Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
14:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:12 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
17:05 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
13:49 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
14:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:27 Carmarthen to London Paddington
12:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
13:23 Swansea to London Paddington
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
13:52 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
14:02 Westbury to Gloucester
14:13 Par to Newquay
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 14:59:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[63] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[31] IETs at Melksham
[28] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[26] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[25] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Level Crossing Stories  (Read 3693 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 09, 2021, 10:55:23 »

I am not about to set it up ... but there are times I wonder if we should have a special area for level crossings!  These are all out-of-area stories but have the ring of being learning opportunities for us

https://www.globalrailwayreview.com/article/124670/danger-photography-level-crossings/

A deadly shot: The danger of photography at level crossings

Megan Drayton, Foundation Manager of TrackSAFE Foundation New Zealand, discusses how the increasing popularity of rail tracks and level crossings as a fashionable backdrop in the age of modern photography, creative media and even selfies is seeing lives put at risk.

https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/news/sussex-news/shocking-cctv-shows-girl-lying-5504252

Shocking CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) shows girl lying in middle of railway tracks at Horsham level crossing

A shocking picture showing a girl lying in the middle of a railway line where trains hurtle past at 85mph has been released as Network Rail appealed to children to keep away from the tracks.

The teenager appears to be casually using her mobile phone while another girl stands next to her, despite the incredible dangers.

https://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/19355598.inaudible-train-horn-closes-cononley-crossing/

Story - the IET (Intercity Express Train) that passes at 06:19 and 06:59 ...

‘Inaudible’ train horn closes Cononley crossing

THE closure of a well-used pedestrian rail crossing in Cononley has been extended to over a year, because there’s a slim chance people using it might not hear the horn of one early-morning train per day, a resident has said.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 18:47:06 »

Why is this only considered to be a problem with IETs (Intercity Express Train) ? Surely the horns on these trains comply with all the relevant standards ?

If the horns are NOT compliant, then they should be rectified. (if the department for transport specified the wrong horns, then whoever made the decision should resign. If Hitachi fitted horns that do not comply with specifications then they should rectify this at their expense.)

If, as I suspect to be more likely, the horns are in fact compliant then the crossing should be opened forthwith.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 21:32:47 »

Why is this only considered to be a problem with IETs (Intercity Express Train) ? Surely the horns on these trains comply with all the relevant standards ?

If the horns are NOT compliant, then they should be rectified. (if the department for transport specified the wrong horns, then whoever made the decision should resign. If Hitachi fitted horns that do not comply with specifications then they should rectify this at their expense.)

If, as I suspect to be more likely, the horns are in fact compliant then the crossing should be opened forthwith.

For perfectly understandable reasons, Network Rail (as a rail infrastructure and safety provider) don't like level crossings and want to reduce or eliminate them where possible.  However, there's sometimes a feeling that they will look for any excuse / try it on and see what they can do to remove a crossing without taking an honest, measured, properly consulted and impartial consideration of the uses and requirements of the none-rail user of the crossings.   This is just one story in this thread - I recall Deganwy, Tal-y-Cafn, Angelstein Wharf, Westbury avoider and others where I would question their impartiality, and so many others where people have lost their lives - between Trowbridge and Westbury, and between Kemble and Stroud just locally to me.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 22:05:45 »

Network Rail...honest, measured, properly consulted and impartial consideration...

Grin Grin Grin

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 14:53:06 »

Perhaps all level crossings on routes served by IETs (Intercity Express Train) should be closed ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 17:04:11 »

The article makes no mention of IETs (Intercity Express Train) which don’t operate over that crossing.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 18:03:19 »

The article makes no mention of IETs (Intercity Express Train) which don’t operate over that crossing.  Wink

Correct - it's an Azuma (Brand name for Class 80x trains on LNER)

It transpired the reason for the closure was because the horn signal on the Azuma 800 train, which is used on the Skipton to London Kings Cross service, was deemed inaudible from the crossing. This particular train only passes the Cononley crossing twice each day, both times early in the morning.

It comes out from the depot in Leeds to pick up passengers at Skipton for the 6-56 am Skipton-Kings Cross service, passing through Cononley on its way to Skipton and again shortly after on its way back to Leeds. But because people using the Cononley pedestrian crossing might not hear the horn on this one early morning train, the popular crossing was fenced off.

The alternative route for pedestrians involves walking up Crosshills Road into the village and turning right onto the footpath running past the cricket club. Although the distance to reach the railway station is about the same, this route has two fairly steep inclines, limited visibility, no pavements for most of it length and a history of problems with speeding traffic.

My apologies for introducing the red green herring - I did that amateur jorno thing of calling all class 800 trains by their local name!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 06:49:44 »

Level crossing stories ... https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/flying-scotsman-network-rail-issues-20834779 I note

Mark Killick, Network Rail Wessex route director, said: "The railway is extremely dangerous if people misuse it. It's full of both obvious and hidden dangers, which carry risks of catastrophic injuries or even death."

He added: "It is never acceptable to go onto the track for any reason. Come and enjoy the spectacle of these iconic trains, but please do so from a safe place."

His context is very different and he and everyone else quoted is 100% right in condemning trespassing and creating dangers photographing Flying Scotsman, Tornado and others lineside as they pass, but his statement seems to suggest that the legitimate use of foot crossing is not acceptable too.

I am not standing up for idiots who put themselves and others in danger, and who set a precedent / example for those who know no better, but I am concerned at the wording that appears to condemn the legal use of crossing such as this one:

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 09:13:46 »

I think the point being made is that these crossings have only one purpose - to cross the line from one side to the orher, without stopping - including to take photos.

Photos are fine from outside the railway boundaryif course, eg from where your example was taken
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 11:30:50 »

I think the point being made is that these crossings have only one purpose - to cross the line from one side to the orher, without stopping - including to take photos.

Photos are fine from outside the railway boundaryif course, eg from where your example was taken

I'm sure that is the point that was supposed to be made.  However, it's not what the Network Rail person said - he threw out the very reason these crossings exist and can be properly used with the stupid things that should not be done. Almost as if Network Rail would rather not have them used at all.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 12:09:01 »

Absolutely that's what they want - and if money was no object, they'd all be replaced with bridges/underpasses.

In the meantime....and people (including those that DO know better - so deliberately), will continue to misuse them.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 10:43:36 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) reports on toddler posed to be photographed on level crossing in what I would describe as verging on child abuse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57738291
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2021, 17:25:54 »

This just released by Network Rail.  I had to watch it twice to make sure that I had actually seen what I had seen.
What the train driver must have felt I wouldn't like to imagine.

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/cab-cctv-films-car-inches-away-from-hitting-train-on-level-crossing?fbclid=IwAR1FEKYODx9nBO_sJW3XvLo7Ao8O8Lla7YGTv90OR1NQ81PpOP5Lv64Kues
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 07:58:01 »

And on a different crossing - from the Strathspey Herald

Network Rail has been accused of acting in a high-handed manner after locking the gates to the public without any consultation at a level crossing in Dalwhinnie serving locals and hill-goers.

Community leaders and businesses are angered Ben Alder car park is now out of bounds, and fear it could hit visitor numbers and income in the small village.

They believe many pedestrians and cyclists will continue to use the point to cross the Highland main rail line – as proved the case during a recent temporary closure – and put themselves in greater danger following the move on Wednesday.

Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2021, 10:16:09 »

Re the Burneside incident, not trying to excuse the car driver at all, but ensuring there are adequate sight lines for both car drivers and train drivers (at this type of crossing) is essential.  So the height of the hedge on the train’s left and the car’s right should be maintained accordingly. 

Sight line issues are often mentioned in investigations into uncontrolled crossing incidents.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 10:24:12 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: