers have now confirmed Mr. A’s prophecy, finding that the phone is indeed a key spreader of germs. According to Charles Gerba, a microbiologist and clean water expert at the University of Arizona, it’s telephones and computer keyboards that are among the most germ laden spots in any home, not the usual suspects.

You have roles which you might query and wonder if you really need but, my goodness me, we have seen a platoon of people in these previously-ridiculed roles grow to a complete division, and with evidence that we should be very thankful to them.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: