24/04/24 00:31 London Paddington to Oxford
Delayed
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 21:11:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[198] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[114] You see all sorts on the bus.
[103] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[69] Death of another bus station?
[46] "Mayflower"
[41] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Devon and Cornwall resignalling  (Read 24564 times)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2023, 08:54:44 »

Meanwhile I have also seen it mentioned on another forum that the eastern section of Plymouth PSB (Power Signal Box) - Totnes (excl.) to Hemerdon - is due to be resignalled in 2024 and that will be controlled from a new workstation to be housed at Plymouth PSB rather than from the Plymouth panel: among the alterations in connection with the Totnes - Hemerdon work will be the abolition of the loop on the Up Main at Hemerdon. The closest I get to signalling nowadays is playing a certain computer game.

Dave
Am I reading this correctly!
Cornwall (well, parts) will be worked from Exeter, whilst Plymouth to Totnes will be worked from Plymouth.
Surely more effective for Cornwall to be worked from Plymouth, unless, of course, the future plan is for Exeter to control all West.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2023, 15:25:46 »

Cornwall (well, parts) will be worked from Exeter, whilst Plymouth to Totnes will be worked from Plymouth.
Surely more effective for Cornwall to be worked from Plymouth, unless, of course, the future plan is for Exeter to control all West.
I think it was last Christmas, (or maybe the year before), that saw the sudden renaming of the existing IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre) to Tyneside ROC (Rail Operating Centre - a centralised location for railway signalling and train control operations for a specific route or region), previously expected to be re-controlled to York.  Turned out the plan to have one location covering the entire stretch from Kings Cross to the border was now significantly changed.   I predict another mini-ROC at either Exeter or Plymouth, but probably not both?

Paul
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 15:40:37 by paul7575 » Logged
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2023, 01:07:55 »

[.....]I predict another mini-ROC (Rail Operating Centre - a centralised location for railway signalling and train control operations for a specific route or region) at either Exeter or Plymouth, but probably not both?

Paul
I have heard it said that Exeter may become an ROC and eventually end up controlling everything southwest of the Bristol PSB (Power Signal Box) boundary at Bridgwater: apparently TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) isn't big enough and Plymouth wouldn't be big enough to house an ROC of the size needed to control all west either.

Dave
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2023, 06:15:28 »

I have heard it said that Exeter may become an ROC (Rail Operating Centre - a centralised location for railway signalling and train control operations for a specific route or region) and eventually end up controlling everything southwest of the Bristol PSB (Power Signal Box) boundary at Bridgwater: apparently TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) isn't big enough and Plymouth wouldn't be big enough to house an ROC of the size needed to control all west either.

Dave
Sort of a shame.
Would have preferred a Plymouth mini ROC, but at least Exeter is still in Devon

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2023, 19:32:22 »

Sort of a shame. Would have preferred a Plymouth mini ROC (Rail Operating Centre - a centralised location for railway signalling and train control operations for a specific route or region), but at least Exeter is still in Devon
Quite. If, however, you consider that each workstation on an ROC can require between 5 and 10 screens - see https://photos.signalling.org/picture?/25367/category/3217-2013_november - then you would need to expand the Plymouth PSB (Power Signal Box) (or build a new one) but there isn't much space in the Plymouth station area for that I don't think. Exeter is a bigger building.

TBH (to be honest) I think having Kings Cross (and, as of very recently, Peterborough) controlled from York is silly: not only is putting all your eggs in one basket a very bad idea but I always say that there is also no substitute for local knowledge when it comes to things such as signalling. Kings Cross and Peterborough might have been better housed at Doncaster if that had been an ROC (or converted to one).

Dave
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2023, 20:59:38 »

I remember a few years back being shown round TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) and the screens were arranged in a giant horseshoe.  Paddington was at one end with Penzance planned for the other.  A signaller remarked he would be able to send a train out from London and before the end of his shift see it arrive in West Cornwall.

Obviously plans change. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2023, 21:55:15 »

Someone's going suggest it could all be done from Bengaluru or Jaipur

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2023, 05:30:41 »

As was National Rail enquiries a while ago - is it still sent overseas?

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2023, 09:07:01 »

But consider the security implications of offshoring a critical safety function. Its not going to happen.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2023, 12:49:56 »

Cancellations to services at St Erth
Due to urgent repairs to the railway at St Erth the line is closed.
Train services running through this station may be cancelled or delayed by up to 60 minutes. Disruption is expected until 14:15 10/09.
Customer Advice
The Main Line in Cornwall is closed today for routine engineering works. Replacement road transport is operating, however it has not been possible to cover all of the advertised service, and coaches have been leaving Penzance full, meaning St. Erth has received very little service. We are urgently trying to source additional resources, however this is taking time. Limited road transport has been confirmed, however this is unlikely to arrive at St. Erth until 13:30 at the earliest.
Further Information
An update will follow within the next 2 hours.
Last Updated:10/09/2023 12:44

DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2023, 22:31:26 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) and NR» (Network Rail - home page) are publishing information about the works. This comes from Network Rail...
https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/signal-upgrade-set-to-modernise-cornwalls-railway

...but doesn't mention that the line between Looe and Liskeard will be closed on Monday 20th November for level crossing upgrades (the equipment is, I presume, being installed over the weekend of 11th / 12th November during the blockade for the resignalling works): that is referred to here from GWR.
https://www.gwr.com/travel-information/travel-updates/planned-engineering/cornwall

Other upgrades to level crossings are, I believe, planned for the Plymouth to Gunnislake route but there seems to be no date for these yet.

I noticed today that there has been recent replacement of the signals at the north ends of Plymouth station platforms 4 to 8 and this heralds the start of the upgrades to signalling between Totnes and Plymouth to be done in several overnight closures of which the first will be 25th / 26th September with the work carrying on until early 2024: GWR's engineering works list confirms this and there will then be alterations to services the following morning. See NR news item above.

Dave

DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2023, 22:36:43 »

Another line closure has been listed in Cornwall for Tuesday 27th February to Sunday 10th March 2024. I had heard that the new signalling system was due for commissioning in the first quarter of 2024 so I guess that will be the period when that work will take place.

Dave
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2023, 23:06:55 »

This is around the date that has been indicated to me for installation of the new footbridge at Lostwithiel.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2023, 11:16:17 »

This is around the date that has been indicated to me for installation of the new footbridge at Lostwithiel.
All to be done in one go then by the sound of it: footbridge + signalling.

Dave
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2023, 16:34:32 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0grvrrp

Cornwall signalling uograde is nearly finished. Control from Exeter is schedules to go live from February according to this  good BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) interview.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: