Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:03:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anti pollution filters being installed at Salisbury Station  (Read 863 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2024, 22:20:23 »

I've posted this on "wider picture in the "UK (United Kingdom)" as it concerns an issue not just restricted to Salisbury Station but admins are welcome to move this if deemed appropriate.

Salisbury Station is installing new technology that detects air pollution which can then activate filtering equipment.  It looks like a first as far as railways are concerned.....the first of many?

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/24060964.salisbury-railway-station-first-country-receive-new-technology/
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 07:06:14 »

Its a good idea,just thinking do ALL Bristol/Cardiff bound services use platform four?

I think SOME SWT (South West Trains) services heading towards Exeter use platform four.

Would any one know which units create more pollution the SWT units or the units used on the Cardiff to Portsmouth services.

Are there any stand alone recently built battery powered train units,as I can't see overhead wires in that next of the woods for quite some time.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 09:43:50 »

Salisbury Station is installing new technology that detects air pollution which can then activate filtering equipment.  It looks like a first as far as railways are concerned.....the first of many?

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/24060964.salisbury-railway-station-first-country-receive-new-technology/

Some businesses tend to accrete systems that financially cost them and if they can be sold something under the umbrella of signage or safety they're particularly vulnerable to giving it a budget.

As a symptom of this, a few years ago, various businesses sprang out in a rash of flourescent pink blob containers attached to various vertical surfaces and intended for disposal of chewing gum. Looked terrible and just provided another place to stick chewing gum.

In one organisation we inherited an electronic sign. The sign pretended to be dependent on provisioning from a central server and was on a surprisingly expensive contract from which it took a couple of years to extract ourselves.

The systems installed everywhere for motion activated automated announcements on stairs is another example.

The railways attempting to purify the air in Salisbury station, the city, and the whole of southern england is a particularly big over-reach though.

What I'd like from the railway is affordable fares, and a train service - with the loss of Bristol-Waterloo through services.

Salisbury's platforms are lovely**, but I'd prefer not to have to use them at all.

Mark

** Well, not terrible. Mostly.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 10:15:57 »

Are there any stand alone recently built battery powered train units,as I can't see overhead wires in that next of the woods for quite some time.

Smaller air filter units do exist, though I doubt that they have ever been seen as required on-train equipment. Ventilation is a more obvious solution, if limited in some stations and with implications for the cost/performance of air cooling. These Pluvo columns don't seem to have any unique technology in them, they have just taken a few pretty standard functions and packaged them for public spaces like stations.

They describe the internal functions as both filtration and scrubbing, and are rather coy about how it works. As it targets both particles (down to very little ones) and gases (NOx) it covers what's in between (viruses) too. The power it uses is 1-2 kW, which does not sound unreasonable for its size and throughput - 1 m3/s.

A closed area like a terminus with a train shed would seem to be its natural habitat; for an open platform with just a canopy a big fan would presumably do as well.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 10:59:23 »

Its a good idea,just thinking do ALL Bristol/Cardiff bound services use platform four?

When I was at Salisbury last week a Portsmouth bound service used P4 as well !
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 11:14:09 »

I think SOME SWT (South West Trains) services heading towards Exeter use platform four.

Most GWR (Great Western Railway) services toward Westbury use P4, but not all. Today, for example, five services are booked to use P3.

SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services toward Gillingham are roughly two thirds P4, one third P3.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 11:18:54 »

Stick a rubber plunger on it and you've got yourself Environmental Dalek.

RECIRCULATE!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 11:39:44 »

Certainly not a requirement unique to Salisbury - indeed I can think of other places which I would promote as being all the more deserving. Westbury comes to mind, with trains turning around and / or changing staff resulting in stops longer than just a normal passenger stop.   I have often thought about this problem at Westbury and concluded that in the days of locomotives and coaches, the polluting element (the motive power) was in the open air beyond the canopy, but these days ...

There is an issue not only with substance and particle pollution, but also with noise pollution too.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 11:55:59 »

Smaller air filter units do exist, though I doubt that they have ever been seen as required on-train equipment. Ventilation is a more obvious solution, if limited in some stations and with implications for the cost/performance of air cooling. These Pluvo columns don't seem to have any unique technology in them, they have just taken a few pretty standard functions and packaged them for public spaces like stations.

They describe the internal functions as both filtration and scrubbing, and are rather coy about how it works. As it targets both particles (down to very little ones) and gases (NOx) it covers what's in between (viruses) too. The power it uses is 1-2 kW, which does not sound unreasonable for its size and throughput - 1 m3/s.

A closed area like a terminus with a train shed would seem to be its natural habitat; for an open platform with just a canopy a big fan would presumably do as well.

You wonder what consumables/servicing is involved. 1-2 kW if continuous sounds to be a burden. This still sounds to be a way to extract money from gullible organisations. But it's now occurred to me that the primary purpose for this these might actually be to act a substrate for advertising.

Mark
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2024, 19:53:29 »

You wonder what consumables/servicing is involved. 1-2 kW if continuous sounds to be a burden. This still sounds to be a way to extract money from gullible organisations. But it's now occurred to me that the primary purpose for this these might actually be to act a substrate for advertising.

Mark

Of course it is! Explicit in some the the stuff from the makers and pushers of the things; from Design Week:
This advertising column is designed to clean polluted city air

The Pluvo Column has the footprint equivalent to half that of a phone booth, but is able to clean one cubic metre of air per second.
By Molly Long May 24, 2021 10:27 am

Cleantech company Pluvo has partnered with ad company Kinetic to roll out its flagship product, the Pluvo Column, across the country.

Its inventors say that the “ground-breaking” Pluvo Column can scrub one cubic metre of air clean every second. Through a combination of filtering techniques, it claims to clean up to 99% of harmful particulate matter from the air, including noxious gases and airborne viruses.

In a similar deal to that of the “Boris Bikes” in London, Kinetic will sell advertising space on the 11-foot high columns which will in turn pay for their installation and upkeep.

“The more enclosed a space is, the greater the impact”

The Pluvo Column has been trialled for the last six months at a site in Finchley, north London. The invention was supported in its development with an Innovate UK (United Kingdom) Smart Grant.

Pluvo CEO (Chief Executive Officer) Matteo Maccario says the product has been designed to be “versatile in its application” and will now seek roll out across multiple “pollution hotspot areas”.

Such areas will include airports, rail stations and key roadside locations, he explains. “The most effective places to have these columns are areas where you have high levels of harmful air pollution along with high occupancy or visitation from people, for example transport hubs,” Maccario says. “The more enclosed a space is, the less local air circulation, and the greater the impact.”

Maccario says the column’s “futuristic and engaging” aesthetic, achieved through stainless steel surfaces and illuminated displays, was selected so it fits in well in any location. “It’s not just another box”, he says.
WPP advertising company Kinetic has been part of the development process of the Pluvo Column “since the outset”, Maccario says. The partnership will allow the companies Kinetic services to show to their customers that “they care about dealing with pressing environmental issues”, he adds.

Having advertisers effectively sponsor the columns is a convenient way to get around funding for the devices. A similar, but smaller scale project was launched in 2018 between BNP (Barnstaple) Paribas and JCDecaux in London’s Marylebone Station.

Having completed its first six month trial, the team is now in discussions with potential customers to roll out at a first commercial location.

As you can see, it's not exactly brand new as an idea or product.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024, 21:52:17 »

For me, the most interesting thing in all this is the opportunity to chat with a pigeon named Wesley Peck. I’ll get my coat.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2024, 09:36:55 »

Thanks for this, though, apologies for being such a sweet summer child. Someone needs to run the figures on the carbon footprint of the likes of J.C Deceaux's activities though. Perhaps quote the figure and use 'Hinkley Points' as the unit.

Mark
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: