Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:20:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Boardmasters etc  (Read 8144 times)
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2021, 18:48:41 »

Friday:
• 1736 London Paddington to Plymouth does not run
• 1804 London Paddignton to Penzance calls additionally at Castle Cary

So Castle Cary has an additional stop in the 1804 in lieu of the cancelled train... but Pewsey and Westbury do not.

Never mind, there's the 1J93 Paddington-Frome... except that's also cancelled.
The best offer seems to be the 1C93 Paddington-Plymouth, which, surprisingly, stops at Hungerford and Bedwyn in addition to Pewsey and Westbury. (not a special for this week only).
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2021, 19:47:44 »

Monday 16 August
• 0457 Plymouth to Gunnislake is replaced with a bus
• 0542 Gunnislake to Plymouth is replaced with a bus
The route will be interesting, I wonder if it's an amphibious bus?!

Btw for those interested, the Cornwall Railway Society website is reporting that the 06.20 Plymouth - Penzance and 09.25 Penzance - Edinburgh has been a Cross Country HST (High Speed Train) all week instead of the usual Voyager.

Gunnislake is always 2 small buses. 1 for gunnislake and Calstock. The other for Bere Alston and Bere Ferrers. Oakleys coaches were covering the evening runs recently with  small Optare Solos

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Kernowman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2021, 22:03:13 »

Monday 16 August

Gunnislake is always 2 small buses. 1 for gunnislake and Calstock. The other for Bere Alston and Bere Ferrers. Oakleys coaches were covering the evening runs recently with  small Optare Solos
I'm wondering what happens with the Plymouth suburban stations, that the train would have called at?
The timings must be interesting (and presumably fairly longer than by train), Bere Ferrers to Plymouth is fairly circuitous in order to get over the River Tavy, likewise Calstock to Plymouth is fairly circuitous in order to get over the Tamar. I imagine you would need to bear that in mind especially if connecting into other services.

BTW (by the way) re Boardmasters, the 10.32 Newquay to Paddington and 12.31 Newquay to Paddington were both 9 car IETs (Intercity Express Train) on Monday and apparently very well filled! I don't know about the 08.37, 14.19 or 16.20 NQY (Newquay (Station)) - PADs» (Paddington (London) - next trains).
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2021, 22:53:05 »

Monday 16 August

I'm wondering what happens with the Plymouth suburban stations, that the train would have called at?
The timings must be interesting (and presumably fairly longer than by train), Bere Ferrers to Plymouth is fairly circuitous in order to get over the River Tavy, likewise Calstock to Plymouth is fairly circuitous in order to get over the Tamar. I imagine you would need to bear that in mind especially if connecting into other services.

BTW (by the way) re Boardmasters, the 10.32 Newquay to Paddington and 12.31 Newquay to Paddington were both 9 car IETs (Intercity Express Train) on Monday and apparently very well filled! I don't know about the 08.37, 14.19 or 16.20 NQY (Newquay (Station)) - PADs» (Paddington (London) - next trains).

The buses don’t serve the suburban stations. Not sure if an alternative arrangement is made

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2021, 02:45:42 »

The buses don’t serve the suburban stations. Not sure if an alternative arrangement is made

Passenger numbers at Dockyard, Keyham and St Budeaux are very low and I doubt there are (m)any for those early trains / buses.  The outbound  train is express to St Budeaux Victoria Road anyway.  Inbound, the train has a historic use for people working in Plymouth including at the dockyard, but passenger number figures would suggest this is now little used for that purpose - OR there's a quirk in the data, for example with everyone using Plymouth tickets and leaving / joining short.

Devonport figures are higher; the big flow there is to and from schools ... so not August and not this early in the day.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Kernowman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2021, 19:37:16 »

Passenger numbers at Dockyard, Keyham and St Budeaux are very low and I doubt there are (m)any for those early trains / buses.  The outbound  train is express to St Budeaux Victoria Road anyway.  Inbound, the train has a historic use for people working in Plymouth including at the dockyard, but passenger number figures would suggest this is now little used for that purpose - OR there's a quirk in the data, for example with everyone using Plymouth tickets and leaving / joining short.

Devonport figures are higher; the big flow there is to and from schools ... so not August and not this early in the day.

I accept that footfall for the Plymouth suburban stations may not be that high, but surely if you cancel a train and say it's being replaced by a bus/buses, but don't tell people that the bus doesn't serve all the stations that the train would have, then surely that's a bit misleading, and could cause significant inconvenience?!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2021, 20:52:55 »

I see that Boardmasters is causing a massive spike in Covid numbers in Newquay! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-58257323
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 21:11:17 »

I see that Boardmasters is causing a massive spike in Covid numbers in Newquay! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-58257323

Sadly, not at all surprising.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2021, 21:39:36 »

I think it’s across the board* with Devon and Cornwall having some of the highest covid rates in the UK (United Kingdom). Can’t think why  Roll Eyes

*No pun intended  Wink
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2021, 23:44:01 »

I think it’s across the board* with Devon and Cornwall having some of the highest covid rates in the UK (United Kingdom). Can’t think why  Roll Eyes

*No pun intended  Wink
Grockles and emmets? More people in confined area or at a festival and bound to happen. Even if double vaccinated one can still carry as much contagion of the Delta variant as anyone else

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2021, 02:28:34 »

We should all be thankful for the benevolence of GWR (Great Western Railway) in limiting access to this event, by means of closing stations  and bustitution and in refusing to convey surfboards, thereby limiting the risks to innocent people.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2021, 06:50:43 »

We should all be thankful for the benevolence of GWR (Great Western Railway) in limiting access to this event, by means of closing stations  and bustitution and in refusing to convey surfboards, thereby limiting the risks to innocent people.

"Innocent" people?
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2021, 07:31:28 »

Part of the picture but not all.

Boardmasters was an outdoor festival, with PCR checks to enter, etc.
Newquay town is also over-run with visitors, going into indoor venues with no PCR checks.  Just a request to wear masks, and admissions open to all.
Nightclubs, pubs, shops, etc.
Falmouth & St Ives are also on a high since before the G7 (in case anyone is going to go that far back).
Too many people in too small a space.

Whilst the infection rates are very high, hospital admissions are way down fortunately.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2021, 16:31:35 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-58318695
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2021, 16:42:13 »

The cases around us in West Dorset are now higher than they were in the January peak.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: