16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
08:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 11:04:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[146] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[59] Signage - not making it easy ...
[12] IETs at Melksham
[11] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[10] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed  (Read 76441 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 11, 2021, 08:12:42 »

A sad day indeed. Well done and thank you Graham and BNM for traveling on the last service from Bristol to Waterloo to mark the end of this well used service. It won’t be until next week that many who use it will find it has disappeared and will have to use lesser alternative services instead  Cry
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 11, 2021, 09:33:04 »

Most of today's train service for Whitchurch seems to have been 'Trowbridged', yes?

Freeing up the staff from the Saturday SWR» (South Western Railway - about) Bristol trains seems to be going well...

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:WCH/2021-12-11/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Mark
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #407 on: December 11, 2021, 10:35:20 »

A sad day indeed. Well done and thank you Graham and BNM for traveling on the last service from Bristol to Waterloo to mark the end of this well used service. It won’t be until next week that many who use it will find it has disappeared and will have to use lesser alternative services instead  Cry

Thank you - I have initially followed up at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=25739.msg315843#msg315843 on our "frequent poster" board - I'll follow up with full stats and a report later today; an element of a "morning off" for me as I was up way later than normal bed time.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 11, 2021, 21:33:57 »

SWR» (South Western Railway - about) twitter this evening have responded to a query as to why so many trains at Salisbury are cancelled today with 'Hi Billy, this was due to a shortage of train crew, along with the withdrawal of our services between Bristol and  Salisbury.'
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 15, 2021, 10:24:15 »

From Real Time Trains: the Bristol to Paddington via Trowbridge didn't run this morning.

Rather puts the dampeners on the GWR (Great Western Railway) chap with an 'Oh, there's our train to Paddington at the ever so useful time of 05:40.' snarkily correcting someone's assertion that Trowbridge was losing all London services.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L87248/2021-12-15/detailed

Add this to the observations elsewhere* on GWR's ability to strengthen certain services that mitigate the loss of the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) trains between Salisbury and Bristol and much of the TOCs (Train Operating Company) talk becomes moonshine, yes?

Mark

*Here: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=25759.0
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 15, 2021, 11:07:56 »

SWR» (South Western Railway - about) twitter this evening have responded to a query as to why so many trains at Salisbury are cancelled today with 'Hi Billy, this was due to a shortage of train crew, along with the withdrawal of our services between Bristol and  Salisbury.'

A tweet that Delores Umbridge could have written
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #411 on: December 15, 2021, 11:16:07 »

From Real Time Trains: the Bristol to Paddington via Trowbridge didn't run this morning.

Rather puts the dampeners on the GWR (Great Western Railway) chap with an 'Oh, there's our train to Paddington at the ever so useful time of 05:40.' snarkily correcting someone's assertion that Trowbridge was losing all London services.

To be fair to GWR, I don't think they've ever suggested (to me anyway) that their train at 05:40 to London (with no direct train back at all) is an adequate replacement for trains mid morning, afternoon and evening in both directions.   I HAVE been corrected when someone thought I said "there will no longer be any through trains from Trowbridge to London" when actually I have said, consistently, "there will no longer be any through trains from London to Trowbridge". 

Most people I know who have used the direct service to Waterloo in the past have not used the 05:40 - I'm the exception and have used both and on the few occasions I have used the 05:40 there have only been one or two there passengers joining the train there.   Reasons that others have not used it are:
* It's the wrong time for them
* There is no bus connection to Trowbridge Station that connects into it
* It's a "peak" train - you need an anytime ticket which is very expensive if you don't book ahead and get lucky
* They don't want London (Paddington) - they want London (Waterloo)
* They want to go out and back direct and via the same route.
Who operated it and what colour it's painted are not concerns - if GWR ran three trains a day from Trowbridge to Waterloo and back just like SWR» (South Western Railway - about) (or Wales and West, or Regional Railways) used to, I think we would all be happy.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 15, 2021, 11:52:43 »

It's just struck me: given that there's no coordination between services on the two lines, the railways are now running Bristol to Waterloo in the manner of two branches: Bristol to Salisbury and Salisbury to Waterloo.

So, the service joins these (and probably others, trying to think of other through lines, now severed, leaving one or two unprofitable stubs):

Manchester to Chinley and Matlock to Derby: gap: 24 miles.
Exeter to Okehampton and Bere Alston to Plymouth: gap: 22 miles.
London - Uckfield and Lewes - south coast destinations: gap: 11 miles.

and now:

London Waterloo - Salisbury and Salisbury to Bristol: gap: 0 miles, but hey, the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) strikes again!

(More seriously, the hit to network connectivity from that lot is considerable - and given the 21st Century knowledge base, when it comes to journey opportunities, on the value of networks, its embarrassing)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #413 on: December 19, 2021, 16:45:18 »

Middlesbrough has an hourly service to York and a half hourly service to Darlington, both of which have services to London at least every 30 minutes. The proposed London service duplicates the existing service to York. Double standards?

According to bus and train user: https://busandtrainuser.com/2021/12/16/december-train-developments/

There are of course other train journeys available from Teesside to London including the hourly TransPennine Express (TPE (Trans Pennine Express)) Middlesbrough to York service (part of its Redcar to Manchester Airport timetable) which provides connections in York for London or the Northern hourly service to Darlington and change there. But changing trains is never as convenient as a through service so the new LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) journey scores highly on that front.

However, if journey time is important a quirk of train pathing means you can leave Middlesbrough at 07:20, twelve minutes after the morning LNER train has gone, and arrive into Kings Cross eight minutes sooner at 10:14 instead of the LNER’S 10:22, even including a six minute change of trains at Northallerton (from TPE to Grand Central). How odd is that?

So you could leave Middlesbrough on Northern or TransPennine Express and change to either LNER or Great Central, and in addition you can now travel direct with LNER too.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 19, 2021, 17:00:02 »

Middlesbrough has an hourly service to York and a half hourly service to Darlington, both of which have services to London at least every 30 minutes. The proposed London service duplicates the existing service to York. Double standards?
So you could leave Middlesbrough on Northern or TransPennine Express and change to either LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) or Great Central, and in addition you can now travel direct with LNER too.

Other than the fact this service started at the same time the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) trains were withdrawn, I'm not sure it makes for a good comparison.  Just the one direct train a day from Middlesbrough, also calling at Thornaby, which have a combined population of more than four times Bradford-On-Avon and Trowbridge.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 19, 2021, 20:22:59 »

So you could leave Middlesbrough on Northern or TransPennine Express and change to either LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) or Great Central, and in addition you can now travel direct with LNER too.

Other than the fact this service started at the same time the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) trains were withdrawn, I'm not sure it makes for a good comparison.  Just the one direct train a day from Middlesbrough, also calling at Thornaby, which have a combined population of more than four times Bradford-On-Avon and Trowbridge.
If we're building new high-speed (or even medium-speed) lines, there's a very good case for an Intercity loop off the ECML (East Coast Main Line) serving Middlesbrough, Hartlepool, and Sunderland.

Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 30, 2021, 22:09:22 »

Ah. A Bristol to Waterloo via Salisbury direct train. Just the one though. 2nd July.

https://www.railwaytouring.net/the-atlantic-coast-express

Mark
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #417 on: December 31, 2021, 12:53:25 »

I think that heads to Exeter rather than to Bristol, Mark?

There are regular paths for a steam train, mid-week, from Victoria to Bath and Bristol for day trips - run "as required" - there's even one today.

Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 31, 2021, 13:07:39 »

Indeed it's out via, um, Honiton, and back via Bristol to Salisbury and then Waterloo.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 05, 2022, 15:07:56 »

New year coverage in the Wiltshire Times - from John Baker who reported on the ~2004 attempt to fold the service.

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/19823097.rail-service-axed-despite-protests-mps/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: