Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:06:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Have you cruised?  (Voting closed: June 26, 2021, 06:26:00)
Not thought about it - 4 (33.3%)
No way - 4 (33.3%)
Would like to, but never have - 0 (0%)
I have my first cruise booked - 0 (0%)
Just once and never again - 1 (8.3%)
Once and I would like to again - 1 (8.3%)
Twice - 0 (0%)
Three times - 0 (0%)
More that three times - 2 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A (return) to cruising and faltering first steps  (Read 3991 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 19, 2021, 06:26:00 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Mollie Haugh and her family are among MSC Cruises passengers who have been told that their trips are not going ahead.

Some passengers due to set sail with the cruise company are having their trips cancelled.

This is because the delay to easing Covid restrictions means the ships have been overbooked.

The company had sold tickets for the trips presuming that Covid restrictions would be lifted on the 21 June.

But the end of remaining coronavirus restrictions was shifted on Monday to 19 July after a rise in cases.

Passengers were only told yesterday that their trips would not be going ahead.

Cruise ships are allowed to hold up to 1,000 guests under current guidelines.

Oh dear ...

I used to be in the "No way" category ... but that was in the last millennium.  Odd really as I loved day trips out on Waverley and her cousins on the Clyde.  Our first "Perl Whirl" in 2000 converted us.

Cruising will be very different, I suspect, when we return (which is booked) but care has been taken in our own arrangements to allow for cancellations as the industry and the holidays falter back.  Due to our circumstances, that IS easier for us than for many people, for which I'm thankful.

In another story, I noted that a cruise from Southampton was unable to dock at Greenock ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 09:37:59 »

Well ...

Not thought about it   - 4 (33.3%)
No way   - 4 (33.3%)
Would like to, but never have   - 0 (0%)
I have my first cruise booked   - 0 (0%)
Just once and never again   - 1 (8.3%)
Once and I would like to again   - 1 (8.3%)
Twice   - 0 (0%)
Three times   - 0 (0%)
More that three times   - 2 (16.7%)

I think that tells me that very few of our members cruise or are likely to do so!   I wonder how many of you might go on a "land cruise" by train ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 09:40:41 »

Indeed….the views are constantly *changing* on a land cruise. A big difference
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 19:11:29 »

Restrictions being suitably eased, I'm seriously thinking of a Mosel/Rhine river cruise next year and boss lady seems to be in agreement.  They have the advantage of constantly changing beautiful scenery, not just open sea, and interesting stops every day.  The idea had been with me for a while and watching a recent TV program on Mosel river cruises rather helped me to make my mind up.
Land cruises by train are also very much on the agenda, probably UK (United Kingdom) first but, in the words of Arthur Daley, "the world is our lobster"!
PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 20:54:36 »

I'm picky on cruise itineraries.  For me what is important is the port days - interesting places and plenty of time in port.  Then the occasional sea days let me rest between the port days.  This means I prefer the smaller cruise ships - not those big new things that look like blocks of flats and that only visit a limited number of ports.

But I also know people who prefer sea days because they enjoy the care-free pampering.  That's just not for me.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 23:21:53 »

I'm picky on cruise itineraries.  For me what is important is ....

Yes ... think I follow that. But yet of all the things we (Lisa and I) do, these tend to be the impulse buys and from the heart rather than the head. Turns out we fancy a real eclectic mixture; no problems in deciding between us either.

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 08:56:53 »

Been away - so missed this.

My wife and daughter are cruise veterans, but you will never get me on board an ocean-going ship! I am more of a land cruise person.

The ladies of the household had booed to go on a 'Search for the Northern Lights' cruise back in October 2020; that was obviously cancelled and they were re-booked on the equivalent 2021 cruise. That was cancelled about 10 days ago and they have been re-booked on the 2022 version.

I did manage a cruise 'up the Inside Passage' (British Columbia) back in 2002, but that was part of a longer itinerary. For now, I'll stick to the IOW or CalMac ferries.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 11:17:36 »

I was opposed to cruising on health and hygiene grounds long before the present pandemic.
Large numbers of people crammed together asks for illness to spread. Norovirus and related illness were a recurring feature of cruises.
Apart from crowding, I blame the spread of infections on two factors.
Firstly low temperature laundry processes. Modern washing machines and detergents can render bed linen etc. clean LOOKING at 40 degrees or even less. A temperature too low to kill bacteria.

Secondly, poor standards of food hygiene with many catering staff from countries with flexible standards. Lack of refrigerated displays for help yourself buffets and the like.

Add to this the risks of mechanical breakdowns and failures, that even if not dangerous can certainly spoil a holiday.

Here is a nice video taken on a cruise ship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvx70ebtil0
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 21:45:26 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 23:00:04 »

Secondly, poor standards of food hygiene with many catering staff from countries with flexible standards. Lack of refrigerated displays for help yourself buffets and the like.

I've been on 5 cruises with P&O (the last 2 years ago) and long before Covid was even a thought, hand-sanitising was strictly enforced on entering the dining rooms and widely used when entering the food servery areas in the buffets.

Cleanliness on board always seemed pretty good to me and I never experienced any onboard food-poisoning outbreaks or anything else.

As usual, it seems to me that you look for the negative in order to support your belligerent views, rather than the reality, which is that the issues you describe (including a cruise ship encountering a storm) are fairly rare.

My experience of the latter is that it's sometimes a lot rougher outside than the ship will make you feel it is.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 16:08:32 by Thatcham Crossing » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 07:02:51 »

If I felt it wasn't safe, I wouldn't be planning to take a cruise next month ...

Everything is a risk.  I note that with up to 5,200 guests on Iona (the ship we are sailing on) at normal times, and 1,800 crew, over 8 days, you'll have 56,000 person days on board.  Average UK (United Kingdom) life expectancy is just over 80 years - about 29,000 days.  So on that cruise, on the law of averages, you must expect people to pass away. People typically don't start if they're really sick - so chances are perhaps lowered.  Average UK passenger cruise age is 57 - so perhaps chances are increased.  I am aware of the stats, and of people passing during past cruises I have taken.

On the less dramatic side of scratched, bruises, sickness including from food or airborne infections - tend to happen more frequently, don't they, when you're away from daily routine?   I am satisfied that they are dealt with well on the cruises we have been on - with major reputable lines. That's not only in presentation to the guests (who could soon be thin on the ground if they were not!) but also in what actually happens.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 14:48:30 »

I see nothing "belligerent" in my views. I simply stated that I am opposed to cruises for the reasons given.
If others wish to cruise then that is up to them.

I would not ban cruises in general, the fuel consumption is regrettable but that is true of many other things also.

I would support a ban on cruise ships visiting certain locations where significant harm results. Examples include Venice (the wakes of huge ships even moving very slowly cause flooding) and remote locations where endangered wildlife is disturbed, or fragile ecosystems damaged by sheer numbers of visitors.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 16:05:52 »

I would not ban cruises in general

Well, I'm sure the industry heaves a huge sigh of relief at that news  Wink

Grahame, will be interested to hear your impressions on Iona  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 16:33:16 »

Grahame, will be interested to hear your impressions on Iona  Smiley

With a none-landing cruise next month, I'm sure it will one very difficult to avoid my posts describing the experience in many of my usual places  Grin
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 16:38:20 by grahame » Logged

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 17:29:19 »

A friend of mine has made many lengthy voyages as a passenger on a cargo ship, and they speak well of this mode of transport.
Facilities are less than on a liner, but the cabins are often bigger and better, and the atmosphere more relaxed. Food is limited in choice but of excellent quality. Soft drinks and food included, alcoholic drink is extra but at duty free prices not bar prices.

One crossing was in very bad weather, and verging upon dangerous, but others have been pleasant.

They have also traveled on a dual purpose ship that carried a dozen shipping containers, deck cargo, and about 50 passengers. Such ships serve the smaller islands in many parts of the world.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 18:06:49 »

A friend of mine has made many lengthy voyages as a passenger on a cargo ship, and they speak well of this mode of transport.
Facilities are less than on a liner, but the cabins are often bigger and better, and the atmosphere more relaxed. Food is limited in choice but of excellent quality. Soft drinks and food included, alcoholic drink is extra but at duty free prices not bar prices.

One crossing was in very bad weather, and verging upon dangerous, but others have been pleasant.

They have also traveled on a dual purpose ship that carried a dozen shipping containers, deck cargo, and about 50 passengers. Such ships serve the smaller islands in many parts of the world.

Any "Port" in a storm eh Broadgage? Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: