I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:39:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Are there too many on train announcements?  (Voting closed: July 03, 2021, 03:54:09)
Yes - there should be less - 24 (85.7%)
There are about the right numbers - 1 (3.6%)
No - there should be more - 0 (0%)
Don't know - not thought about it - 0 (0%)
Doesn't matter to me - 3 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: On train announcements - number to be reduce??  (Read 3305 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2021, 06:50:30 »

Can't say they hugely bother me, I'm usually reading/day dreaming/working (or a combination of all three!).

I think the opinions that really count here are those of the visually impaired who rely on audio, rather than visual guidance.

I'm happy to put up with something that's possibly mildly irritating if it makes their lives easier, and I count my blessings.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 08:02:00 »

1 - Yes - cut the "See it, say it, sorted" type of announcement.
And even more so TfW's awful epic pre-recorded bilingual announcement exhorting people to wash their hands, keep their distance, pay their fares, tuck their shirt in, avoid having their luggage blown up by the British Transport Police, and mind the gap between the train and the platform. If they got Reginald Bosanquet to read it, it might end up in the charts.

I had forgotten about Wales. Perhaps the Welsh version could be set to Cwm Rhondda?

Now, please!
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 09:43:40 »

And even more so TfW's awful epic pre-recorded bilingual announcement exhorting people to wash their hands, keep their distance, pay their fares, tuck their shirt in, avoid having their luggage blown up by the British Transport Police, and mind the gap between the train and the platform. If they got Reginald Bosanquet to read it, it might end up in the charts.

I had forgotten about Wales. Perhaps the Welsh version could be set to Cwm Rhondda?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2021, 10:06:09 »

While we are having a good moan-

I cannot find a voting button for my views, which are-

2 - Yes - if they are automated, get them right! Nearly 20 years of commuting on Turbos with frequent problems including - announcements from the wrong line, announcements one or two stations out, in "reverse" order - often linked to the same problem on the "walking writing" internal signage.

3 - Get the volume right - often they are too quiet (useless - and often the case with announcements by train crew which are often given when things are going wrong and passengers really want to hear them) and just sometimes unbearably loud.

4 - Each station should be announced clearly shortly before arrival.

5 - We should not forget the needs of the visually impaired - so concentrate on telling people where they are and where they are going.

Yes, nos 2 and 3 are particular bugbears of mine.

I really don't understand why so many trains have announcements or even more often screen information that is both wrong and misleading. Often it is one or two stations out, and can easily lead to someone who does not know the area well (or isn't concentrating on looking outside) getting out at the wrong station. One train I recently travelled on had on screen information for a completely different journey displayed for the whole journey, and people would get on, look at the screen, assume they had got on the wrong train and get off again. We (the passengers) had to shout to them that they were on the right train.

I've raised these issues with on-board staff, and they usually haven't noticed themselves and say they can't control them.

Volume of announcements is rarely right. They seem to usually be just too muffled to be able to hear clearly what is being said.

And while it is slightly off-topic, why do large stations like Temple Meads have announcements on different platforms at differing volumes at the same time, so that one drowns out the one you are trying to hear on your platform?
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2021, 21:45:08 »

Cedwch bellter, golchwch ddwylo,
Prynwch docyn, byddwch saff,
Cedwch afael yn eich bagiau
Rhag ffrwydriadau'r camera craff.
Gwyliwch wagle, gwyliwch wagle!
Bob un orsaf i Gaerdydd!
Bob un orsaf i Gaerdydd!

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 11:14:53 »

Very topical! ^^

Now, please!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2021, 15:52:39 »

I suppose it depends how long the travel time between stops is (on a service with lots of stops close together this wouldn't work) but I'd assume you have something like "Welcome aboard, this is the 09:57 service to Fishguard Harbour calling at Port Talbot Parkway, Llanelli, Carmarthen, Whitland, Fishguard & Goodwick and Fishguard Harbour, our next stop is Port Talbot Parkway" just after departure from each scheduled calling station (and, possibly, every 7-10 minutes on a service that is sat in a platform at the origin station waiting for its departure time) plus "we will shortly be arriving at XXX' just before each scheduled station call.

Have this bit OR 'your attention please' - NOT both - if you use 'your attention please' then you can put 'thank you' at the end.
I really don't understand why so many trains have announcements or even more often screen information that is both wrong and misleading. Often it is one or two stations out
Some systems cannot handle request stops; they might start out correct but then a request stop comes along and either the information system assumes the train stops (and nobody wants the stop, so it doesn't stop) or it assumes the train doesn't stop (and somebody requests it, so it stops) and gets either one stop ahead or one stop behind. I'm guessing those systems are linked to the door controls so that, if the door opens, it advances to whatever it's database says the next stop should be.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2021, 18:13:20 »

I don't see why you need announcements when the train starts moving from a station stop. The folks on the train have been told many times where the stops are. The new folks boarding have been bombarded with both visual displays and oral announcements when waiting for the train. Many modern trains also have the destination and next calling point outside the train near the doors. Possibly all that is needed is the next station stop is ***.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2021, 07:35:14 »

Poll closed:

Are there too many on train announcements?
Yes - there should be less   - 24 (85.7%)
There are about the right numbers   - 1 (3.6%)
No - there should be more   - 0 (0%)
Don't know - not thought about it   - 0 (0%)
Doesn't matter to me   - 3 (10.7%)

Apart from confirmatory votes (such as in support of our constitution) I don't think I have ever seen such a strong result one way or other here, and with only a few "don't care" votes too.

A strong message to thems who decides on announcements that they are irritating the bajebas off their regulars, though they do have to balance the reduction in announcements with the risks involved with not informing occasional travellers - who are unlikely to be voters here, that they must mind the gap between the train and the platform, take all their possessions with them on leaving the train, and tell someone if they see something suspicious.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: