21:07 Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 02:33:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaigning for a station for Lockleaze  (Read 4057 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2021, 14:40:01 »

FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) held a meeting with local residents at Constable Road bridge, Lockleaze on 31st July, as part of a joint campaign for a new station at this site. The proposed station is on Filton Bank, 1km north of the planned Ashley Down station and 1.7km south of Filton Abbey Wood.

We were joined by Don Alexander, Bristol City Council's new cabinet member for transport, and local councillor Heather Mack. FoSBR chair Rob Dixon explained how a new station would fit in with FoSBR's Plan for Rail, and how well it would integrate with existing bus services (including those to Southmead Hospital). Over 1000 new homes are due to be built in the area.

Local MP (Member of Parliament) Darren Jones planned to attend, but had to spend the day in hospital with his daughter who had injured herself instead! David Wilcox, Green shadow cabinet member for transport was 'pinged' and unable to come, though he has met FoSBR previously to support this scheme.

Spot the seasoned campaigner!

FoSBR were very pleased to see a good number of local people turn out in support!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 14:57:39 »

Two stations 1,000 metres apart?…..
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 17:04:04 »

Two stations 1,000 metres apart?…..

Absolutely! In an urban context this is close to the optimal gap.

The average gap between stations on the North London Line between Gospel Oak and Hackney Central is 1081.5m. Caledonian Road and Barnsbury to Highbury and Islington is a mere 764m. Closer to home, Redland to Montpelier is 756m, and Shirehampton to Portway P&R (Park and Ride) will be 917m.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 18:14:40 »

Sorry - Had to remove my post on this as a map image wouldnt "stick".

My basic message was that I am sure FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) have considered operational issues, wish them every success with Lockleaze campaign, and credit where credit is due, they certainly seem to have got the numbers out for this.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 10:09:43 »

The map on FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) has separate site slightly south by the footbridge, marked as "site proposed by station for council". Does that indicate BCC» (Bristol City Council - about)'s support for a station being built – or factional squabbling? What are the pros and cons of each site? AIUI (as I understand it) GWR (Great Western Railway) are opposed to more than one new station (ie Ashley Down) on this line.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 18:13:39 »

The map on FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) has separate site slightly south by the footbridge, marked as "site proposed by station for council". Does that indicate BCC» (Bristol City Council - about)'s support for a station being built – or factional squabbling? What are the pros and cons of each site? AIUI (as I understand it) GWR (Great Western Railway) are opposed to more than one new station (ie Ashley Down) on this line.

Very much the same with me.  I recall some discussions on the subject a few years ago (at about the same time as four tracking Filton Bank was in the construction stage).  I think the question of accessibility was brought up then, particularly off road approach and access which I believe is somewhat less plentiful at the former Horfield Station site off Bonnington Walk.  I also vaguely recall issues raised regarding stations built on gradients.
A summary of the current pros and cons would be interesting now that the debate seems to be shifting from "if" to "where".
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 18:57:24 »

Very much the same with me.  I recall some discussions on the subject a few years ago (at about the same time as four tracking Filton Bank was in the construction stage).  I think the question of accessibility was brought up then, particularly off road approach and access which I believe is somewhat less plentiful at the former Horfield Station site off Bonnington Walk.  I also vaguely recall issues raised regarding stations built on gradients.
A summary of the current pros and cons would be interesting now that the debate seems to be shifting from "if" to "where".

The site south of the footbridge was one of the locations considered in the CH2MHILL Report for BCC in 2014, which looked at three potential locations for stations between Stapleton Road and Filton Abbey Wood. This site was seen as a potential alternative to the chosen option at Ashley Down. It is perhaps a bit confusing to refer to it as 'proposed by the Council'; 'previously proposed...' might be clearer.

One of the reasons for investigating the site south of the footbridge was to try to avoid the gradient - but it was considered no better. Presumably, given that the gradient problem has been overcome for Ashley Down it will be similarly fixable at Constable Road.

FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) and Lockleaze residents believe that there is scope for an additional station north of the location earlier proposed by BCC but south of Constable Road.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 19:43:32 »

So I take it the "historic Horfield" site on Bonnington Walk mentioned in the CH2MHILL report has been discounted? And how historic is that site? The name as well as the appearance of the houses suggest the area was developed in or shortly after 1953 but I'm presuming the station is somewhat older.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 19:44:57 »

As for Constable Road v Dovercourt Road, the former has a bus service, the latter does not (at least I don't think it has, I've certainly never seen a bus there).

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 23:42:22 »

So I take it the "historic Horfield" site on Bonnington Walk mentioned in the CH2MHILL report has been discounted? And how historic is that site? The name as well as the appearance of the houses suggest the area was developed in or shortly after 1953 but I'm presuming the station is somewhat older.

Yes, it has. Too many switches and crossings there.

A quick check on Wikipedia reveals that Horfield Halt opened in 1927 and closed in 1964.

As for Constable Road v Dovercourt Road, the former has a bus service, the latter does not (at least I don't think it has, I've certainly never seen a bus there).

That's one of the strong selling points of Constable Rd - potential for really good bus integration.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 06:48:32 »

Taking a step back from all the various individual station options ... doesn't there seem sense on urban 4 track lines to have two lines on which express trains and fast freight are run, with only strategic stations, and two lines with stations about every kilometre (1000 yards if you want the old system) served by clock face electric trains every 7.5, 10, 15 or 20 minutes - perhaps dropping to every 30 minutes on the outer sections and through to the next city or urban area, and branches?  Call it a MetroTrain service, run it from early to late 7 days a week and have a simple fare system using a robust and easy fare collection system.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 09:52:58 »

I thought that was meant to be one of the reasons for the four-tracking: two lines for whizzing up to Parkway, Birmingham and Cardiff, two lines for trundling along via Lawrence Hill, Stapleton Road, Ashley Down, Lockleaze, Filton Abbey Wood...

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 11:18:42 »

Taking a step back from all the various individual station options ... doesn't there seem sense on urban 4 track lines to have two lines on which express trains and fast freight are run, with only strategic stations, and two lines with stations about every kilometre (1000 yards if you want the old system) served by clock face electric trains every 7.5, 10, 15 or 20 minutes - perhaps dropping to every 30 minutes on the outer sections and through to the next city or urban area, and branches?  Call it a MetroTrain service, run it from early to late 7 days a week and have a simple fare system using a robust and easy fare collection system.

I thought that was meant to be one of the reasons for the four-tracking: two lines for whizzing up to Parkway, Birmingham and Cardiff, two lines for trundling along via Lawrence Hill, Stapleton Road, Ashley Down, Lockleaze, Filton Abbey Wood...

Yes and yes.

The western pair of lines are the Filton Reliefs which take the local stopping trains. As luck would have it, both the Severn Beach and Henbury lines branch off to the west of Filton Bank. I imagine this is part of the reason an extra line is being laid into Temple Meads on the north-west side as part of the Bristol East Jct work.

Even luckier, the Portishead line branches off to the north-west at Parson Street - so when Temple Meads to Parson Street is four-tracked, local trains will still be on the same side.

The forthcoming MetroWest services to Yate and Gloucester will have to cross over to reach Bristol Parkway, but that's a whole nother nut to crack given the capacity constraint between Parkway and Westerleigh.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2021, 12:35:55 »

The forthcoming MetroWest services to Yate and Gloucester will have to cross over to reach Bristol Parkway ...

Or reverse at North Filton Platform?  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2021, 13:32:08 »

Parkway to Westerleigh jnctn four-tracking with stations on the reliefs at Winterbourne and Coalpit Heath. TonyN can revert to his previous username!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: