I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:54:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Will YOU wear a mask when using public transport after 19th July?  (Voting closed: July 10, 2021, 05:18:27)
Yes - all of the time - 5 (11.1%)
Yes - most of the time - 11 (24.4%)
Only in limited busy / enclosed areas - 21 (46.7%)
No, I will not wear a mask - 6 (13.3%)
I will not be using public transport - 2 (4.4%)
I am not yet decided - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 45

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Mask wearing on and after 19th July - your personal choice  (Read 10526 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 06, 2021, 05:18:27 »

A decision on whether or not to wear masks on public transport and elsewhere is to be thrown back to YOU - the travelling public - from the middle of this month.  As a forum of public transport users, what will you do?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 06:37:49 »

I've said most of the time - I won't when there are myself and 6 others stretched along the full length of the platform at Taplow station at 0630 in the morning but I will when on the train and definitely on the Tube.

I've had COVID (thankfully mildly) so I know how it feels, and am double jabbed, genuinely can't understand the mentality of those turning down the vaccination but hey-ho, takes all sorts.

I am also aware that there are a lot of very nervous/vulnerable people out there and as Chris Whitty suggested, it's a courtesy to them, masks are primarily about protecting others.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 07:32:55 »

I agree with Taplow Green. On my very rare rail trips during the last 15 months, I've never thought it vital that masks be worn by a handful of passengers on an open-air platform (though I've always done so) but believe that a mask is essential (and should continue to be mandatory) inside a carriage.

I shall continue to wear a mask inside most stores, though were I to have forgotten to take one I would go in unless the place was busy.

froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 07:53:29 »

I've also said most of the time, and agree with all that TG wrote. Masks are there to protect others, and one thing I've learnt from the pandemic is how vulnerable to diseases we are in crowded indoor public spaces. I am vulnerable to respiratory problems, and know how miserable life can be when you go down with cold after cold, not to mention more serious flus, which I have during many winters. Finding yourself sat close to someone who is repeatedly coughing and spluttering is not something I look forward to (and have already had to face in the longest train journey I've already made this year - and came down with a cold from it).

I think in quiet outdoor situations, such as uncrowded platforms, there is very little if any risk, and passengers have already voted with their mouths, so to speak. Indeed, when there is fresh air flowing around, stifling that air movement with a mask has always seemed to me a foolish action.

In carriages where there are very few others, I've always stuck to wearing a mask, but have felt it was probably unnecessary, and may choose not to now. But in any other situation in a train, the mask is staying on for the time being.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 09:50:22 »

No, I will not wear a mask...except where it is mandated by the 'competent authority'! I convinced myself a long time ago that when the legal requirement was dropped by the government, as was bound to happen eventually, other 'authorities' would pick up the baton. Last night the boss of USDAW said on GBNews that ending lockdown was a really bad idea; queue a fight between the union and retail management with only one winner. Unite have essentially delivered the same message. I will be amazed if the same thing does not happen on public transport with the usual threat of 'industrial action' by the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers).

I have had both Covid inoculations and am comfortable with the data which says I have a high level of resistance to the virus and a fairly low risk of infecting others if I do get it. I also believe that there is almost no data proving the efficacy of cloth / paper masks where the Covid virus is concerned.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 11:18:37 »

I will wear one when I think it's necessary.

I worry more about my kids - they are 15 and so of course haven't had the jab (or the virus - yet!). For many young people, COVID is pretty bad but they get over it fairly quickly. I'm just not sure anyone knows what the longer term effects might be. I think they'll keep wearing masks too!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 11:25:28 »

I wont be wearing a mask. A double jabbed oldie  like me has little to fear, and incidentally the risk of  disease for an unjabbed 18 year is very low.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 11:32:36 »

Easyjet and Ryanair are saying they will make the wearing of masks from 19th July a condition of carriage.  I wonder if any rail operators will?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 13:41:45 »

I agree with Taplow Green. On my very rare rail trips during the last 15 months, I've never thought it vital that masks be worn by a handful of passengers on an open-air platform (though I've always done so) but believe that a mask is essential (and should continue to be mandatory) inside a carriage.

I shall continue to wear a mask inside most stores, though were I to have forgotten to take one I would go in unless the place was busy.

I thought mask wearing was mandatory anywhere on the station, but it seems I was wrong. According to the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) on the NRE(resolve) website:

Face coverings are mandatory on board the train and in all enclosed areas of railway stations, from when you enter a station, throughout your journey and exiting the station at the other end.

My italics. What qualifies as 'enclosed' could be a moot point - under a canopy is pretty well-ventilated, but within a waiting shelter may not be.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 13:53:54 »

Perhaps the word "enclosed" was a late addition to the early regulations? Last year there were signs at Tilehurst to the effect that masks should be worn "at this station" and I recall feeling guilty when I went through the gates at Reading with my mask around my neck (I quickly pulled it up over my mouth and nose.)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 14:28:58 »

Perhaps the word "enclosed" was a late addition to the early regulations? Last year there were signs at Tilehurst to the effect that masks should be worn "at this station" and I recall feeling guilty when I went through the gates at Reading with my mask around my neck (I quickly pulled it up over my mouth and nose.)

When I was last there - over the weekend ( see http://grahamellis.uk/blog185.html ) - there's still a sign telling you that a mask must be worn on Melksham Station and threatening a £6400 (I think it is) fine if you don't.   There's also a rumour in these parts that an energy drink can planted in the station friend's flowerbed will grow ....

« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 17:33:39 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 19:06:06 »

My italics. What qualifies as 'enclosed' could be a moot point - under a canopy is pretty well-ventilated, but within a waiting shelter may not be.

I suppose a reasonable definition would be akin to the requirements for smoking shelters outside places of work. They mist not be substantially enclosed, taken to mean at least 50 per cent open (the floor doesn't count). A station platform with canopy would fit that criterion, although thankfully smoking is verboten by other regulations.

We visited Japan in April 2019. I bought a half-dozen packs of the not quite universally worn masks in a Tokyo supermarket for a couple of quid or so, as a novelty /joke souvenir for the kids. I still had some left when I suddenly needed them. I'm double jabbed now, but vulnerable to serious lung problems, and I won't be taking unnecessary chances. I'll wear one in the shops or on the train for other folks' reassurance as much as my own, and shall quietly avoid anyone proclaiming loudly that they are free of the tyranny of the mask and free to decide on vaccination, because they might not be free of the virus. I've waited a long time for my state pension, and I don't want to fall in the last few months before I get it. I shall continue into the shop if I've forgotten to bring one, like Matlburian, although for work, I have a box in the car.

As for relying on the common sense of the British people, I remember the headline on a newspaper (not mine) proudly boasting "I stuck NINE creme eggs up my bum". I bet he wrapped them back up afterwards.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 19:18:49 »

I suppose a reasonable definition would be akin to the requirements for smoking shelters outside places of work. They mist not be substantially enclosed, taken to mean at least 50 per cent open (the floor doesn't count). A station platform with canopy would fit that criterion, although thankfully smoking is verboten by other regulations.

I got involved in the smoking requirements when running a hotel - the rule was "over 50% of the walls open" and enforcement was interesting as many of our guests were from other countries which had different rules and standards; guests typically lovely and very bright people though, which made it much easier.   But I digress ... I think I read somewhere that the same "enclosed" definition does apply. 

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2021, 21:13:51 »

So what are travel providers going to do?  From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

While, for example, some airlines have confirmed face masks will still be compulsory after 19 July, shops, pubs and hairdressers are altering policies.

for trains and buses ...

Industry body the Rail Delivery Group, which represents train companies, says that travelling by train is "low risk" and "any decision to leave public transport behind other parts of the economy would need to be based on the science".

It says trains are "well ventilated with air regularly refreshed either by air conditioning systems, or by doors and windows being opened".

The group adds, though, that wearing a mask can help protect other rail users.

However, the Unite union has said that dropping mask-wearing on public transport would be "gross negligence".

Unite's national officer for passenger transport, Bobby Morton, pointed to the number of deaths from Covid among bus drivers.

"Rates of infection are continuing to increase and not only does mask wearing reduce transmissions, it helps provide reassurance to drivers and to passengers who are nervous about using public transport."

It goes seem that the rail industry follows government direction and suggestion much more closely (less independently) than airlines, shops, and other services.   And with the government switching from "really important to wear masks" to "it's up to you", has the rail delivery group flipped too.

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2021, 22:20:52 »

It goes seem that the rail industry follows government direction and suggestion much more closely (less independently) than airlines, shops, and other services.   And with the government switching from "really important to wear masks" to "it's up to you", has the rail delivery group flipped too.

As the old saying goes - "he who pays the piper calls the tune"......
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: