Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:20:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Devon and Cornwall resignalling  (Read 23018 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 14:43:43 »

I still find it hard to understand the logic of a mixture of old mechanical signalling with that of a modern network all controlled from one ROC (Rail Operating Centre - a centralised location for railway signalling and train control operations for a specific route or region). It seems a "pig's ear" of a scheme to me and probably fraught with difficulties.

You need a £100 million computer system, lots of LED lights, a GSM radio system with capability for transmission of telemetry data at high speed, a whistle, a flag and some large bangy things to stick on the rails when it's foggy, so the driver of the £50 million train knows that there's a broken down steam engine ahead.

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 16:24:26 »

And so that the driver of a steam engine knows that there is a broken down £50  million new train ahead !

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2022, 11:50:56 »

This has developed into a thread with two halves hasn’t it? Until sometime in January it was about a future resignalling project due to complete in 2023.  Has work actually started on that?

Then from post 17 onwards it was suddenly all about day to day faults, theft or vandalism.

Are the two subjects actually related at all?  Huh

Paul
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2022, 06:28:33 »

Guilty as charged.
I didn't spot the REsignalling at the time of my first post.

So Mods, please split this into two if possible, perhaps with a title of Cornwall signalling problems? as the thefts have been in Cornwall.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2022, 17:55:06 »

Took a while to respond - but topics now split!
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2022, 18:39:44 »

I note that the list of engineering works due later this year on GWR (Great Western Railway)'s website includes:
- 5th, 6th & 13th November: St. Austell to Penzance
- 19th & 20th November: Lostwithiel to St. Austell
- 05th - 08th December: Truro to Penzance, incl. St. Erth - St. Ives
- 27th - 30th January: Par to Newquay

I presume, without knowing for sure, that the works of November and December will be related to the resignalling in terms of installation of the replacement signals - Sad - but I am not sure when the new setup is due to be commissioned. As for Par to Newquay this could also be for work on the same project to make a few alterations.

Dave
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2022, 08:40:00 »

I saw a notice at Truro station a few days ago saying something about resignalling taking place between September 2022 and ? January 2023 to improve the service.

https://www.railengineer.co.uk/a-modular-approach-to-signalling-in-cornwall/
(Rather off topic, but interesting to read article https://www.lococarriage.org.uk/plykerno.html)

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2022, 21:31:31 »

I saw a notice at Truro station a few days ago saying something about resignalling taking place between September 2022 and ? January 2023 to improve the service.

https://www.railengineer.co.uk/a-modular-approach-to-signalling-in-cornwall/
(Rather off topic, but interesting to read article https://www.lococarriage.org.uk/plykerno.html)
Hence the closure dates in the post above yours. I have been told on another forum that the commissioning of the new system will not take place until November 2023 though which should give me time for a final photo trip at some point. The boxes at Lostwithiel, Par and Truro will be abolished but St. Blazey will remain and Goonbarrow Junction will have its mechanical workings replaced with a new panel. I have also heard that Newquay station will go back to having two platforms as well.

Dave
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2022, 07:39:58 »

I have also heard that Newquay station will go back to having two platforms as well.

Dave

Interesting - that would take a huge amount of work in addition to the signalling, wouldn't it?

Now, please!
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2022, 08:50:50 »

They want an hourly service to Newquay as part of a cross Cornwall metro to Falmouth.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2022, 09:22:17 »

There's definitely a lot planned according to the Rail Engineer article (linked posted by GMB above or below whichever way you have your posts aligned!)
I hope the new passing loop planned on the Goss Moor on the Newquay branch is long enough for an IET (Intercity Express Train)!!

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2022, 01:00:14 »

Interesting - that would take a huge amount of work in addition to the signalling, wouldn't it?
I don't know. This photo from the Wikipedia site - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newquay_railway_station#/media/File:GWR_150234_at_Newquay.jpg - shows the redundant platform on the right, minus track, and I am quite sure that is still there. The requirement would be for new signals as well as track. There are a few closures coming up on the line (19th, 20th & 27th November 2022 + 27th - 30th January 2023) so some work might be done then but who knows. They may even leave it until the middle of next year: I have heard on another forum that the commissioning work for this resignalling scheme will start 1st November 2023 and not finish until the end of the month so I hope to take my camera down there before then.

Dave
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2023, 23:41:47 »

Evening all,

Thought I would bump this topic with a bit of an update. Anyone who uses the trains in Cornwall regularly will probably be aware that the semaphore system remains in place although work has been taking place of late with signs of new cables and signals going in. Earlier this year I heard that the changeover to the new system had been delayed again and was expected for sometime around March 2024.

GWR (Great Western Railway)'s website now lists that engineering works in relation to the scheme are now scheduled for the following dates with bus replacement services as given.

- Sunday 10th September:
Plymouth to Penzance / Par to Newquay / Truro to Falmouth Docks
Trains to run on Gunnislake, St. Ives and Looe lines and also Penzance to St. Erth.

This one is listed as being for "rail improvement work" so maybe some general maintenance also but I suspect some work on the signalling will also be done.

- Tuesday 31st October to Sunday 05th November:
St. Austell and St. Erth; also between Truro and Falmouth Docks.

- Monday 06th November to Sunday 12th November:
06/11 to 10/11: Liskeard to St. Erth; also Newquay and Falmouth Docks lines.
11/11 to 12/11: Plymouth to St. Erth; also Looe, Newquay and Falmouth Docks lines

Those are given as being for the signalling work. The scheme will see the abolition of the signalboxes and semaphores at Lostwithiel, Par and Truro (a shame) but I had heard that the Liskeard signalbox and semaphores were safe. I wonder if the works on the Looe line relate to plans for the Lodge Farm and Terras crossings that would see them converted from open crossings to ABCL (Automatic Barrier Crossing Locally monitored).

Dave
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2023, 15:20:59 »

Thank you Dave for that update.
Don't want to 'like' your post, as that implies I like the removal of semaphore signals (which I don't!).
Shame they are going, along with the characters who staffed the soon to be closed boxes.

That's progress I believe.
We look forward to 'signalling problems' similar to those in the Thames Valley  Roll Eyes

DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2023, 22:31:13 »

Thank you Dave for that update.
Don't want to 'like' your post, as that implies I like the removal of semaphore signals (which I don't!).
Shame they are going, along with the characters who staffed the soon to be closed boxes.
I am not keen on the removal of the semaphores either: even though mechanical signalling can act up a bit in hot weather (as I found out when a trainee signalman for a heritage railway) at least you don't get people pinching the cables! As for the boxes the ones at St. Blazey and Goonbarrow Junction will remain - someone told me on a Facebook group that Goonbarrow Jcn to Newquay will be worked by a panel but the area around Goonbarrow Junction and the line to St. Blazey will remain mechanical. I don't know the truth of that.

I have photos, externally, of the boxes at Par, Truro and Lostwithiel and will be down in Cornwall in a couple of weeks when I hope - without trespassing - to get a photo or two at Goonbarrow Junction. St. Blazey is impossible to snap though.

We look forward to 'signalling problems' similar to those in the Thames Valley  Roll Eyes
TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) won't have a hand in things here. I have heard it suggested, more than once, that Thames Valley SCC(resolve) will not be working anything south of the M5 overbridge at Bridgwater (near J24). Control for Lostwithiel to Truro will pass to a computerised workstation and will be located at Exeter.

Meanwhile I have also seen it mentioned on another forum that the eastern section of Plymouth PSB (Power Signal Box) - Totnes (excl.) to Hemerdon - is due to be resignalled in 2024 and that will be controlled from a new workstation to be housed at Plymouth PSB rather than from the Plymouth panel: among the alterations in connection with the Totnes - Hemerdon work will be the abolition of the loop on the Up Main at Hemerdon. The closest I get to signalling nowadays is playing a certain computer game.

Dave
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 22:43:50 by DaveHarries » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: