10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 07:46:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The first Great Western Railway electric-only train runs to and from South Wales  (Read 12231 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2021, 05:45:40 »

From Rail Advent:

Quote from: Rail Advent
The first Great Western Railway electric-only train runs to and from South Wales

Train operator Great Western Railway has operated the first electric-only train to and from South Wales.

The 12 carriage Class 387 train ran from Swindon to Cardiff on the test run, and is the first time an Electrostar has travelled to Wales after the Severn Tunnel was electrified last year.

With over 700 seats, the 12-car trains can be run in addition to the IET (Intercity Express Train) trains when demand is required for major events such as the Six Nations Rugby Championship.

IETs ran for the first time into Wales last year, with the fleet switching to diesel to pass through the Severn Tunnel.

Running electric only trains to events at the Principality Stadium will help the operator with its plans to reduce the carbon emissions from its fleet of trains.

Further class 387s are due to take place before introducing the trains into passenger service.

GWR (Great Western Railway) Managing Director Mark Hopwood said: “This is a long-term ambition, to help provide additional capacity when ‘big-ticket’ items in the city require it. The pandemic has obviously slowed the need for such services, but we have been working closely with our colleagues at Network Rail to be able to fulfil this ambition. Our IET fleet has always been capable of coping with the majority of demand on the Cardiff to London corridor for these events – the benefit of using 387s is that we can provide more seats without having to reduce IET services elsewhere to provide them.”

Interim Head of Western Alliance John Lanchester said: “This a real coup for Great Western Railway and Network Rail and it demonstrates how we’ve worked collaboratively to make sure we’re ready to operate electric-only trains into Wales.”

Network Rail’s Wales and Border route director Bill Kelly said: “Delivering electrification through the Severn Tunnel last year was a huge achievement for Network Rail and has resulted in thousands of extra seats, more frequent services and quicker and greener journeys for passengers as they travel to and from South Wales. It is great to see GWR has moved another step closer in providing an additional, all-electric passenger service for large-scale events in Cardiff off the back of our electrification work.”

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 07:47:58 »

If it's genuinely "in addition to" rather than "instead of" the current post event service the extra capacity is very welcome.

Probably an idea to install a few more toilets thought if they are going to use them for major events at the Principality stadium!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 12:51:46 »

What a bizarre piece of reporting. Why pick on "electric-only" as being the key feature of 387s, and claim it helps to "reduce carbon emissions? It's not as if an IET (Intercity Express Train) running London-Cardiff and back is going to use a load of diesel. Surely it's more important that 387s are (1) suburban stock or (2) not cracked.

Indeed, it's odd that nothing was said about their potential short-term value filling in for absent IETs. And surely his statement that "our IET fleet has always been capable of coping with the majority of demand on the Cardiff to London corridor for these events" is open to challenge, for taking a minimalist view of what the demand would be if they ran more trains. And was it really in 2020 that IETs first ran to Cardiff, despite the tunnel being non-electric?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 18:08:29 »

"Electric only" was no doubt to differentiate between IETs (Intercity Express Train) and Electrostars. There has been an effort to re-brand IETs as being electric. I have been criticised for referring to IETs as DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit).

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 18:29:50 »

"Electric only" was no doubt to differentiate between IETs (Intercity Express Train) and Electrostars. There has been an effort to re-brand IETs as being electric.

I agree with the first sentence.  I’m interested to know what evidence you have for the second?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 18:54:04 »

I thought IETs (Intercity Express Train) were electro diesels.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 18:25:04 »

They are. This story though is about the wholly electric Class 387 Electrostar.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 15:27:39 »

I have been criticised for referring to IETs (Intercity Express Train) as DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit).

You are quite right.................if there is a noisy Diesel engine throbbing away under my feet - it's a DMU ! Some DMUs (159s) are more pleasant to travel in than others (IETs).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 16:31:33 »

I have been criticised for referring to IETs (Intercity Express Train) as DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit).

You are quite right.................if there is a noisy Diesel engine throbbing away under my feet - it's a DMU ! Some DMUs (159s) are more pleasant to travel in than others (IETs).

We've had this discussion before.  You can indeed call them DMU's at a bit of a stretch - just like you could describe HST (High Speed Train)'s as DMU's - but we all know Broadgage did it to make them sound inferior...and at every opportunity. 

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 03:57:56 »

We've had this discussion before.  You can indeed call them DMU's at a bit of a stretch - just like you could describe HST (High Speed Train)'s as DMU's - but we all know Broadgage did it to make them sound inferior...and at every opportunity. 

They ARE inferior ! and not just in my view, but are generally regarded as being a backward step for long distance services if compared to the previously used HSTs.
Often too short, this being worsened by the cracks, but still a backward step before the cracks.
Hard and uncomfortable seats, generally criticised and not just by me.
No buffets, and often no catering.
No gangway between units. Trolley in the other unit if provided at all.
Inadequate facilities for cycles, not my view I do not cycle, but look at remarks elsewhere on these forums.
Poor luggage space for long distance services to holiday destinations. Surfboards prohibited, on services to a place popular for surfing.
Noise and vibration, poor ride quality.

I fully appreciate that you are more positive than me about these units, but can you really claim that 5 car to Cornwall is better than 8 ?
Or that the seats are more comfortable ?
Or that the sometimes trolley is better than a buffet ?
Or that cycle accommodation is an improvement ?
Or that noise, vibration and ride quality are better than on an HST ?

Again I appreciate that views differ, and that for example some people like the seats, but can you really claim that taking into account train length, catering, luggage/cycle space and comfort in general, that these units are NOT in fact inferior.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 06:33:55 »

The Broadgage IET (Intercity Express Train) cut/paste strikes again!  Smiley

The point about GWR (Great Western Railway) advertising extra services to a surfing event (Boardmasters) on which surfboards are prohibited is a fair one though, and is almost beyond parody.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 07:16:46 »

The point about GWR (Great Western Railway) advertising extra services to a surfing event (Boardmasters) on which surfboards are prohibited is a fair one though, and is almost beyond parody.

Not on this forum it isn't!

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 09:24:28 »

Yes they are, from Wikipedia
"An electro-diesel locomotive (also referred to as a dual-mode or bi-mode locomotive) is a type of locomotive that can be powered either from an electricity supply (like an electric locomotive) or by using the onboard diesel engine (like a diesel-electric locomotive)".

I have been criticised for referring to IETs as DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit).

They ARE inferior ! and not just in my view, but are generally regarded as being a backward step for long distance services if compared to the previously used HSTs.
Often too short, this being worsened by the cracks, but still a backward step before the cracks.
Hard and uncomfortable seats, generally criticised and not just by me.
No buffets, and often no catering.
No gangway between units. Trolley in the other unit if provided at all.
Inadequate facilities for cycles, not my view I do not cycle, but look at remarks elsewhere on these forums.
Poor luggage space for long distance services to holiday destinations. Surfboards prohibited, on services to a place popular for surfing.
Noise and vibration, poor ride quality.

I fully appreciate that you are more positive than me about these units, but can you really claim that 5 car to Cornwall is better than 8 ?
Or that the seats are more comfortable ?
Or that the sometimes trolley is better than a buffet ?
Or that cycle accommodation is an improvement ?
Or that noise, vibration and ride quality are better than on an HST ?

Again I appreciate that views differ, and that for example some people like the seats, but can you really claim that taking into account train length, catering, luggage/cycle space and comfort in general, that these units are NOT in fact inferior.

I can remember the arguments 40 years ago that HST's and Mk3 coaches were a retrograde step over the classic locomotive hauled and Mk2 (Mark 2 coach).

The main downside of the class 800's and the same can be said for the class 700's and 387's are the seats, they are DfT» (Department for Transport - about) spec and not the ToC.

The GW (Great Western) has finally got long over due electrification the difference that has made at Paddington and other stations in terms of noise and pollution is immense

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 15:50:45 »

The Broadgage IET (Intercity Express Train) cut/paste strikes again!  Smiley

My fault for leaving the door ajar this time!

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 16:53:27 »

Not on this forum it isn't!

I see GWR are advertising using the Famous Five again. I thought Enid Blyton had been ‘cancelled’.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: