Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:55:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should Wightlink Ferries Become Part of Great British Railways?  (Voting closed: June 06, 2021, 10:26:28)
Yes - 12 (44.4%)
No - 10 (37%)
Don't know/Don't care - 5 (18.5%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll - Should Wightlink Ferries Become Part of Great British Railways?  (Read 3139 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: May 30, 2021, 10:26:28 »

Here's an interesting question for you:

https://onthewight.com/when-is-the-fastcat-evening-service-coming-back/

Quote from: OnTheWight
When is the FastCat evening service coming back?

Since Wightlink’s FastCat was reinstated following Lockdown #2, the late night service has remained suspended.

The last FastCat from Portsmouth to the Isle of Wight is 8.20pm, meaning Islanders going out in Portsmouth or Southsea are limited in where they can go and how long they can stay on the other side of the water.

It also means the latest train from London that someone can catch and expect to cross the Solent using the catamaran is 6.30pm from Waterloo.

However, prior to the Covid-19 pandemic it was possible to catch a train from Waterloo at 9pm, connect with the 10.45pm sailing from Portsmouth Harbour and travel back to Ryde, Shanklin, Ventnor and Wroxall by Island Line train and Southern Vectis bus.

Seamless connection from London
Clearly not everyone is bothered about getting back from London in the evening, but there are a number of people who live here and carry out work for clients up there.

The advantage to the Island as a whole is that it brings money to the Island to be spent here.

Forced to use car
One Wightlink commuter tells News OnTheWight they have been trying to seek clarity from the ferry operator as to when they intend to reinstate the late night service, but has not had much luck.

The commuter says,

“At a time when it is imperative to reduce carbon emissions, Wightlink seem to plan to force Island residents to use cars instead of more sustainable modes of transport or just stay at home.

“If this is to be a permanent arrangement then the millions of pounds spent on upgrading the Island Line will be largely wasted.”

Wightlink: Unable to share information about future timetable changes
The response that the commuter received from Wightlink when he asked whether and when the late night service would be reinstated reads:

“I can understand you being eager to get back to travelling later in the evening! Unfortunately, we are unable to share any information about future timetable changes, although we always make sure that customers are the first to know when changes are confirmed.

“We are delighted to have started to reopen for business on all our usual routes and are monitoring passenger numbers carefully to ensure we are meeting the needs of customers in a way that’s sustainable for our business.”

Wightlink: Get the car ferry
News OnTheWight has also contacted Wightlink to see whether they are able to shed any more light on the situation.

The response we received was,

“Currently we are carrying less than 50 per cent of normal passenger numbers on the FastCats and no decision has been taken on running more services.

“Car ferries from Fishbourne to Portsmouth operate later in the evening and there’s plenty of room for foot passengers.”

Using the car ferry does not have the advantage of landing in at Ryde where they is easy access to the train line (when it’s working) or the range of bus routes.

For many living in Venntor, Shanklin, Sandown etc, Fishbourne is effectively in the middle of nowhere.

Appeal to MP (Member of Parliament)
The Island commuter also got in touch with the MP’s office, appealing for Bob Seely to contact Wightlink and ask them to clarify their long term plans for the Ryde Pier to Portsmouth Harbour catamaran service.

Bob Seely’s office have advised that this matter “has now been raised with Wightlink”.

Nationalise the Catamaran
The commuter also asked the MP to speak with the Secretary of State for Transport about the FastCat.

He wants to know if the Sec of State will consider incorporating the FastCat route into the new Great British Railways operation?

He says,

“After all, it’s raison d’etre is to connect two rail terminals.”

He didn’t get a response to that question, but has chased it up and we’ll update once we hear back.

Of course, the ferry services in question were previously run by the British Railways Board, and then latterly by British Rail subsidiary Sealink up until 1984.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 10:44:31 »

Yes if we had a sensible integrated transport policy. It could be run as concession with integrated timetables..
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 13:47:14 »

I voted "no" and was clearly in a small minority in so doing.

My reason is that I feel that running the railways will be enough of a challenge for GBR (Great British Railways) and that ships as well might be too much.
Whilst I hope that GBR will be a forward step, I have some misgivings about the idea and feel ships should only come under their control after some years of satisfactory railway operation.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 16:37:11 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 08:24:23 »

My reason is that I feel that running the railways will be enough of a challenge for GBR (Great British Railways) and that ships as well might be too much.
Whilst I hope that GBR will be a forward step, I have some misgivings about the idea and feel ships should only come under their control after some years of satisfactory railway operation.

The voting has swung - perhaps you have had some influence?

I'm not sure what the "right" answer is ... the strategic outcome I would like to see is all modes of public transport connecting through and providing integrated information and ticketing, including looking after the through passenger's interests when things go pear-shaped.     

Whether your feelings that taking on ships would be too much for GBR, or whether a separate / linked divisions who know about boats rather than trains should be done from "day one" ... I know not.  What is "interesting" is a significant investment in the railway from Ryde Pier Head to Shankin, and a good service from many places to Portsmouth Harbour - both becoming GBR, with an apparently unconnected and withering service between the two parts of the network. For that reason, I would like to see it under the management for passenger experience of a single entity - looking after your journey from Brighton to Brading, London to Lake or Shoreham to Shankin.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 08:38:50 »

Agreed. "Stick to the knitting".
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 09:18:06 »

I voted 'No' because:

GBR (Great British Railways) should just stick to the 'day job'; there are far too many examples of companies getting involved with enterprises in which they have no expertise, making a complete mess of it, and wrecking the whole operation.
Wightlink is a Private Limited Company - I am not a supporter of compulsory renationalisation.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 09:26:15 »

I voted "yes" because of my experience of living in Ryde for several years. My "yes" refers only to the Portsmouth Harbour - Ryde Pierhead link, which is just a link in the rail service to the Island and is also used (as I did) as a daily commuter link by many non rail travellers.
It makes little sense to have (what will be) a nationalised rail service with a privately owned ferry in the middle of it. If, for purely commercial reasons, Wightlink decided to close down this link at some time in the future they would have GBR (Great British Railways) over a very large barrel - it might as well be nationalised from the outset The car ferries can carry on as a privately owned company and compete with Red Funnel. The car ferries are most definitely not rail business - except for carrying new rolling stock over to the Island perhaps ....
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 09:36:40 »

British Railways ran many ferry services in their time and all provided a rail connection.
Scotland, Wales, North Sea, Dover Straits, Isle of Wight, even the Dartmouth ferry.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 12:00:09 »

Surely the andwer here is to initially concentrate on getting the late night service reinstated in the most popular days of the week for late night entertainment - so Fridays & Saturdays? If necessary, the local councils/LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about)(s) coupd subsidise the costs if doing this would result in additional losses?

Prove there’s a ‘use it ir lose it’ case for say 6 to 9 months - to the end of the year?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 16:05:02 »

Surely the andwer here is to initially concentrate on getting the late night service reinstated in the most popular days of the week for late night entertainment - so Fridays & Saturdays? If necessary, the local councils/LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about)(s) coupd subsidise the costs if doing this would result in additional losses?

Prove there’s a ‘use it ir lose it’ case for say 6 to 9 months - to the end of the year?

Provided you also have one eye on the long term if it works.  If a council or LEP is going to subsidise it need to be prepared to do so well beyond your trial period.   And six to nine months is perilously short (you need 3 years), especially in the current unstable passenger flow conditions with coronavirus and with booking and reservation systems which, frankly, seem designed to confuse and put people off.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 16:14:23 »

‘Works’ would mean enough passengers to make those services pay for themselves....so worth continuing without subsidy.

Then maybe nove on to other weekdays to do the same.

I can’t support a ‘nice to have’ unfortunately. There are other more urgent services requiring funding
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 17:26:46 »

‘Works’ would mean enough passengers to make those services pay for themselves....so worth continuing without subsidy.

Then maybe nove on to other weekdays to do the same.

I can’t support a ‘nice to have’ unfortunately. There are other more urgent services requiring funding

What the Wight locals are arguing though is that it goes beyond just "nice to have" "late nighf entertainment" - there are livelihoods at stake and other vital uses denied as well. It's a similar situation to how many locals believed that that their evening bus services were "economically nexessary" but the Cameron and May administrations believed they were "nice to have", when justifying cutting back the Regional Transport Grants that local authorities used to fund them.

Through Bus Back Better, the current Johnson administration - and the Prime Minister did write the BBB introduction - make clear that they agree that such evening bus services are "economically necessary" rather than "nice to have", and set out a clear route both strategically and in terms of funding towards reintroducing and strengthening them on that basis.

All the Wight locals seem to be asking for is equivalent treatment of their "economically necessary" ferry services. Is it right they be denied that?

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 17:30:27 »

If it's so vityal, what are they doing currently?
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 17:57:08 »

If it's so vityal, what are they doing currently?

According to the article, they are either being forced to use cars in order to access the Fishbourne car ferries that run later, or stay at home, lose job and other opportunities, and become isolated from society as a result. This in turn risks having a damaging effect on the island as a whole both economically and environmentally.

It is those kind of arguments when deployed against evening bus service cuts that had the cumulative effect of making such cuts be viewed so negatively that it has given the current government little choice but to act, as welcome as I view the fact that they are acting.

But for the grace of god go trains - You are already seeing the beginnings of the "nice to have" argument being deployed on certain SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services, for example.

Is that the future people want to see?

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 17:59:33 »

I voted for "don't know" but not for "don't care ".
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: