Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:04:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[70] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[24] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The cost of a lack of connections at Didcot to / from Oxford  (Read 24206 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 16, 2021, 12:17:35 »

Inspired by a post elsewhere on the forum ...

There are significant passenger flows from Swindon and west thereof to Oxford, with passengers who are able to change at Didcot able to travel on a "not via Reading" ticket, and those who find that connections at Didcot don't work having to go via Reading and pay considerably more.  This has always struck me as a bit unfair, with the rail industry not providing appropriate connections by the sortest route and then charging its customers for their failure to provide.

Taking a personal example - day trip Melksham to Oxford. If I change at Didcot:
£56.80 - anytime day return
£18.00 - off peak day return

If I have to travel via Reading (I would not mind a "no break of journey" contition:
£119.20 - anytime return
£68.70 - off peak return
£52.20 - super off peak return

There is a significant flow of people between Swindon and Oxford, and I have to wonder if a tardiness in providing decent connections every 30 minutes and/or sensible fares for people who have to (but don't really want to) travel up and down to Reading might in some small degree be a business decision - "Two customers at £52.20 are better than five at £18.00" stuff.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 12:23:33 »

P.S. Made the worse for groups ... with Groupsave being available on just about all "Change at Didcot" schedules, and only on some of the "Change at Reading" options due to the difference in conditions / availability of these tickets on GW (Great Western) and XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)).

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 16:12:49 »

The oddity is that these days per hour there are more buses that go between Didcot Parkway and Oxford Rail Station than trains (3 rather than 2). Plus another two that take a different route to Oxford City Centre and then to Headington and the JR Hospital. All rather slower of course but some maybe nearer to some people's final destination.

The bus company does though include trains in its journey planner  Grin

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 16:47:17 »

The bus company does though include trains in its journey planner

1. Does the train company included buses in its journey planner?

2. Are train and bus tickets interchangeable?

3. If not, why not?

I think the answers to 1. and 2. will be guessable and easy.   The answer to 3 much harder to explain!

Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 16:54:32 »

I would say this is down to the London centric nature of the railway. Can the electric stopping trains not be extended to Swindon to provide a more often connection? This would provide the opportunity to get rid of the huge jump in fares between didcot and Swindon, a leftover from intercity only trains I guess.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 16:52:22 »

This is all down to the Didcot shuffle and the fare climb because of the historic Network SouthEast - and GWRs (Great Western Railway) wish to try & kill off the shuffle.

Come the new May23 timetable, it will get harder still, with only three trains an hour from the West/Swindon stopping at Didcot - and all of those within 20 mins, so will all end up on the same hourly shuttle from Didcot too (unless they break their journey)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 18:15:52 »

East West Rail could, and should IMHO (in my humble opinion), be the answer there.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 19:44:21 »

The current public details of services for the May are down to only two to/from west of Didcot within 10 minutes each hour.

This not only degrades train connections but also the interchange with buses at the station which various parties have developed over the last few years into arguably the centre of public transport in Southern Oxfordshire. These presently run at typical frequencies of 2-4 times an hour to surrounding towns and villages as well as industrial and technology centres. Some are developer supported but most are commercial.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 21:06:37 »

The current public details of services for the May are down to only two to/from west of Didcot within 10 minutes each hour.

Does that also mean that "Reading and London Only" services from Didcot are also way on down?

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 21:31:38 »

One of the Oxford<>Paddington services is stopping additionally, but, especially towards London, the spacing isn’t great.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 08:31:49 »

Yes - 3 within about 15 minutes then none for three quarters of an hour which is the worst spacing for almost 20 years. I don't know why it isn't possible to stop the other Bristol train in the hour instead to spread them out but I can only guess that there has to be a good reason.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 08:40:40 »

Yes - 3 within about 15 minutes then none for three quarters of an hour which is the worst spacing for almost 20 years. I don't know why it isn't possible to stop the other Bristol train in the hour instead to spread them out but I can only guess that there has to be a good reason.

Making split ticketing less attractive?  Encouraging passengers from the west to Oxford to go via Reading at a higher fare?

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2023, 14:13:11 »

The former, I would suggest.

I agree with moving the stop on the Bristol TM(resolve) services to the other service each hour.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2023, 19:51:43 »

I agree with moving the stop on the Bristol TM(resolve) services to the other service each hour.
GWR (Great Western Railway) must have a reason for choosing one over the other even to the detriment of providing Didcot Parkway with a more balanced service. Pathing possibly?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: