Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:45:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed  (Read 74644 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: January 06, 2022, 14:24:20 »

Statement from RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) on covid-related timetable cuts.

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-on-covid-linked-rail-reductions/

"...any attempt to use this crisis to cynically bulldoze through permanent cuts to services and staffing levels would meet the stiffest resistance from this trade union."

With the loss of the Bristol to Waterloos, that train has already departed, but hopefully this has primed the RMT to have 'conversations' when this tactic is repeated as it surely will be.

RMT's article flagged in the Stroud News and Journal piece on a Rail Delivery Group release that sounds as though it was dictated by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about):

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/news/national/19825413.rail-firms-defend-decision-axe-hundreds-trains/

Mark
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #421 on: January 06, 2022, 14:54:32 »

"... any attempt to use this crisis to cynically bulldoze through permanent cuts to services ... would meet the stiffest resistance from this trade union."

It would meet similar from the community too. 

I would love to be able to say we could trust the "powers that be" not to try the trick of slipping permanent changes through, but sad recent experience has proven that certain decision makers cannot be trusted - they established their spots last year, and what trust was broken over three months will take as many years to repair.

There are some excellent and earnest timetable and service planners around - indeed they make up the majority. Problem, perhaps, is that the political or politically-driven masters won't let them do the 'right' job, and those political decision infect outcomes.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #422 on: January 06, 2022, 18:43:23 »

From the Daily Mail
Grant Shapps insists the destruction of public property remains 'unacceptable' after the Colston Four trial

I do hope his comment was a general one, and not related to this particular case - for that was tried by a jury, who's verdict we should respect.  To my knowledge, Mr Shapps was neither present when the incident took place, nor in court during the trial, and he so he should understand the decision made by six men and women selected to look in detail at the case and come to a conclusion.

Mr Shapps should be very careful that he is not throwing stones while standing in a glasshouse.

"Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said the UK (United Kingdom) was 'not a country where destroying public property can ever be acceptable'" - and this from the very minister who had in his hands the public (nationalised) property of a much loved and much used train service from Bristol Temple Meads to Waterloo and chose - in spite of over 6,300 members of the public urging him to do otherwise - and destroyed that public property.

So does Mr Shapps consider that there should be one law for others, and a different one for him?

By all means remove the statue with due public review and consultation ... and I'm sure that if proper process had been followed with that train service, there would not have been the same outcry - and likely not the same result either!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 06, 2022, 21:17:53 »

AIUI (as I understand it) this is not a perverse Jury as some politicians and Journalists have suggested. 

Here is the defence lawyers explanation of the case https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bfsnhj

I have read somewhere that two of the criteria quoted on this recording, are actually listed as a defence in the statute, and the third is an established common law defence.

I have read that the Judge gave clear guidance to the Jury by way of questions to help them decide whether or not the criteria were met for the Jury to acquit. 
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 06, 2022, 22:49:29 »

AIUI (as I understand it) this is not a perverse Jury as some politicians and Journalists have suggested. 

Here is the defence lawyers explanation of the case https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bfsnhj

I have read somewhere that two of the criteria quoted on this recording, are actually listed as a defence in the statute, and the third is an established common law defence.

I have read that the Judge gave clear guidance to the Jury by way of questions to help them decide whether or not the criteria were met for the Jury to acquit. 

More detailed and expert review from the Secret Barrister
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #425 on: January 06, 2022, 23:07:20 »

That is a very interesting link, thanks, ellendune ... I have skimmed it and this passage shouted at me, when the author is addressing the question as to whether the verdict might be a threat to the rule of law. He concludes "no" but then goes on ...

What does, however, represent a genuine threat to the rule of law is when elected politicians, having not heard the evidence nor bothered to understand the relevant legal principles, attempt to undermine the verdicts of independent juries when the outcome of a criminal case does not meet with their approval. That is a very dark road indeed.

Hear, hear, hear!

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 07, 2022, 18:18:34 »

From the Daily Mail
Grant Shapps insists the destruction of public property remains 'unacceptable' after the Colston Four trial

I do hope his comment was a general one, and not related to this particular case - for that was tried by a jury, who's verdict we should respect.  To my knowledge, Mr Shapps was neither present when the incident took place, nor in court during the trial, and he so he should understand the decision made by six men and women selected to look in detail at the case and come to a conclusion.

I disagree with the verdict of the jury, but we should still respect that verdict.

It seems to me some jurys base the verdict not on the evidence presented to the court, but on their own moral and political views. In this particular case, I suspect that the jurors were opposed to slavery (almost everyone is opposed to slavery) and therefore based the verdict on this opposition and not on the evidence.

I have served on a jury several times, and was not in general impressed by fellow jurors. In one case the other members of the jury followed my lead without any understanding. Whilst I am satisfied that the correct verdict was reached, it was in effect trial by ME rather than by all 12 jurors.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 07, 2022, 19:19:07 »

Whether the Jury's decision is in line with the evidence. That is their right
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 08, 2022, 08:28:27 »

From the Daily Mail

I have served on a jury several times, and was not in general impressed by fellow jurors. In one case the other members of the jury followed my lead without any understanding. Whilst I am satisfied that the correct verdict was reached, it was in effect trial by ME rather than by all 12 jurors.

.......did you attend the subsequent executions in person?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 08, 2022, 17:05:51 »

I did ask about priority seating for the executions but was told that we do not do this anymore.
Spent nearly two weeks on jury service and did not even get to watch a hanging.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 08, 2022, 17:22:09 »

Has Salisbury got a surplus of units now with the Bristol, Penzance, Plymouth and Paignton services all gone?
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 08, 2022, 17:23:40 »

Being a near-Wallingford man, Blackstone's Ratio comes to mind.

"It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Having done jury service only once - and quite distressing it was too - I console myself with the above regarding the subsequent verdict at my occasion.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 08, 2022, 18:37:46 »

I did ask about priority seating for the executions but was told that we do not do this anymore.
Spent nearly two weeks on jury service and did not even get to watch a hanging.

So what's a hung jury?  Cheesy

A jury can reach the right verdict, or a jury can reach the wrong verdict. It is, however, the correct verdict. You can't say the same about transport ministers.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #433 on: January 08, 2022, 19:18:34 »

Has Salisbury got a surplus of units now with the Bristol, Penzance, Plymouth and Paignton services all gone?

From my FOI (Freedom of Information) enquiry, on 19th April 2021, a member of the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) team who's name has been redacted wrote to Graham Stockbridge at the DfT» (Department for Transport - about):

Withdrawal of these services would allow the removal of route knowledge between Westbury and Bristol from both Drivers and Guards at both Salisbury and Yeovil Traincrew Depots. Given the limited number of trips this route knowledge is difficult and expensive to maintain, sometimes relying on rest day work. At least one Drivers and Guards turn would be saved each week day. Furthermore, there would be a reduction in fleet and fuel miles with an approximate value of [redacted]  p.a. as well as the avoidance of rail replacement services when engineering work applies. I am also aware that Northern Rail have enquired about the availability of Diesel trains and we also could consider released units for the start up of the Waterside Line.

The likely total saving is projected to be in the region of [redacted] p.a. (some of which is in future costs avoided rather than savings from our current costs).

However, take that with a pinch of salt because in the same letter (s)he also wrote:

Through journey opportunities from stations east of Salisbury to those north of Westbury will be removed; however, good connections and alternative services are available for passengers.
when the connections are typically as awful as they can be

GWR (Great Western Railway) services between Salisbury and Bristol have been lengthened in recent years following the introduction of 5 car trains and turbo rolling stock.
which wrongly suggest that all trains that need it are now 5 cars

Further developments on this corridor are planned through Metro West and other schemes and given projected customer numbers there is little commercial need for SWR services which do not provide part of the regular clockface service on that route.
which overlooks the significant gap between the SWR services finishning and replacements starting

It was also pointed out to us in late November by SWR / DfT / GWR that there's less rolling stock available after a 158 and a 159 made a much closer connection than they should have done at the tunnel mouth at Fisherton.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 08, 2022, 21:17:11 »

AFAICS (As Far As I Can See) there’s not much point combining things that happened almost 15 years apart, because Penzance, Plymouth and Paignton withdrawal was done primarily to provide the stock for the hourly service to Exeter, following the Axminster doubling.  The fleet size hardly changed subsequently, although a single 158 was eventually transferred permanently to EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about), now EMR» (East Midlands Railway, also known as EMT (East Midlands Trains) - about).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: