Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:15:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed  (Read 74657 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2021, 20:36:03 »

Given that we're now at the end date for the Bristol Temple Meads engineering works: tomorrow, SWR» (South Western Railway - about) intended to resume the remaining through services from Waterloo - but they've just announced that they're cancelled - along with a raft of impactful changes on the line to Exeter.

Especially as I have travel booked for both routes next week, I'm wondering how the staff shortages will manifest themselves from Monday through to Friday, especially as... GWR (Great Western Railway) are ramping up the number of  trains that they're running between the likes of Bristol and London, yes?

Services which will no longer run in a forthcoming timetable are likely be the first to be cut at times of staff shortage, and indeed staff numbers aren't going to be built up just to be cut down again. Look at GWR's 17:50 Gloucester to Southampton via Melksham ... 19:37 from Westbury, over the past 4 weeks, planned to "terminate at Warminster" from December:

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2021, 09:22:39 »

... which is unprofessional. Transport operators of all flavours should deploy a timetable that matches their staff provision. It does no-one any favours to deem certain services secondary to others and to be constantly cancelling them.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2021, 12:50:54 »

... which is unprofessional. Transport operators of all flavours should deploy a timetable that matches their staff provision. It does no-one any favours to deem certain services secondary to others and to be constantly cancelling them.
Been saying that for years. I’d also say the same when it comes to having enough rolling stock to provide a service as well.

When I see all this talk about restoring hourly London-Cheltenham, Cardiff and London to Bristol express services, I think how can you when you can’t even provide proper length IC (Inter City) services with the current timetable Huh
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2021, 08:45:40 »

From a very well informed, usually with a seed of truth, but rarely grammatically correct:

That Bristol Bath to London Waterloo is this Christmas Graham  we got a fight Network rail western want Bristol Bath metro  west trains to Westbury to use the paths

With two all-stations trains an hour from Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury, it would make sense to extend one of them to Salisbury and give the 30 minute service Chris Heaton-Harris described (erroneously suggesting it's running already)  in .. oops .. letter to a constituent of one of our local MPs (Member of Parliament) that's not in the public domain, and for that to carry on from there as the 2nd train in the hour off Salisbury to London Waterloo (so that's all stations from Temple Meads to Basingstoke).   Class 158 or 159.  Alternative extension from Salisbury could be the "Romsey Six" rather than every hour to London, and that would be an efficiently improvement, making better use of the 158 that sits in Platform Six at Salisbury for 45 minutes in the hour. Two of the extensions per day onward to Brighton, which not only provide another loved and buildable service, but also provide rush hour capacity into Brighton from the coastway in the morning and back out in the evening.

Frome / Yeovil / Weymouth services to be via extension of the other all-stations train from Bristol Temple Meads

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2021, 10:17:40 »

{Jaw drops emoji}

Drat, I've just missed being able to include that in my submission to Transport Focus. Metro West really shouldn't involve the cessation of popular through services to clear paths for it.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2021, 11:06:50 »

{Jaw drops emoji}

Drat, I've just missed being able to include that in my submission to Transport Focus. Metro West really shouldn't involve the cessation of popular through services to clear paths for it.

I have enquires in - réponses promised within 20 working days - to learn a but more about how the decision came about. These things are often akin to closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, but we can still take steps to see if we can catch the horse.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2021, 14:41:45 »

{Jaw drops emoji}

I have enquires in - réponses promised within 20 working days - to learn a but more about how the decision came about. These things are often akin to closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, but we can still take steps to see if we can catch the horse.

I've slightly lost track of this metaphor. What are you going to say to the horse if you catch it? "Why the long face?"

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2021, 16:09:58 »

I've slightly lost track of this metaphor. What are you going to say to the horse if you catch it? "Why the long face?"

I'm suggesting it should be put back in the stable so that we can check it can be let back out if that's found to be appropriate in December 2022, and with something else in the stable to give rides.

Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2021, 09:13:45 »

Sooo... Using the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) app, an attempt to buy a ticket routed via Salisbury produces an error message and the advice to 'Try again later'. I'll log a bug.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2021, 11:23:16 »

Sooo... Using the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) app, an attempt to buy a ticket routed via Salisbury produces an error message and the advice to 'Try again later'. I'll log a bug.

Oh - that won't help their ticket sales (overall, or in terms of what SWR can report), will it? Or will it help them report in the direction that [insert driver of service loss] wants them to go - "look - it was already not doing well".

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2021, 14:58:19 »

Side effect from another piece of research - official mantra is that three stations loose their direct trains to / from London when "the Waterloo" ceases in December.   They are Oldfield Park, Bradford-on-Avon and Trowbridge.   But note that Keynsham will drop (I think) to just one train a day - timed to help in the peak hour loadings from there into and out of Temple Meads (and not at the times that the good people of Keynsham will want to go to London) and look at this for Warminster:

Even today (far short of pre-Covid service from SWR» (South Western Railway - about)), there are trains to Waterloo at 07:48, 11:44, 14:23, 15:52, and 16:47 with one as far as Basingstoke at 20:24.   From December, just one a day to Waterloo - the 14:23 (which is hardly the most attractive of these time).  There is just one arrival back from Waterloo, leaving London at 07:50.   The 12:20, 16:20 and 19:20 from London (in today's running) all cease.

Has it been flagged up in Warminster that they to are loosing three quarters of their London trains?

Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2021, 21:34:13 »

Significant observation on the impact to Warminster's services, Grahame, thanks for this.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2021, 21:40:08 »

I see that this Saturday, the service is bustituted, and Sunday it is double bustituted.   

(Incidentally, does anyone recall the days of weekend returns when BR (British Rail(ways)) was sometimes able to clear an engineering possession by late Sunday afternoon in order to run trains to return people to where they needed to be?)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2021, 22:15:51 »

I see that this Saturday, the service is bustituted, and Sunday it is double bustituted.   

(Incidentally, does anyone recall the days of weekend returns when BR (British Rail(ways)) was sometimes able to clear an engineering possession by late Sunday afternoon in order to run trains to return people to where they needed to be?)

Yep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2021, 23:17:37 »

... But note that Keynsham will drop (I think) to just one train a day ...

Just checked that - I was correct:
06:32 from Paddington, arrive Keynsham at 08:05. 
17:35 from Keynsham, arrive Paddington at 19:09.

Anytime return if you live in London and catch that train for a business day in Keynsham - £230.00. Yes, you could save by buying £152.30 an anytime single out and a super off peak single back.  Anytime open return via Salisbury and Warminster costs £91.60.  There is also a £73.90 ticket that will let you travel early in the morning from London via Salisbury and Warminster to Keynsham, and back that same afternoon or evening.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 23:41:58 by grahame » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: