I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:45:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34
  Print  
Author Topic: South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed  (Read 74672 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: May 07, 2022, 18:24:44 »

Article on South Western Railway sponsored research in the Bristol Post.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/bristol-named-fifth-best-place-7045951

Given that Bristol and Bath are No. 2 and 3 on their list for the South West, I'm looking forward to hearing that South Western Railway will reintroduce services to the two destinations which are still on their network map even if they do not at present serve either of them.

Mark
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #451 on: May 07, 2022, 19:02:51 »

Fat chance, the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) are saving money
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #452 on: May 07, 2022, 19:45:56 »

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/bristol-named-fifth-best-place-7045951

Given that Bristol and Bath are No. 2 and 3 on their list for the South West, I'm looking forward to hearing that South Western Railway will reintroduce services to the two destinations which are still on their network map even if they do not at present serve either of them.

Mark

It seems perverse than a business that's looking to regrow on travel / tourism / leisure should cease to server the number 2 and 3 travel / tourism / leisure destinations.  Or are they pinning their hopes on promoting travel to such lovely sounding places as Redbridge and Rowlands Castle, Hilsea, Hedge End, Millbrook and Maldon Manor, Raynes Park, Syon Lane, Sunnymeads and Martins Heron.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 07, 2022, 19:59:30 »

Mark

It seems perverse than a business that's looking to regrow on travel / tourism / leisure should cease to server the number 2 and 3 travel / tourism / leisure destinations.  Or are they pinning their hopes on promoting travel to such lovely sounding places as Redbridge and Rowlands Castle, Hilsea, Hedge End, Millbrook and Maldon Manor, Raynes Park, Syon Lane, Sunnymeads and Martins Heron.
Odd that the hyperlink to “South Western Railway” in the Bristol Post article doesn’t actually go anywhere?

But they do still go to Exeter, Bournemouth, Southampton, Poole, Portsmouth, Reading, London, I don’t think you need to bring in the minor halts just yet…
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 07, 2022, 20:15:56 »

Alas, it wasn't around long enough for the internet archive to save a copy.

Mark
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 09, 2022, 22:00:51 »

Alas, it wasn't around long enough for the internet archive to save a copy.

Mark

It's still there. Just looks as if Bristol Live got the beginning of the link wrong.
Try this - https://www.southwesternrailway.com/where-next/things-to-do/uk-independent-retailers
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 09, 2022, 22:10:25 »

So now we see it’s a national survey, presumably we can wonder about why those other places are not on the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) network, eg York, Cambridge, Norwich, Brighton…  Grin

Paul
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 31, 2022, 16:45:34 »

Didn't use this myself, but since we're a month away from July, the Bristol to Waterloo direct services, when the tennis was on, called at Wimbledon, yes?

Another event whose users probably miss these trains is the Imberbus operation, which possibly explains why Peter Hendy bit my head off when I tweeted something about it once.

Mark
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 01, 2022, 12:14:04 »

Mark ,I know Twitter can be an infuriating experience but I've never known Peter to bight anyone's head off ,in all my years of being there .
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 16, 2022, 11:52:51 »

Mark ,I know Twitter can be an infuriating experience but I've never known Peter to bight anyone's head off ,in all my years of being there .

It was justified, and actually it was only a nip rather than a bite. At the time I was running out of road with the Bristol to Waterloo services and knew that people used them to travel to Imberbus - and those not on the through trains were liable to be bitten by the connection time at Salisbury - but I shouldn't have tried to drag him into it.

That aside, now thinking of rail services to events - and particularly that South West Trains, for the two weeks of the tennis, had the Bristol to Waterloo services make a special stop at Wimbledon. Wondering when was the last time *that* happened, but it's a good example of a TOC (Train Operating Company) stepping up.

Which has also reminded me that route knowledge was such that in the event of Wimbledon to Clapham Junction being unavailable, South West Trains would run services via the rather engineering-heavy surviving down spur at Putney, and now I'm wondering whether the spur is bi-directional, and whether the spur is still used in this way. But this is wandering far from GWR (Great Western Railway) territory...

Mark
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 16, 2022, 15:10:43 »

Which has also reminded me that route knowledge was such that in the event of Wimbledon to Clapham Junction being unavailable, South West Trains would run services via the rather engineering-heavy surviving down spur at Putney, and now I'm wondering whether the spur is bi-directional, and whether the spur is still used in this way. But this is wandering far from GWR (Great Western Railway) territory...

Mark
The East Putney route is used every day by SWR» (South Western Railway - about), pre-Covid there were over 20 movements daily, a bit less today, and mainly ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) but with just a few passenger services.  Somewhat less use at weekends but still used. The few passenger services provide route knowledge for drivers from country depots. 

It’s still by far the best down direction access to Wimbledon Park depot, any trains to the depot via Vauxhall would have to cross the up slow and both fast lines.  Also yes the spur to the Windsor lines is bidirectional.

Here are tomorrow’s booked moves, you’ll see there’s one passenger WTT (Working Time-Table) move in the late evening, but there’s a couple of passenger moves after midnight tonight:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:ZPU/2022-06-17/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=SW

Paul
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 15:21:24 by paul7575 » Logged
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 16, 2022, 19:37:10 »

The East Putney route is used every day by SWR» (South Western Railway - about), pre-Covid there were over 20 movements daily, a bit less today, and mainly ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) but with just a few passenger services. 

Thanks for this. Also, the following dates scraped from a deceased member of another forum:

"1. The Up flyover and connection with the Up Windsor Fast was closed on 4.4.87 (because of weak bridge) and subsequently removed. To replace it, the Down line was (eventually) made reversible from 11.2.91." Much of the track on the up line seems to survive despite being out of use for 35 years.

Here's a photo from a Twitternaut of East Putney station, close to the junction with the Windsor lines, from an uncommon vantage point. The two platforms on the left carry the lines to the junction, known as Point Pleasant. Platform 3 out of use, Platform 4 last saw a train in 1941, allegedly.

https://twitter.com/calsurv/status/1500031432571432960

Google satellite view shows that a lump of electrical equipment now occupies a vantage point high on the approach to the up viaduct over the Windsor lines. (There seems to have been an unwritten rule on the railways that if any are available, new equipment must be positioned if possible to obstruct former trackbeds.)

Mark

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 16, 2022, 22:44:26 »

That really is a good view. The disused nearest end of East Putney P3, this side of a barrier, seems in pretty good condition doesn’t it?  I’ve seen far worse on the wider national network…

I can’t remember exactly when, but I did the route on a Sunday Southampton to Waterloo service in the mid 2010s, maybe 7 or 8 years ago, they were diverted all day for engineering work, sufficient to have a reduced LU service for the day. I think it was a 10 car 444.

Paul
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 19, 2022, 08:37:19 »

Cartoon from a Twitternaut, the two carriages along with the text made me think of the slant brought to the Trowbridge campaign meeting by the rather softly spoken chap from the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) with his emphasis on 'We must save taxpayer money'.

The Waterloo trains are rather in my mind at the moment as, if they were running, in the next couple of weeks there would be three times that I'd use them for return trips (twice to Woking, once to Basingstoke) and as things are I'll probably not be travelling at all.

https://twitter.com/anotherJon/status/1538405745502441473

Mark
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 21, 2022, 12:38:49 »

Transport Focus tweeting on the industrial action:

"Day 1 of #railstrikes. We’re keeping an eye on passenger experiences.
Last night we popped into Wool station (Dorset) to check on info for would-be travellers. We'll share our feedback with @SW_Help .
This morning we were at an almost-empty Brighton.
http://ow.ly/UONS50JCljL "

https://twitter.com/TransportFocus/status/1539171291130896385

Is it ok to feel a bit jaded with this? The campaign for the Bristol to Waterloo services left me with the impression that the days of any industry body to represent the travelling public were long past. If pressed, the issue was treated 'Pass the parcel' style between organisations in order to shield the people who make the decisions. One (small) aspect that has contributed to the low morale and unrest within the industry, something which is now several orders of magnitude more costly, and in several ways besides financial.

Mark

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34
  Print  

Jump to: