05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
09:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 09:14:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing (or not) place names on bus routes  (Read 3434 times)
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2021, 18:02:26 »

Split off from http://www.passenger.chat/25230 - grahame

As an aside, why is the explanation for "XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))" styled as "(Cross Country franchise trains (now run by Arriva))"?

Why not simply "(CrossCountry Trains)" seeing as that's their name?

"Cross Country franchise trains" is pretty poor grammar.

Also "now run by Arriva" implies this is a new development. Arriva have run the franchise since 2007. So why the "now"?!

It bugs me every time I see it.

It is as annoying as the road sign that states 'New Roal Layout' that has been up for so long the paint is peeling off.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 02:09:41 by grahame » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 22:16:08 »

As an aside, why is the explanation for "XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))" styled as "(Cross Country franchise trains (now run by Arriva))"?

As others have suggested, "New Road" syndrome.   Here in Melksham, the New Inn has closed down recently and is boarded up ...

I will jump in and put a lick of paint on that expansion.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 22:41:26 »

As others have suggested, "New Road" syndrome.   Here in Melksham, the New Inn has closed down recently and is boarded up ...

Please dont tell me that's the New Inn in Berryfield. I will have to rewrite some of our bus timetable proposals...

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 22:48:55 »

Please dont tell me that's the New Inn in Berryfield. I will have to rewrite some of our bus timetable proposals...

Why? Most bus operators have a few stops named after pubs that closed - or changed their names - or were demolished - more than twenty years ago.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 22:52:13 »

Why? Most bus operators have a few stops named after pubs that closed - or changed their names - or were demolished - more than twenty years ago.

I know - To be honest that was more aimed in jest at grahame in reference to the many Berryfield related bus service shenanigans we've had  Grin

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 23:20:15 »

I know - To be honest that was more aimed in jest at grahame in reference to the many Berryfield related bus service shenanigans we've had  Grin

Yeah, I got it.   I think the Frome folks have a few such stops in their town. And certain stops I wonder - "Stone Wharf" at Bathford.

Options at Berryfield:
1. Rename the Stop.
2. Get someone to buy the place and re-open it
3. Live with it as a piece of history.

I fancy option 2 ... the Wilts and Berks canal will be opening past here in a handful of years at it will make a lovely waterside pub. Housing around too will pay for the canal and bring all year local customer.  No other waterside pub for quite a distance ... "New Cut Inn"

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 03:25:02 »

For some years after we moved to Bath, our local bus service had its destination on the front of the bus as Kingsway Post Office. Not only did this post office not exist, and hadn't done so for some years before we moved there, but the building it had been in was just a private house that nobody would have guessed had ever been a post office just from looking at it.
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 08:22:26 »

Pretty much totally unrelated to the thread - but anyway, a little tale. When i started work for a big company based in London in the early 70s, anything that could not be found was always said to be 'probably in storage above the ABC shop in Mornington Crescent'. One day a colleague and I set off to investigate the archives. The address of the one-time shop in Mornington Crescent was a WW2 bomb site still being used as a NCP carpark. Provided an answer to no end of questions over the next 35 years that I worked there.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 16:06:51 »

The nearest bus stop to where I am presently visiting in Leicester is still referred to by many locals as 'the tram terminus'. A tram last ran there in 1947.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 18:57:07 »

Both Turnham’s Farm and the no longer used Sheraton Park bus destinations in Reading, were names simply used by the bus company and not what the places were ever referred to by those that lived there. Turnham’s farm is the name of a recreation ground which the 33 route that started in the late 70’s never reached until some point in the last decade.

To Reading Transport staff, THE terminus is the former trolley terminus at Northumberland avenue, a road generally referred to as ‘the avenue’.

The 17 route is still called the mainline, a reference to its tram and trolley days.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 19:57:10 »

Both Turnham’s Farm and the no longer used Sheraton Park bus destinations in Reading, were names simply used by the bus company and not what the places were ever referred to by those that lived there. Turnham’s farm is the name of a recreation ground which the 33 route that started in the late 70’s never reached until some point in the last decade.

Young man - some of us are old enough to rememeber Turnham's Farm at the junction of City Road and Little Heath Road! I think it was developed in the early 1970s. I cannot remember if buses started before the farm was developed (I'll take RG's word for it!) and the housing estate that was built was I think known as the Turnham Farm estate in its early days.
bradbrka
Transport Student

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 22:53:42 »

Young man - some of us are old enough to rememeber Turnham's Farm at the junction of City Road and Little Heath Road! I think it was developed in the early 1970s. I cannot remember if buses started before the farm was developed (I'll take RG's word for it!) and the housing estate that was built was I think known as the Turnham Farm estate in its early days.

The Turnhams's farm buildings were at the junction of City Road and Little Heath Road. Its lands extended behind the cottages along both sides of City Road from the Fox and Hounds to the west side of Little Heath Road were the recreation ground can now be found. The farm was developed over a number of years and the bus service started part way through. I lived in City road as a child and watched the farm building being demolished.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 23:17:26 »

The Turnhams's farm buildings were at the junction of City Road and Little Heath Road. Its lands extended behind the cottages along both sides of City Road from the Fox and Hounds to the west side of Little Heath Road were the recreation ground can now be found. The farm was developed over a number of years and the bus service started part way through. I lived in City road as a child and watched the farm building being demolished.

Looking at newspapers, the name Turnham's (or Turnham) Farm is absent in the late 1960s when the sale of the farm and developers' first proposals must have happened. I think the land was split so each developer chose a more local name. But once Wimpey were selling houses in 1970 they were using the name, and it was adopted by the new residents, probably preferring it to a more fanciful developer's name that no-one else had heard of.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 07:29:03 »

The Turnham’s Farm house is still there at the junction of City and Little Heath road. The original 33 terminus was short of this using Barton Road as a u-turn, without any stops on it. I grew up in this area and nobody referred to it as Turnham’s Farm. Only the Rec was called that. The route was one of the first Coporation routes to leave the borough, with the original intention being that the estate at the top, the Bird’s estate and the estate around Hilden’s drive (which is half in and out) becoming part of the borough eventually. This never happened

As far as name changes of stops are concerned, I like the history involved as to finding out why particular stops have particular names. It’s a nice historical nod, like underground stations named after pubs in London.
bradbrka
Transport Student

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 09:18:22 »

The Turnham’s Farm house is still there at the junction of City and Little Heath road. The original 33 terminus was short of this using Barton Road as a u-turn, without any stops on it. I grew up in this area and nobody referred to it as Turnham’s Farm. Only the Rec was called that. The route was one of the first Coporation routes to leave the borough, with the original intention being that the estate at the top, the Bird’s estate and the estate around Hilden’s drive (which is half in and out) becoming part of the borough eventually. This never happened

As far as name changes of stops are concerned, I like the history involved as to finding out why particular stops have particular names. It’s a nice historical nod, like underground stations named after pubs in London.

The house still standing was not the farm house, it was "The White House". Another example of places or buildings changing names.

When the 33 service first started it was run with a crewed bus and was reversed into Bitterne Avenue to return back into Reading, Barton Road was still a building site at the time. When the service changed to single manned vehicles it was able to use Barton road to return.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: