Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:17:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mask wearing rules & advice, Thames Valley & South West England from 19.7.2021  (Read 7308 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2021, 19:12:32 »

Can’t say I’ve noticed any real change in compliance on GWR (Great Western Railway) trains today against last week.  Perhaps over time fewer face coverings will be worn, but as yet there’s little evidence of a change since it has gone from ‘law’ to ‘recommendation’.

Good to hear & good to see people acting responsibly. Let's hope it stays that way.

Yes. 

I'm interested to hear what others think based on their public transport journeys this week?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2021, 19:21:43 »

Can’t say I’ve noticed any real change in compliance on GWR (Great Western Railway) trains today against last week.  Perhaps over time fewer face coverings will be worn, but as yet there’s little evidence of a change since it has gone from ‘law’ to ‘recommendation’.

Good to hear & good to see people acting responsibly. Let's hope it stays that way.

Yes. 

I'm interested to hear what others think based on their public transport journeys this week?

Just a short return bus journey into town today. Almost everyone wearing masks, apart from one teenage girl, who just after the bus started, shouted at her friend next to her "Take your mask off, it is making me sweat". Not sure of the logic there, but I was pleased that her friend didn't take hers off.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2021, 08:56:44 »

I drove into Reading yesterday to drop a car off for servicing.  Came back on the local bus to Pangbourne: all 5 of us wore masks. 

Went back into Reading on 1422 train (8 coach, air conditioned of course) from Pangbourne.  About 8 people on the platform, none wearing masks. I hopped in the second coach: there was one other person already there, not wearing a mask, and I sat down well away from him and didn’t either. 

I hopped off at Tilehurst and walked down to the Reading Bus 16 bus stop.  Everyone on the bus wore masks, including me, except one teenage girl who got on later shouting into her mobile phone.

So, allowing people to make their own judgements seems eminently sensible.  I doubt any “rules” would have had any impact on the teenage girl.

Can any compulsory mask advocates explain the logic of anything different?   
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2021, 14:00:16 »

I have also had my first "post freedom day"  Huh public transport experience today.

I travelled back from Milton Gate to Didcot Parkway by bus, then train to Didcot.

On the bus, the only person not wearing a mask was a driver, although it was quite lightly loaded. At Didcot almost all were wearing masks, the same for those boarding at Cholsey. At Goring there were 4 out of the dozen or so joining without masks, one of whom was wearing an exemption card and lanyard. The non-wearers were a young chap who I'd guess was a worker in the building trade from his overalls and what he was carrying, a girl (late teens?) and a woman in her 20s or 30s carrying a suitcase onto the train - no "yob element" discernable!

Tomorrow I have to go to London for the first time since before lockdown.....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 14:57:55 »

Tomorrow I have to go to London for the first time since before lockdown.....

You’ll barely recognise it!  Quiet trains, quiet streets…quiet everything.  Well, until mid-morning anyway.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2021, 21:38:33 »

.....and on today's expedition to London.....

I took a stopping train to Reading, changed to an IET (Intercity Express Train) from Cheltenham for Paddington then Circle/Hammersmith & City to Faringdon - same in reverse home leaving after 6 pm (the IET being Swansea bound).

On stations, most were not wearing masks at Goring but duly donned them on boarding the trains. My onward train to Paddington had quite a high (but not universal) proportion of passengers complying. As neither train was crowded (perhaps 20-25% occupancy on the IET) it did not feel threatening.

Similar proportions complying on the return GWR (Great Western Railway) legs of my journey, the IET being somewhat fuller, but not quite 50%, so everyone could distribute themselves in accordance with guidance about not facing, and only twos travelling together side by side.

On TfL» (Transport for London - about) surprisingly considering the publicity in the press and notices on trains and stations the mask wearing was no higher on either trains or platforms. Insofar as there was any pattern, there seemed a slightly higher proportion of the "holiday maker with suitcase" type passenger not using masks. There were quite a few who still have not got he message about mouths and noses to be covered - and not all were confused elderly folk, which seems the case elsewhere. On the tube there were a few healthy looking young men without masks sitting conspicuously on the middle seat of three with no face covering - is it just a way of increasing their personal space? The other common factor was some using mobile devices with earphones, usually with masks around necks/beside them or in hands, as if using their devices was equivalent to eating justifying taking the mask off.

I saw no hostile reactions either way (in favour of or against masks).

Oh, I can reassure GWR 158 that the aircon on all GWR trains was working fine!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 21:44:44 by eightonedee » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2021, 22:48:30 »

Thanks for that report…it pretty much mirrors my experiences.

London is certainly getting busier during the day.  I was at Victoria trying to get to Paddington.  Usual route is Victoria Line to Oxford Circus then cross platform change to the Bakerloo, but two trains arrived and departed pretty much packed to the rafters, so I baulked at the prospect and got a Circle Line train instead which was still busy but much better.

On the tubes I noticed about 75% complying with mask rules, about 10% not wearing them properly, and about 15% either exempt or not complying.  Probably about the same as a typical mainline train.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: