Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:33:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Summer Days - POSTPONED: June 30, 2021
  • Summer Day Out - new launch: July 26, 2021
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Summer days out are better by train" - Community Rail Network from 30.6.21  (Read 4624 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 04, 2021, 13:04:19 »

Community Rail in the City - a single day event at major London and other key locations - is replaced this year by "Summer days out are better by train" - a ten week campaign launching on 30th June.

I learned at the TransWilts Annual Meeting yesterday that our local CRP (Community Rail Partnership) will be hosting / running an event on the disused platform at Chippenham on that day, with Friends groups from Chippenham and Swindon stations both joining them to help their / wider promotion.  Travel southwards via Melksham will be especially promoted, with active travel highlighted through such initiatives as their walking and cycling leaflets.

During various weeks of the campaign, different aspect will be promoted.  These include
18th July - Family Outings
8th August - Scenic Services

Really good to see / hear of - at long last - some rail promotion ...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 17:23:37 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 14:27:06 »

Surely better to exhibit in town centres? Those at the station surelyvare already ‘converted’?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 15:11:50 »

Surely better to exhibit in town centres? Those at the station surelyvare already ‘converted’?

"Community Rail in The City" targeted the large number of commuters who didn't expand their daily commute into family trips out.  I did several that were great fun, and very useful for other reasons (such as meeting key industry and central government people) at Waterloo, and we did a great Coffee Shop one at Reading - very useful from a different direction in that we met quite a number of Coffee Shop members and guests, and introduced a few more to our place.   Towards the end of my time with TransWilts, we did a similar session at Swindon station - the daytime before GWR (Great Western Railway)'s reception / pre-conference dinner; much of the publicity there was in reaching and informing other community rail players, and regular commuters passing through Swindon.  Sad memories from me on that latter as I fell foul of the cutoff rules to attend the evening set by the TransWilts board and headed home after the stand, but the day itself (and, I understand, the evening celebration of TransWilts achievements) was a great success.

I don't know the logic of 30th June being at Chippenham Station, nor the selection criteria for station groups.  I would agree, ChrisB, that there is a very strong logic for the summer promotion campaigns to be in town and not at stations, based on current low footfalls there, and the metrics of those feet that are falling.  The Melksham Transport User Group officers met early this week, and we will be concentrating this summer on venues and opportunities away from the station, but that should not be regarded as an "either/or" choice.   If invited to Chippenham (and I am surprised that we have not yet been as the CRN(resolve) group for Melksham Station) I would recommend acceptance and do BOTH at-station AND in-community.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 17:19:15 »

From CRN(resolve) - the launch will be postponed until "a more appropriate time when we can actively promote leisure travel by rail" if the opening up on 21st June does not happen.

We will confirm our plans with you shortly after 14 June.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 09:30:24 »

From CRN(resolve) - the launch will be postponed until "a more appropriate time when we can actively promote leisure travel by rail" if the opening up on 21st June does not happen.

SOME elements relaxed ... awaiting news to update this thread.

Speaking with a member of Melksham Morris Dancers last night, she is under the impression that their event at Chippenham Station is confirmed and not dependent on the complete opening up ... there may be other events too which are not easily postponed at this point.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 10:07:19 »

SOME elements relaxed ... awaiting news to update this thread.

Speaking with a member of Melksham Morris Dancers last night, she is under the impression that their event at Chippenham Station is confirmed and not dependent on the complete opening up ... there may be other events too which are not easily postponed at this point.

Just received from the Community Rail Network ...

As you may expect, our summer tourism campaign will not be launching on 30 June due to the delay in lockdown restrictions lifting.

We are conscious of the changing environment and are looking at all options available with regards new dates for the campaign. We will be considering current visitor attitudes towards travel and will also be liaising with some of our stakeholders. This delay may also mean that we have a slight shift in our messaging moving towards Discoveries by Rail and Days Out by Rail.

I will confirm plans with you and share our updated content calendar within the next couple of weeks.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 17:27:29 »

From the Community Rail Network ...

I can now confirm our tourism and leisure PR (Public Relations) campaign will be launched on Monday 26 July (across England and Scotland only; Wales remains on hold)

I have a lot more including an 8 week calendar of events

Week commencing 12th July - further updates ...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: