11:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
15:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 14:15:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[220] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[109] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[37] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[16] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bedwyn, Hungerford and Kintbury - state of service, late May 2021  (Read 4155 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 30, 2021, 15:32:22 »

Where have I been today?

Starting off in "The Lighter Side" but comments to follow are a more serious thread so I'll move it and relabel the thread in due course.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 22:07:39 »

Grahame, it looks as if you’ve been to Bedwyn
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 07:34:28 »

Grahame, it looks as if you’ve been to Bedwyn

Yes ... we had an appointment in the Kennet Valley at 10 a.m.; drove for once and passed through Great Bedwyn at around 12:30 on our return trip. Stopped to take a brief look at the station, and it happened that the 12:38 to Reading (2 car turbo) started from there while we watched.  For those who don't know Bedwyn, the train from London terminates at the Exeter-bound platform, heads off into a siding for the layover / turn around, then calls at the London platform for no more than a minute or two as it starts it return Journey - in normal times to London, yesterday to Reading, but mostly at the moment just to Newbury.

I would estimate that some twenty people joined the train - a handful more seeing them off.  The two car turbo was adequate from here, but could have become a social distancing problem with joiners along the way.   The Station car park appeared full, village had lots of cars parked too.

Witness yesterday, at what should have been a quiet time in the middle of a Sunday ... Bedwyn has a surprisingly high traffic flow.  It serves not only the immediate village area (where I suspect people have moved because of the train, and been able to take jobs otherwise impractical) but is also the railhead for a large area of Wiltshire - not only drop-offs and parkers, but a connecting bus service from Marlborough too.  The Bedwyn train also serves Hungerford (a town of 6,000 people) and Kintbury.  In the proper timetable, an hourly service to London is provided by IET (Intercity Express Train) trains.  At present, I think uniquely amongst the GWR (Great Western Railway) services, a shuttle is being provided most of the time just to Newbury, change for a local train to Reading, change again if you're headed for London.  Connections at Newbury have to be timed to work operationally, and that means some long waits.   The cause of the problem is not the coronavirus restrictions, but the rail industry's failure to have enough serviceable IET trains available to run the service that was timetabled.

Sharing here - from the Bedwyn Trains mailing list, an update received yesterday.

Dear All,

We have received the following email from the MD of GWR, regarding the current situation.

It looks as if we are stuck for the foreseeable with the majority of our trains, with the exception of a few peak trains, being shuttle service between Bedwyn and Newbury.

Thank you for letting us know about the poor timings for school children returning from Newbury, poor connection times at Newbury, the short notice cancellations and the poor quality of information when things go wrong. We have taken all these points up with GWR.

For now please (i) always check your journey online and (ii) let us have any feedback.

Best wishes

Steve Smith
Bedwyn Trains Passenger Group

The attached letter from Mark:

Hi Steve

Thanks to you and Bill for your emails and for passing on the comments coming through from Bedwyn users. I’ve asked Jane to come back to you separately on the customer information point you sent through below.

I asked our timetable team to go away and try and find a fix for some of the school trains back to Hungerford, Kintbury and Bedwyn. We won’t be able to put them back to their original timings, but certainly move them closer, and I am hopeful we will have this resolved for services next week.  We will confirm as soon as we have everything in place, and will welcome your help in spreading the news to your members.

We have also had a look at the connection times at Newbury for the Bedwyn shuttle. This is more challenging with both our services coming to/from the South West and the amount of freight on the line.  In the evening peak, even with the connection at Newbury, timings are comparable to the direct services we usually run, but I understand the frustration of waiting for the shuttle and we are looking at it. We would of course prefer to bring back the direct services, something I know you want too!  We will return these to the timetable as soon as possible. I am cautious however at putting a firm date on that while Hitachi continue to work through the repair plan for the IETs.

We will keep you updated on any further mitigations re the connections and will confirm the school services as soon as we can.  I am really grateful to you and BTPG members for alerting us to these key services.  I do understand it is frustrating that we cannot get everything back to normal more quickly. Things are better, and the loan of additional Class 387s has been a great help in plugging the missing IETs gap, but there is still a gap, and we can’t yet return weekday directs.

I’m therefore very grateful for your patience and that of our customers at Bedwyn, Kintbury and Hungerford as we work to resolve this, along with Hitachi and other industry partners.  As the picture gets clearer I suggest Jane sets up a meeting with you and Bill, and some members of our team, and potentially Hitachi.  In the meantime, we will keep in touch and again thank you for your help in mitigating the temporary timetable.

Best wishes

Mark

Mark Hopwood CBE | Managing Director | Great Western Railway
Milford House | 1 Milford Street | Swindon | SN1 1HL

I will add that although the root cause of the current degradation of the service is a rail industry fault, it is not rooted at GWR who have to pick up the pieces caused by a shortage of trains, and I complement Mark and his team on being forthright and on taking steps to mitigate the issues.  I will leave it to those who are fuller informed to follow up, if they wish, with comment as to whether the issues are sufficiently addresses for the customers (in this case using "customer" for passengers rather than for contract awarder - DfT» (Department for Transport - about)).

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 08:08:16 »

It just goes to show the utter folly of not extending the wires to Bedwyn so you could have ran 387s the entire length of the Paddington to Bedwyn service.

I’ve always felt using IETs (Intercity Express Train), that were designed for long distance intercity services (steady Broadgage!) for what is essentially a commuter route a bit of a waste of a resource, especially when long distance trains end up shortformed. But because of the ridiculous decision not to extend the wires GWR (Great Western Railway) had little option but to use a Bimode train.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 10:48:16 »

Perhaps the 769s could be used as a stop gap when approved?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 15:54:55 »

The present setup is less than ideal.   769s could logically run Reading to Bedwyn but for that London start they would be too slow / eat up paths (and I suspect that politically they wouldn't want to be seen at Paddington?).  The very fact that it's the Bedwyn service that's been sacrificed during the IET (Intercity Express Train) shortage may suggest something about it - most easily pulled, least tuned? I'm not being constructive so far - just pointing out what a can of worms the Berks and Hants intermediate station services are.

Does look at station use give us any clues?

Add to that factors such as how frequent trains run, where people travel, where people WANT to travel (you try to go west from Bedwyn!) and you still have a bit of a headscratcher.

Idea for the future ...
1. All stations reading to Newbury with 387 every hour
2a. London service Theale, Thatcham, Newbury, Kintbury and Hungerford to Bedwyn extended to Pewsey, Devizes Gateway and Westbury every 2 hours
2b. London service Theale, Thatcham, Newbury, Kintbury and Hungerford to Bedwyn extended to Pewsey, Devizes Gateway, Westbury, Frome, Bruton Castle Cary, Taunton, Tiverton and Exeter St Davids every 2 hours
3. Services 2a and 2b replace current (2 hourly) semifasts

I expect a few grumps about extended Reading to Taunton journey time.  Sure, but passengers should be using the Plymouth express!   Operationally, it could add a unit to the roster. But then you are saving at least one on the current hourly "Bedwyn"s.

jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 21:20:05 »

If only after Pewsey it could go Devizes, Semington, Bradford-on-Avon, Bath, Oldfield Park, Keynsham, and Bristol Temple Meads. Might get a bit of ridership going in both directions then.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 21:43:23 »

If only after Pewsey it could go Devizes, Semington, Bradford-on-Avon, Bath, Oldfield Park, Keynsham, and Bristol Temple Meads. Might get a bit of ridership going in both directions then.

From Bedwyn, Pewsey and Devizes Gateway with good connections (at Westbury)  to Trowbridge, Bradford-on-Avon, Bath and Bristol Temple Meads (and Vice Versa) you have traffic flow generation opportunities.  I suspect they might be slow-grow, with the presence of the connections encouraging people to take on jobs and lifestyles because the service is there, with a relatively small initial base.  But then it's a connection between two trains each of which should have good BCRs (Benefit Cost Ratio), so all things being equal costs nothing to provide.

Now - did anyone mention extending the Westbury terminator to Yeovil, Dorchester and Weymouth?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: