Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 16:01:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[199] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[62] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Who needs a travel agent these days?
[34] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[26] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[25] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed  (Read 74762 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 09, 2021, 20:55:22 »

I see GWR (Great Western Railway) are now advertising that they will be accepting tickets on these journeys on Saturdays whilst SWR» (South Western Railway - about) are unable to run their services - no doubt with one (or perhaps two!) eyes on the future.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 09, 2021, 22:05:36 »

One has to wonder what will happen with the fares structure to London. At the moment from WMN» (Warminster - next trains):Railcard Advance singles - a date picked at random.

0748 to WAT with SWR» (South Western Railway - about): £14.75 Std, £24.35 1st. Direct.
0738 to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) with GWR (Great Western Railway): £26.90 Std, £58.05 1st. Via WSB» (Westbury - next trains).
If you are feeling really adventurous you can go "hybrid" to PAD (d 0748) with both GWR & SWR and go via BSK (Brake Standard Corridor (carriage)) & RDG(resolve) for £34.80 Std or £104.05 1st.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2021, 06:03:50 »

One has to wonder what will happen with the fares structure to London.

Indeed. Taking a look at another aspect, there are currently day return fares from places like Bristol Temple Meads and Bath Spa (and Trowbridge and Frome and Sea Mills!) to London, via Warminster and Salisbury and with fares set by SWR» (South Western Railway - about).   There are no day return fares via Swindon - only period returns - and they typically work out more expensive.

Will the SWR fares still be offered after the fare revision in January? We have to consider the scenario of our campaign failing to retain the trains, and whether a fare set by an operator not present any more would last. Will GWR (Great Western Railway) provide day return and other fares at similar levels to SWR have done as they offer what we are told is to be the alternative provision?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2021, 06:09:30 »

Yesterday - Saturday 9th October 2021 - was the first full day promoting the petition which asks people to sign up to ask the government to "Continue to run through trains from Bristol to Waterloo via Trowbridge".

Numbers signed by midnight (by local constituency set to loose London service) were:
Chippenham - Michelle Donelan MP (Member of Parliament) - 164 signatures (Bradford-on-Avon Station)
South West Wiltshire - Rt Hon Dr Andrew Murrison MP - also 164 signatures (Trowbridge Station)
Bath - Wera Hobhouse MP - 71 signatures (Oldfield Park Station)
North East Somerset - Rt Hon Jacob Rees-Mogg MP - 34 signatures (Keynsham Station)

West Wilts Rail User Group, Railfuture, and Two Tunnels are also providing publicity - and more to follow from other supporting 'sponsors', and a lot of people have shared, written, informed - all I have done apart from my Coffee Shop "base" is to post to local Facebook groups for the places most affects.

A big THANK YOU to those (you know who you are especially) providing so much help.  With the number of signatures in just one full day, we can now answer "does anyone care" ... as if the powers that be hadn't been able to see all the people who've used these trains over the years and have come back so strongly on the line recently. But the petition (at https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/598397 ) and follow up meeting (Trowbridge and Zoom, 20th October at http://www.passenger.chat/25522 ) are just one step towards us having a logical, sensible, well used, affordable service running next year, rather that the unfortunate alternative of pulling off a success story at the very time it's most needed.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #214 on: October 10, 2021, 06:22:43 »

From last month ... (dated 21st September) to a correspondent in Bradford-on-Avon and now shared

My name is Claire Mann and I am the Managing Director of South Western Railway. I am responding as the matters you raise largely concern our proposed December 2022 timetable.

We recognise that services currently from Bradford-upon-Avon to London Waterloo via Salisbury do not match the timetable from before the COVID 19 pandemic, and It is correct that  we are withdrawing direct Bradford on Avon to London Waterloo services from December 2021.

Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, SWR» (South Western Railway - about) – like all train operators – have been supported by the Government and taxpayers to keep services running for key workers. As a result, we  recognise that we need to run a service that efficiently meets customer demand, which remains well below pre-pandemic levels.

In line with this, we have sought to identify areas of duplication across the network where the removal of services would reduce the burden on the taxpayer, while not having a significant  effect on services for commuters or school flows. Given the volume of services operated between Salisbury and Bristol by GWR (Great Western Railway) and the large proportion of leisure travel on the SWR services, we are confident the withdrawal of our services between will not materially  impact key flows of commuter or school traffic and agreed with the Department for Transport to realise the cost savings as soon as possible.

In the longer term, many connections from the Bristol direction will improve from December 2022, when we propose to reinstate the two through trains per hour between Salisbury and  London Waterloo. We will also work with Great Western Railway to improve the connections at Salisbury further wherever possible as part of development of the December 22 timetable.

I hope this clarifies the matters raised in your email to Matthew Gregory. Please do let us know if you have any further questions or comments on the proposed December 2022 timetable.

Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 10, 2021, 08:48:58 »

My name is Claire Mann and I am the Managing Director of South Western Railway. I am responding as the matters you raise largely concern our proposed December 2022 timetable.

We recognise that services currently from Bradford-upon-Avon to London Waterloo via Salisbury do not match the timetable from before the COVID 19 pandemic, and It is correct that  we are withdrawing direct Bradford on Avon to London Waterloo services from December 2021.

Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, SWR» (South Western Railway - about) – like all train operators – have been supported by the Government and taxpayers to keep services running for key workers. As a result, we  recognise that we need to run a service that efficiently meets customer demand, which remains well below pre-pandemic levels.

In line with this, we have sought to identify areas of duplication across the network where the removal of services would reduce the burden on the taxpayer, while not having a significant  effect on services for commuters or school flows. Given the volume of services operated between Salisbury and Bristol by GWR (Great Western Railway) and the large proportion of leisure travel on the SWR services, we are confident the withdrawal of our services between will not materially  impact key flows of commuter or school traffic and agreed with the Department for Transport to realise the cost savings as soon as possible.

In the longer term, many connections from the Bristol direction will improve from December 2022, when we propose to reinstate the two through trains per hour between Salisbury and  London Waterloo. We will also work with Great Western Railway to improve the connections at Salisbury further wherever possible as part of development of the December 22 timetable.

I hope this clarifies the matters raised in your email to Matthew Gregory. Please do let us know if you have any further questions or comments on the proposed December 2022 timetable.

Typical meaningless corporate verbiage ....................what did Greta say ? "Blah, blah, blah ......."
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2021, 09:23:40 »

Typical meaningless corporate verbiage ....................what did Greta say ? "Blah, blah, blah ......."

For balance, and in the interest of fairness and objectivity, it would be informative to see the original correspondence from the mysterious "correspondent in Bradford-on-Avon"?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #217 on: October 10, 2021, 10:42:02 »

For balance, and in the interest of fairness and objectivity, it would be informative to see the original correspondence from the mysterious "correspondent in Bradford-on-Avon"?

See http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=25526.msg312922#msg312922 - the original contains personal information which I am not at liberty to share, but I have put up a version with a few redacted elements on that "Transport Scholars" area.

The basis is a weekly round trip for family reasons to a place in Kent for someone who is mobile, but not wonderfully supple to make a load of changes.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2021, 12:22:31 »

From last month ... (dated 21st September) to a correspondent in Bradford-on-Avon and now shared

In my view, the most interesting section of Claire Mann's response is this bit (my highlighting in bold) :

Quote from: Claire Mann
In line with this, we have sought to identify areas of duplication across the network where the removal of services would reduce the burden on the taxpayer, while not having a significant  effect on services for commuters or school flows. Given the volume of services operated between Salisbury and Bristol by GWR and the large proportion of leisure travel on the SWR services, we are confident the withdrawal of our services between will not materially  impact key flows of commuter or school traffic and agreed with the Department for Transport to realise the cost savings as soon as possible.

This perfectly illustrates the mountain that Andrew Haines - if he does indeed become CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of GBR (Great British Railways) - will have to climb. Remember this? (again, my highlighting in bold) :

Andrew Haines shows his mettle in this article.

With his backing for rail reopenings, a “welcoming” and “reliable” railway that minimises disruption and encourages travel, developing leisure traffic, and facilitating an "end to end service", he acheives that most rare of things, a conference speech by a Network Rail executive that I find difficult to disagree with.

Has Haines finally found his "Burning Platform for Change" ?

Quote from: New Civil Engineer
At the RIA Innovation Conference, Haines emphasised that tapping into the leisure travel market could also have a role to play in sustaining the railway long-term. However he said passengers need an "end to end service".

“So often when I look at where I want to go at the weekend it’s great if I’m happy to walk three miles from the railway station to the place of historic interest or walk but that’s not viable for a lot of people," he said.

Network Rail will also consider when it undertakes maintenance work to perhaps facilitate more leisure travel, with a large amount of renewals currently taking place over weekends and bank holidays.

Now, I deal with public transport strategy over here in Brittany on a day-to-day basis, and the fact is you cant please all the people all of the time - That's just the way life goes. What you absolutely must do though - above all else - is make sure that your strategy is at least coherent.

Andrew, if you are reading this - and rumour has it that you probably are - then my advice to you, given that you are are now head of the GBR Transition Team, would be to seriously consider whether you really want this proposal to be the first very public demonstration of intent of GBR future policy going forward.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2021, 14:18:35 »

Is it this: she's saying that she's fighting the previous battle, not the current one?

Mark
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 10, 2021, 16:23:46 »

Is it this: she's saying that she's fighting the previous battle, not the current one?

Mark

The way I read it from Claire Mann's comments, particularly the one Lee highlights,  is that this is being driven by Government policy to prioritise commuter/school routes (which generate more income) than a primarily leisure route such as the one in question, especially where there is the potential for duplication,  and save money since the railways have been sucking up even more vast amounts of subsidy than usual in order to keep services running during the COVID period?

Were this to be a battle that SWR» (South Western Railway - about) were inclined to fight, if they've been given this direction by Government, is there much hope of them winning it, and perhaps campaigning should be targeted at the DfT» (Department for Transport - about), rather than SWR - Organ grinder v Monkey?

Apologies if I'm reading it wrong.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: October 10, 2021, 17:16:23 »

Mark

The way I read it from Claire Mann's comments, particularly the one Lee highlights,  is that this is being driven by Government policy to prioritise commuter/school routes (which generate more income) than a primarily leisure route such as the one in question, especially where there is the potential for duplication,  and save money since the railways have been sucking up even more vast amounts of subsidy than usual in order to keep services running during the COVID period?

Were this to be a battle that SWR» (South Western Railway - about) were inclined to fight, if they've been given this direction by Government, is there much hope of them winning it, and perhaps campaigning should be targeted at the DfT» (Department for Transport - about), rather than SWR - Organ grinder v Monkey?

I was more highlighting the difference between the justification that Claire Mann is giving to remove the services, which as TG rightly says is apparently to prioritise commuter/school traffic over leisure traffic, and the likely first CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of GBR (Great British Railways) Andrew Haines clearly stated preference to prioritise that leisure traffic. With a public transport policy, whether the public themselves like it or dont like it, the one thing it must be is coherent, and given that this difference goes to the very heart of the service provision question on this route, it creates a situation where one hand literally doesnt know what the other is doing.

Therefore, if I were Andrew Haines, and newly-appointed head of the GBR Transition Team, I would be looking at grahame and Mark A's perfectly reasonable suggestion of deferring the withdrawal of these services to December 2022 so that the entire question of service provision on this route can be considered in a properly consulted and co-ordinated way, and working out how I could discreetly bite their hands off.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 10, 2021, 18:57:11 »

I may have this completely wrong, but just wonder if Mark Hopwood has any questions to answer during his secondment as interim MD of SWR» (South Western Railway - about). He must have known of the plans to axe the SWR Bristol Waterloo services, but also knew that as returning GWR (Great Western Railway) MD he would be able to take advantage of filling the gap left by SWR.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #223 on: October 10, 2021, 19:01:25 »

You'll note that the petition reads
The Department for Transport has specified that the direct trains from Bristol, Keynsham, Bath, Bradford-on-Avon and Trowbridge to London (Waterloo) via Salisbury cease in December (2021). We ask that they continue to run pending consultation and effective ongoing provision.
and it's specifically a Government one and not one on another petition site.

"Much hope?" you ask.  Probably not if we just asked SWR.  But I note that a week is a long time in politics, and it will be interesting to see what happens in the next two or three.  I would love the DfT to take up the recommendation from their own watchdog, which happens to co-incide with the petition request. It would earn them all a great deal of credit and the promise of community partnership towards a bright future.

Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 10, 2021, 20:33:44 »

Sunday night. Petition now north of 1000. Good work, Graham.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: