Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:30:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Walking between Marlow and Henley  (Read 5529 times)
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2021, 23:18:14 »

I am intending to do a walk from Marlow to Henley sometime soon. Someware I have seen information on a ticket easement that allows travel out on one Thames branch and return on another providing you have a return ticket to the furthest point.

Can anyone point me to the official Information if this still applies.
Birdie100

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 03:02:27 »

As someone who enjoyed his first train ride of 2021 from Shiplake to Twyford, here’s your answer! Amazing to think it’s taken until 4th June to travel by train. A few years back I’d been on the underground returning from the NYE fireworks by 12.15am!

https://uk.railway.narkive.com/yp78gXVJ/y-shaped-journeys
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 06:43:32 »

As someone who enjoyed his first train ride of 2021 from Shiplake to Twyford, here’s your answer! Amazing to think it’s taken until 4th June to travel by train. A few years back I’d been on the underground returning from the NYE fireworks by 12.15am!

https://uk.railway.narkive.com/yp78gXVJ/y-shaped-journeys

Well researched!!!  That thread is 16 years old and it does not appear in the more recent (current? mirror) easement list as far as I can see.   Even 16 years ago, it was rather obscure.

I believe there is (or has been) similar arrangement for walkers on
the Henley and Marlow branches, allowing people to walk along the
river between the two.

Perhaps these are a relic of the rail + Salters steamer arrangements

Indeed, Windsor too IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly). I had to remind the gripper when he wueried my
Marlow ticket on a Henley - Twyford train.

It's not advertised though, so I dont see the reason for having it.

'Thames Path' easement of CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) route validity:
Twyford - Henley-on-Thames
Maidenhead - Marlow
Slough - Windsor & E. Central
CDR tickets issued to stations on the above First Great Western Link
branch lines are valid to return from stations on the other branches,
provided that the ticket is issued to the furthest point. This is to
enable customers to walk the Thames Path. This easement is therefore
sometimes referred to as the 'Thames Path Ticket'

I will enquire a bit further - may be able to get some follow up.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 08:18:37 »

I should have an answer as to whether this still applies over the next few days.   Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 22:48:28 »

I did the Marlow to Henley walk last Tuesday the 8th

I used an Anytime day return in the end.

The day did not start well I had intended to catch the 08:28 from Pershore. This would have got me to Marlow at 10:57.

I looked at trains from Pershore on my phone at about 07:15 and found that the 08:28 was showing as 45 late.
I rushed round and got the car out (I had intended to walk to Pershore station).
I arrived at the station just in time to get straight on the 07:44 at this point I checked the 08:28 again
and found it was cancelled.

As I had missed breakfast and was an hour early arriving at Marlow.
(Via a Plus 0 connection at Twyford. Only made because I worked out exactly where to travel on the 9 coach TFL (Transport for London)▸ rail service).
I had a cooked breakfast sat outside the Strawberry Grove cafe in Marlow. The first breakfast out since March 2020.

A pleasant walk along the Thames took about three and a quarter hours with stops at the 3 locks along the way. Good views can be had at all these locks as the path has to run near the lock. There are security fences around the locks due to Covid. (At some locks on the Thames the path now completely by-passes the lock). The Thames path was quite busy in places. Work on the stands for Henley Regatta has started.

My journey home was enlivened by a drunk who boarded the train at Henley and made a lot of noise at Twyford. He was taken away by two burley BTP (British Transport Police)▸ constables at Reading.

Marlow Bridge

The Flower Pot at Aston

Hambleden Mill

Water Irises between Hambleden and Henley
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 22:29:28 »

I forgot to say in my post yesterday that the Refreshment Kiosk and toilets where open at Hurley lock when I passed at about midday.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 22:02:57 »

I should have an answer as to whether this still applies over the next few days.   Grin

I have confirmation that the easement still applies:

'Thames Path' easement of CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day'))▸ route validity:
Twyford - Henley-on-Thames
Maidenhead - Marlow
Slough - Windsor & E. Central
CDR tickets issued to stations on the above First Great Western Link
branch lines are valid to return from stations on the other branches,
provided that the ticket is issued to the furthest point. This is to
enable customers to walk the Thames Path. This easement is therefore
sometimes referred to as the 'Thames Path Ticket'

Not only does it still apply - I am encouraged to publicise it.  A real opportunity for a great day out.  Thank you to my contacts at GWR (Great Western Railway) for following up on this and in such a positive way.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 23:28:12 »

Today ...

07:53 Melksham to Swindon - class 158
08:40 Swindon to Reading (calling at Didcot) - class 800
09:15 Reading to Twyford - class 387
09:46 Twyford to Henley-on-Thames - class 165
Walk to Marlow
16:00 Marlow to Maidenhead - class 166
16:24 Maidenhead to Reading - class 340 345
16:53 Reading to Swindon (calling at Didcot) - The Mask
17:36 Swindon to Melksham - class 158

All trains on time - all connections made (include a one minute change at Maidenhead). Super off peak day return, Melksham to Didcot. Off peak day return Didcot to Marlow, used Thames Path easement to travel to Henley-on-Thames on the outward trip.

Total price paid (I think) £24.30 (receipt downstairs and I'm, in bed letting a sleeping dog lie at present, so can't check) with a Senior railcard. It would have been £12 more without the split - no day returns Melksham to Marlow so a more expensive period return, and having to buy an extra Twyford to Henley-on-Thames single.  For someone without a knowledge of rail fares, I suspect they might buy two singles at £27.60 Melksham to Henley and £28.80 Marlow to Melksham - totalling £37.30 with a railcard or Groupsave, or £56.40 without.

Talking Groupsave - are Groupsave tickets valid on Crossrail trains like the one I used from Maidenhead to Reading?  Technical question - I used my senior railcard whic I know is valid - I am asking for a local writeup.

Ticket not checked all day - nearest I can was the Train Manager from Swindon to Reading rushing through calling for "unchecked tickets from Swindon" but so fast that I and probably many others missed the opportunity.  Considerable local travel from Marlow to Bourne End and from Cookham to Furze Platt which I suspect was unticketed, at least by some of the people making the journey.

Some trains getting busier, notably the 08:40 Swindon to Reading which was a Taunton Starter.  That may have been because I attempted to take my reserved seat from Swindon (it was occupied by a sleeping bloke, though, so I found a seat reserved Bristol to London that was still unoccupied and used that).  I wonder if all the reservations were in that part of the train and the rest may have been quiet?

Lovely day (not too hot) - thanks for the inspiration, TonyN.  Lots of pictures tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 00:10:24 by grahame » Logged

MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 23:55:58 »

Class 340?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 00:11:07 »

Class 340?

345, thanks. Corrected.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 01:34:50 »

Lovely day (not too hot) - thanks for the inspiration, TonyN.  Lots of pictures tomorrow.

Main transport interest pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/graham.ellis.5055/posts/10159313024017094

Other series from the day:
https://www.facebook.com/graham.ellis.5055/posts/10159313630447094
https://www.facebook.com/graham.ellis.5055/posts/10159313071827094
https://www.facebook.com/graham.ellis.5055/posts/10159313049617094
https://www.facebook.com/graham.ellis.5055/posts/10159313037687094

Random pictures Facebook-free for those who prefer

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 06:51:28 »

Impressive "action" selfie in the 2nd picture Graham - you're looking fit and the beard's been trimmed? Did the woman or the dog pursuing you manage to catch you?  Wink
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 16:05:58 »

Impressive "action" selfie in the 2nd picture Graham - you're looking fit and the beard's been trimmed? Did the woman or the dog pursuing you manage to catch you?  Wink

The dog definitely looks like it is going for the ankle.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: