17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 20:50:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[163] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[97] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] IETs at Melksham
[18] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[17] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[16] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Flying Scotsman" postponed  (Read 2057 times)
Marlburian

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2021, 15:31:31 »

Flying Scotsman trip through Berkshire postponed until September

This "trip" was proclaimed on a local news website on March 10, and I duly noted the date (today) in my diary. Having seen it a couple of times, I hadn't been intending to make a point of spectating but happened to be near Tilehurst Station at 0940, not long before it was apparently due to pass through. (It was scheduled - I believed - to leave Oxford at 0920.) So I thought, "might as well".

There were some eight people hanging around, most behind the fence of Platform One. I trotted across to Platform Three and waited until 0955, when another would-be spectator checked on his mobile and told me that the trip had been cancelled until September.

The article to which I link was put on the news website at 1012.

MODIFICATION: Odd. I had thought that the March 10 article said that the train was due to leave Oxford at 0920, but I've just checked it and it said that the journey would start at Paddington then and take two hours 40 minutes - suggesting it would be passing through Tilehurst far later than 0950ish. (On past trips it has made a very long pause at Reading to allow admirers an extended close-up.)

Rather than admitting to senility, I wonder if the original article had got the trip the wrong way around and had been amended.(Local news websites have form when it comes to garbling articles about railways, especially Crossrail.) And those other eight people would also seem to have been expecting the train around 1000ish.

Dunno when the trip was cancelled, and exactly why. Covid restrictions, presumably, and I had wondered how the train could be run cost-effectively without all/most of the seats being taken.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 15:49:49 by Marlburian » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 16:17:22 »

From that article:

The Flying Scotsman was known for its long-distance journeys but was retired from normal service in 1963

Tut, tut, tut.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 13:36:57 »

Some trips postponed (low bookings perhaps?) but some have already happened and others are still going ahead before it heads off to Scotland at the end of the month.  https://www.steamdreams.co.uk/tours.php?loco=6351 has details.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: