Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:20 Swansea to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:05 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:52:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: UK government's Transport decarbonisation plan  (Read 20154 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2021, 21:09:05 »

Most maize grown in Europe, if it doesn't go to bioethanol, goes to feed livestock. In the USA, it it doesn't go feed livestock, it mostly goes to produce "high fructose corn syrup", a very cheap way of making processed foods sweet without having to print "sugar" in the ingredients. Very little goes to feed humans directly as corn on the cob or tins of sweetcorn.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2021, 11:45:21 »

I support renewable energy provided that this is not in competition with food crops. My feelings may be summarised as follows.

Solar on new or existing buildings--------------In favour.
Solar farms in the open--------------------------In favour with reservations due to land taken up.
Wind, onshore or off------------------------------In favour.
Tidal power----------------------------------------in favour.
Bio ethanol----------------------------------------Opposed, except* on a small scale in exceptional circumstances
Bio Diesel------------------------------------------Opposed, as above.
Imported wood chips-----------------------------Opposed, de-forestation, fuel used in transport.
Locally harvested logs----------------------------In favour.
Burning waste wood for fuel----------------------In favour if not imported.
Hydroelectric power-------------------------------In favour, but note limited scope for expansion.
Wave power----------------------------------------Maybe, but has been the "next big thing" for decades.
Methane from anaerobic digestion----------------Yes but only if the inputs are truly waste.

*Bio fuels may be justified on a small scale for agriculture and other vital uses, can compare well with growing oats to feed horses. Not for general flying and driving. Bio ethanol is a useful fuel for small scale uses in emergencies or whilst camping etc.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2021, 13:04:11 »

I was wondering about solar on roads ... https://ecavo.com/solar-roads/

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2021, 15:39:49 »

Very silly idea IMHO (in my humble opinion). Making PV modules able to withstand the very frequent cyclic loading of vehicles is no doubt possible, but it sounds expensive and unreliable. Consider not just normal vehicles but the odd exceptional load.
This sounds like the sort of thing that HMG like "GREEN INNOVATION"
Many more sensible alternatives exist, including PV modules along the central reservation, PV modules atop motorway service stations, and roofing the parking areas with PV. All readily achievable with today's off the shelf technology, no research needed, just get on and do it.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2021, 16:18:26 »

As a slight aside (presumably there isn't really much prospect of barges having a very big future outside of leisure!) I found this YouTube video interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5jsb72nCRE

There are obvious advantages to electrifying barges, as anyone who has been in the bottom of a lock filled with diesel fumes could attest. Noise is another obvious issue; it seems odd to head off down the cut for a bit of peace and quiet using a puttering engine.

As with all these things, there are choices: parallel hybrids, serial hybrids and pure electrics, for example, and a variety of battery technologies. What struck me as particularly intriguing was that if you cover the top of an 18m barge with solar panels, they should produce about 3kw on a good day - which is just about right to keep the barge motoring along. On a bad day, you might only get a third of that, but you probably won't be motoring all day and you'll be charging your battery when you moor up. Heavy batteries are neither here nor there in a vehicle which travels at a brisk walking pace.

I think it is likely that electric barges will become very popular quite quickly.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2021, 16:39:30 »

I agree that battery powered barges have a future, mainly for leisure.
A battery large enough to propel the barge can also supply domestic power for lighting, cooking, and perhaps limited heating. This would replace the fossil fuels used for these purposes.

If PV charging was found inadequate, then charging from a shore supply is possible at some moorings.

3 KW sounds excessive for a barge. They used to use a horse, which has an output of a bit less* than one horsepower* One horsepower is about 750 watts mechanical output from a motor, or about 900 watts electrical input after allowing for losses in the motor and drive circuit.

*The original definition of the horsepower involved an actual horse, but perhaps it was an unusually large and strong example.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2021, 17:01:45 »

As a slight aside (presumably there isn't really much prospect of barges having a very big future outside of leisure!)...
Go tell them on the Rhein!

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2021, 18:03:54 »

I saw a suggestion in Another Place some months ago that motorways should have wind turbines along the central reservation. After watching a number of enthusiastic supporting comments build up, I pointed out that a) bits fall off regularly b) they would be very distracting c) the motorway would have to be closed for several months to install them, then at regular intervals thereafter for maintenance. That remains the last comment on the subject. Solar obviously went a bit further, with actual solar roads built, but doesn't seem to have fared much better. I did, however, see a solar railway in Japan. Riding from the centre of Tokyo to Narita airport on the Metro, we passed mile after mile of solar panels. I found later that when a new northerly line to the airport had been built, the boffins decided that there was no need for four track now, and replaced two tracks with solar panels.

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2021, 18:13:13 »

As a slight aside (presumably there isn't really much prospect of barges having a very big future outside of leisure!) I found this YouTube video interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5jsb72nCRE

Was that meant to be counterflow thread drift? Because Decarbonising Transport etc. does contain this as an atomic commitment:
We will support and encourage modal shift of freight from road to more sustainable alternatives, such as rail, cargo bike and inland waterways

The support for that in the main text says (P 139):
The Mode Shift Revenue Support151 and Waterborne Freight Grant Schemes152 which will continue to incentivise modal shift and help to remove around 900,000 HGV loads off the road each year.153
151 DfT» (Department for Transport - about) (2020). Mode Shift Revenue Support (MSRS) grant scheme 2020 to 2025 (online). Available at:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mode-shift-revenue-support-msrs-grant-scheme [this is for shifts to rail or canals]
152 DfT (2020). Waterborne Freight Grant Scheme 2020 to2025 (online). Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/waterborne-freight-grant-scheme [this is mainly for coastal shipping]
153 DfT (n.d.). Internal DfT analysis

Incidentally, why do they (whoever they are ) keep pushing Modal as a suitable fibre for shifts? I've found it suffers badly from pilling. (Note: not Pilning. Or piling.)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2021, 19:26:11 »

I'd missed the bit about inland waterways in the report. But I don't suppose they mean narrow boar canals, surely?

Not sure about modal fibre. A bit of moral fibre might help us in these difficult times...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2021, 20:15:45 »

Not sure about modal fibre. A bit of moral fibre might help us in these difficult times...

Too many people quite happy to preach and talk the talk but not walk the walk, I find on that front, particularly over the past year or so.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2021, 20:26:14 »

I'd missed the bit about inland waterways in the report. But I don't suppose they mean narrow boar canals, surely?
I don't think they would get much use: there are very few skinny pigs.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2021, 21:46:33 »

I don't think they would get much use: there are very few skinny pigs.

A good point. I must research these things better in future.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2021, 22:45:34 »

Well, most inland waterways are narrow in important places - like locks. The wide bits, like rivers, don't go very far on one level.

But what this MSRS scheme involves is HMG offering money, and sitting around waiting for applications to come in. So they don't need to have a clue whether it makes sense, other people will work that out for them. It started in February 2020, and I can't see any data about how many grants have been approved. I'd guess not a lot - it's tempting to guess none, but in this funny old world there's bound to be a couple of things it could work for.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2021, 08:08:25 »

Well, most inland waterways are narrow in important places - like locks. The wide bits, like rivers, don't go very far on one level.

Some narrower than others.

There are also some wider waterways such as the Aire and Calder Navigation and the Manchester Shop Canal.  The Thames in London might also be useful. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: