Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:25:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes to the Highway Code  (Read 5682 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 30, 2021, 16:46:34 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58021450

New changes to the Highway Code will give pedestrians greater priority over cars at junctions and crossings, the transport secretary has announced.

Under the current code, motorists only have to give way when pedestrians step onto a crossing.

The new code will also ensure cyclists have priority when travelling straight ahead at junctions.

And a "hierarchy of road users" puts more responsibility for road safety on more dangerous modes of transport.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 16:51:35 »

Be interesting to see how much gets legislated for & how much is purely 'guidance' - which most currently is.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 16:53:28 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58021450

New changes to the Highway Code will give pedestrians greater priority over cars at junctions and crossings, the transport secretary has announced.

Under the current code, motorists only have to give way when pedestrians step onto a crossing.

The new code will also ensure cyclists have priority when travelling straight ahead at junctions.

And a "hierarchy of road users" puts more responsibility for road safety on more dangerous modes of transport.

I've already seen this creating the predictable rhetoric from both sides elsewhere.

I genuinely think it would be impossible to find two groups who empathise, or even attempt to empathise with each other less than motorists and cyclists.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 17:05:59 »

I genuinely think it would be impossible to find two groups who empathise, or even attempt to empathise with each other less than motorists and cyclists.

Highway engineers and people who want to retain the fields behind their houses?   http://melksh.am/bypass

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 17:27:17 »

For those who want the detail, DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have obviously cleared out their backlog

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/review-of-the-highway-code-to-improve-road-safety-for-cyclists-pedestrians-and-horse-riders
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sharing-our-roads-safely
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cycle-city-ambition-programme-2013-to-2018-review
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/increasing-uptake-of-cycling-following-covid-19-travel-disruption
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/active-travel-schemes-supported-by-government-funding
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/gear-change-one-year-on-review
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-attitudes-towards-traffic-and-road-use

plus what looks like a major update of TAG.

Probably best left to more warm nights when you can't sleep.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 18:21:13 »

I consider these changes to be a forward step, probably a rather small step, but every little helps.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 08:56:25 »

A very interesting angle from Forbes ...

The hierarchy places pedestrians at the top and the heaviest and potentially most lethal road users at the bottom.

The hierarchy would be:
* Pedestrians
* Cyclists
* Horse riders
* Motorcyclists
* Cars/taxis
* Vans/minibusses
* Large passenger vehicles/heavy goods vehicles

A DfT» (Department for Transport - about) statement said "car drivers will be responsible for ensuring cyclists are safe, while cyclists will be responsible for looking out for pedestrians."

The hierarchy, added the DfT, “does not remove the need for all road users to behave responsibly.”

I find myself concerned if this is truly a hierarchy of priority - it calls for cars to have priority over buses, for example. I can just imagine the effect on performance of a bus having to wait for a gap in a stream of car traffic to pull out. As a hierarchy of responsibility, it makes more sense.

Where do unpowered (and rental powered) scooters fit in?

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 09:39:33 »

I find myself concerned if this is truly a hierarchy of priority - it calls for cars to have priority over buses, for example. I can just imagine the effect on performance of a bus having to wait for a gap in a stream of car traffic to pull out. As a hierarchy of responsibility, it makes more sense.

I guess the "Please let the bus pull out" stickers on the back of buses will have to be removed then, if they still exist!  Cry
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 09:49:38 »

I guess the "Please let the bus pull out" stickers on the back of buses will have to be removed then, if they still exist!  Cry

They do!

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 13:09:30 »

Sloppy writing. I think it concerns a mooted introduction of some sort of presumed liability system, which is really for insurance purposes rather than a legal principle. The onus of responsibility will be on the operator of the "lower priority" vehicle to prove that the operator of a "higher priority" vehicle was at fault.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2021, 13:14:51 »

There's been a lot of misleading phrases used in connection with these announcements. One was that "vehicles going straight on would always have priority", implying radical and complicated changes to junction procedures. In fact it refers to the specific case of turning into. but not out of, a side road; the idea is to let pedestrians wanting to cross the road, as well as cyclists going straight on, do so with precedence over the vehicle turning into the side road.

These phrases have appeared in many different places, so it would seem the confusion arises with DfT» (Department for Transport - about) not journalists. Perhaps it's time we stopped using the word "priority" in traffic situations and adopted more specific words.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 16:12:35 »

My view is that powered scooters should be encouraged in view of the minimal energy use and little road space occupied. They are no worse than electrically assisted cycles and should be treated similarly.

Unlikely to happen though. What is much more likely is various rules and regulations to tax, license, restrict, and discourage them.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 12:08:09 »

Coming from a Congregational-style church background which strives for consensus rather than imposing top-down rules, I particularly enjoyed the bit that reads "The Highway Code will be updated to suggest that those new to horse riding, or those who have not ridden for a while, consider undertaking training".

More generally, this will all take a while to filter through but does look like a positive move.  Previous changes such as including hazard perception in the driving test have definitely made it through to real-life driving over time; I notice for instance many motorists actually slowing down ready to stop as I walk towards a zebra crossing, rather than me needing to wave a toe over the kerb before anyone would even notice me as used to be the case, and many (but not all) drivers now give cyclists a far wider berth than they used to.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2021, 03:49:25 »

I agree that training should be considered before riding a horse on or near public roads, I would not favour making this a requirement.
Whatever next, annual MOT examinations for the horse !

Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2021, 11:08:15 »

There's been a lot of misleading phrases used in connection with these announcements. One was that "vehicles going straight on would always have priority", implying radical and complicated changes to junction procedures. In fact it refers to the specific case of turning into. but not out of, a side road; the idea is to let pedestrians wanting to cross the road, as well as cyclists going straight on, do so with precedence over the vehicle turning into the side road.

These phrases have appeared in many different places, so it would seem the confusion arises with DfT» (Department for Transport - about) not journalists. Perhaps it's time we stopped using the word "priority" in traffic situations and adopted more specific words.

Ever the pedant, I can see scope for more confusion - and most people won't bother to ponder what is meant. I've long had the vague idea that a pedestrian already crossing a road had priority and a stronger view that so had a cyclist going straight on.

But will "pedestrians wanting to cross the road" really have priority? If when I'm in a car I'm about to turn left into a side road and I see a pedestrian waiting on the pavement, do I brake to a halt to allow them to cross. I can't see that going down well with drivers behind me!

(A couple of months ago, I was walking along Oxford Road in Reading and paused to cross over the entrance to Waitrose. When driving into the supermarket, I twitch a little about cars close behind as one needs to slow right down to negotiate the 180-degree turn, and I was a little startled when a lady driver turning in to the car park stopped to allow me to cross - with the rear of her car sticking out into the main road.)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: