I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:46:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed  (Read 74673 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2021, 08:40:38 »

Summary

The following stations set to loose all
  • (or all but 1
  • ) of their through trains to London as from December 2021.

+ Keynsham - Jacob Rees-Mogg MP (Member of Parliament)
* Oldfield Park - Wera Hobbhouse MP
* Bradford-on-Avon - Michelle Donelan MP
* Trowbridge - Andrew Murrison MP
+ Warminster - Andrew Murrison MP

Bristol Temple Meads and Bath Spa loose all their through trains to South London (Waterloo) - as well as to Basingstoke, Woking and Clapham Junction.  Westbury has just one train left from South London, leaving Waterloo at 07:50 and returning from Westbury at 14:13.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2021, 09:00:49 »

Bristol Temple Meads and Bath Spa loose all their through trains to South London (Waterloo) - as well as to Basingstoke, Woking and Clapham Junction.  Westbury has just one train left from South London, leaving Waterloo at 07:50 and returning from Westbury at 14:13.

It's all of 15 mins from Paddington to Waterloo on the Bakerloo line, and Westbury, Bristol TM(resolve) and Bath are well served with fast services to Paddington.

The direct Bristol service from Waterloo takes almost 3 hours, whereas it's roughly 90 mins via Paddington.

I think a little perspective is helpful here?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 09:09:06 by TaplowGreen » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2021, 10:43:25 »

It's all of 15 mins from Paddington to Waterloo on the Bakerloo line, and Westbury, Bristol TM(resolve) and Bath are well served with fast services to Paddington.

The direct Bristol service from Waterloo takes almost 3 hours, whereas it's roughly 90 mins via Paddington.

From the GWR (Great Western Railway) journey planner for Today

Bristol Temple Meads to Waterloo via Paddington, 134 or 135 minutes, 1 (or 2 - BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) and PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)) changes
Bristol Temple Meads direct to Waterloo - 179 minutes

Trowbridge to Waterloo via Paddington, 137 to 151 minutes - 2 changes (so three trains to travel on)
Trowbridge to Waterloo direct, 138 minutes

Warminster to Waterloo via Paddington, 128 to 170 minutes - 2 changes (so three trains to travel on)
Warminster to Waterloo direct, 121 minutes.

Where does your 90 minutes BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to WAT via PAD come from, TaplowGreen?  Never mind perspective, sorry, I have to question your accuracy!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2021, 11:12:04 »

That's the LU platform to platform time, yes?

Now build in reliability margin, walking time either end - count this for a range of people rather than simply for 'Reference man'.

Remember that your seat is on the front half of a ten car set, and you're travelling with a young child.

Then let's look at the evening peak. Previously you'd stepped abourd the 16:20. Since it stopped running, you need to start heading for Paddington from one of the south London terminals a bit before three, to catch a Paddington train before 4pm, or even earlier if you're heading for an advance-booked train you cannot afford to miss.

So... The time advantage of the Paddington route is practically smoke, right there.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2021, 11:28:38 »

I see that this Saturday, the service is bustituted, and Sunday it is double bustituted.   

(Incidentally, does anyone recall the days of weekend returns when BR (British Rail(ways)) was sometimes able to clear an engineering possession by late Sunday afternoon in order to run trains to return people to where they needed to be?)
Remember it well along with the biannual timetables showing when engineering work was taking place.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2021, 11:31:15 »

My times are from Bristol Temple Meads / Trowbridge / Warminster initial train pulling out (you need to be on board 40 seconds earlier, of course!) to doors released at Waterloo - either main line or underground platforms. Looking at the connections at Paddington, they consistently allow 15 minutes from your train's scheduled arrival to the tube leaving. 

I personally feel uncomfortable scheduling myself to arrive at a major London terminus on the tube with just 15 minutes to go before my departure (especially if it's onto a less that frequent service such as a Westbury caller, or if I have an advance ticket) and would allow an extra 15 minutes in the opposite direction to the figures I gave TO Waterloo.

For today ... this is what I'm being offered from Trowbridge to Waterloo via Salisbury if I don't want multiple changes, in the hourly pattern:

Muddy picture - there are better connections and through services show. Some of them may well be retained after December, but there will be far less of them with 5 extra from Westbury to Salisbury planned for removal from the timetable.

Here is the opposite direction:

« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 12:34:32 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2021, 11:34:47 »

I see that this Saturday, the service is bustituted, and Sunday it is double bustituted.   
Remember it well along with the biannual timetables showing when engineering work was taking place.

I just look at the Saturday one ... Waterloo to Trowbridge.   No slower that the train with a connection at Salisbury. Waterloo to Andover, 10 minutes to connect onto the bus to Salisbury, from where there is a 10 minute connection onto the train to Trowbridge!

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2021, 11:37:13 »

TfL» (Transport for London - about) journey planner has it down at 24 minutes:
5 min transfer Waterloo
14 min platform to platform
5 min transfer Paddington

I was actually a little surprised the journey time of the train was only 14 minutes. Thought it would be more like 20.
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2021, 13:04:27 »

Side effect from another piece of research - official mantra is that three stations loose their direct trains to / from London when "the Waterloo" ceases in December.   They are Oldfield Park, Bradford-on-Avon and Trowbridge.   But note that Keynsham will drop (I think) to just one train a day - timed to help in the peak hour loadings from there into and out of Temple Meads (and not at the times that the good people of Keynsham will want to go to London) and look at this for Warminster:

Even today (far short of pre-Covid service from SWR» (South Western Railway - about)), there are trains to Waterloo at 07:48, 11:44, 14:23, 15:52, and 16:47 with one as far as Basingstoke at 20:24.   From December, just one a day to Waterloo - the 14:23 (which is hardly the most attractive of these time).  There is just one arrival back from Waterloo, leaving London at 07:50.   The 12:20, 16:20 and 19:20 from London (in today's running) all cease.

Has it been flagged up in Warminster that they to are loosing three quarters of their London trains?

Looking at Real Time Trains for December, it appears that the departures from Warminster at 0748, 1148 and 1552 attach to other trains at Salisbury and then continue to Waterloo.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2021, 13:14:19 »

Side effect from another piece of research - official mantra is that three stations loose their direct trains to / from London when "the Waterloo" ceases in December.   They are Oldfield Park, Bradford-on-Avon and Trowbridge.   But note that Keynsham will drop (I think) to just one train a day - timed to help in the peak hour loadings from there into and out of Temple Meads (and not at the times that the good people of Keynsham will want to go to London) and look at this for Warminster:

Even today (far short of pre-Covid service from SWR» (South Western Railway - about)), there are trains to Waterloo at 07:48, 11:44, 14:23, 15:52, and 16:47 with one as far as Basingstoke at 20:24.   From December, just one a day to Waterloo - the 14:23 (which is hardly the most attractive of these time).  There is just one arrival back from Waterloo, leaving London at 07:50.   The 12:20, 16:20 and 19:20 from London (in today's running) all cease.

Has it been flagged up in Warminster that they to are loosing three quarters of their London trains?

Looking at Real Time Trains for December, it appears that the departures from Warminster at 0748, 1148 and 1552 attach to other trains at Salisbury and then continue to Waterloo.

Ah - yes.  Just taking a look / will check back further later / on a panic elsewhere at the moment,  Looks like these 3 trains might run TO Waterloo, but FROM Waterloo the only direct train is 07:50, the others starting from Basingstoke.  Is that possible or logical?

Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2021, 14:28:54 »

Ah - yes.  Just taking a look / will check back further later / on a panic elsewhere at the moment,  Looks like these 3 trains might run TO Waterloo, but FROM Waterloo the only direct train is 07:50, the others starting from Basingstoke.  Is that possible or logical?

According to RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) 3 of the 4 SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services from WMN» (Warminster - next trains) to SAL do actually go on to WAT. But the one through service in the opposite direction is..............just absolutely ludicrous !
0750 from WAT to YVP, they could run 10 coaches to SAL on that, then 5 to WSB» (Westbury - next trains) and 3 to YVP........OR............. after a few weeks say that no one is using that train and remove it from the timetable !

The newspapers are full of adverts at the moment urging people to use the trains............what trains Huh
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2021, 17:39:33 »

From the GWR (Great Western Railway) journey planner for Today

Bristol Temple Meads to Waterloo via Paddington, 134 or 135 minutes, 1 (or 2 - BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) and PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)) changes
Bristol Temple Meads direct to Waterloo - 179 minutes

Trowbridge to Waterloo via Paddington, 137 to 151 minutes - 2 changes (so three trains to travel on)
Trowbridge to Waterloo direct, 138 minutes

Warminster to Waterloo via Paddington, 128 to 170 minutes - 2 changes (so three trains to travel on)
Warminster to Waterloo direct, 121 minutes.

Where does your 90 minutes BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to WAT via PAD come from, TaplowGreen?  Never mind perspective, sorry, I have to question your accuracy!

OK - parking the sarcasm -  I used your own example of Bristol TM to "South London", and I was silly to forget to add the Tube journey from Paddington to Waterloo to that - GWR's own website states an average time of 96 minutes between Bristol TM and London Paddington - let's allow an extraordinarily pessimistic half an hour for the Tube journey to Waterloo (a journey I did myself almost every day for 15 years) - total 126 minutes.

South Western Railways own website gives 179 minutes - 1 min shy of 3 hours -  for its direct service from Bristol TM - Waterloo.

So using GWR, notwithstanding changing onto the Tube at Paddington, is going to save you an hour, with a far more frequent service.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 17:48:10 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2021, 18:04:24 »

Just leaving Salisbury on the 16:20 from Waterloo. 54 passengers, 5 of which are in first class. 5 passengers travelling with bicycles.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2021, 18:22:46 »

Aren’t services from SAL to Waterloo to continue? I’m not sure what you are suggesting?
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2021, 19:35:55 »

This was the down train from Waterloo: 54 passengers and 5 bikes were on the portion for Bristol. A few will have come aboard at Salisbury, not many though. The majority headed for stations short of Bath, while the train also filled up from Warminster too.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: