Delayed
08:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 11:52:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[137] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[56] Signage - not making it easy ...
[11] IETs at Melksham
[10] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[9] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Funny shape for a flagship...  (Read 1492 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2021, 23:23:57 »

Over here, in the recent major refurbishment of Rennes station, all the ticket barriers were converted to scan QR (QR Code - Quick Response code) codes, which are printed on all of our tickets.

Rennes is our Brittany rail network's flagship station - being the regional capital - and currently the only one of our stations to feature ticket barriers...

Last time I was in the gare de Rennes was less than a year before its official opening in July 2019, but it was still a confusing mess, and you could not really see what was being built. Well, it was one of these:

That's from a piece with historical pictures of the old station

Funny-looking thing, eh? And from the air it certainly is a funny shape for a ship, flag or not, or indeed for a station:

Meanwhile, over in the other of the terrible twin cities, Nantes, they had to have a new station too. It opened last November, and is ... in a different style:

Remind you of anywhere? Like somewhere I will not be visiting this weekend, for example.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 04:16:18 »

The official description of the Rennes station roof is as follows:

Composed of sculpted clouds evoking the mist of the Brocéliande forest, the ETFE (ethylene tetrafluoroethylene) roof is light and ultra-resistant.

Allowing light to pass through, its 4 oblong tablecloths extend over 3,500 m² and rest on 18 tree posts in wood and metal injected with concrete.

Closer look video:

Virtual tour:

Timelapse video of station construction:

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 09:20:04 »

To be fair to Rennes, the triangular concourse over the station was part of the old new station (1992), and remained largely intact and in use throughout. The new bits wrap round it and replace the old new north and south station buildings. I guess it's meant to look sexy and modern, but unfortunately it reminds me of a certain kind of 1960s sci-fi novel covers.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 10:01:57 »

To be fair to Rennes, the triangular concourse over the station was part of the old new station (1992), and remained largely intact and in use throughout. The new bits wrap round it and replace the old new north and south station buildings. I guess it's meant to look sexy and modern, but unfortunately it reminds me of a certain kind of 1960s sci-fi novel covers.

Yes, I can see why it wouldnt be everyone's cup of tea in that respect, and the ethos does quite strongly tend towards the very modern in the designs that are put forward. That said, mixing the historic with the new can be achieved, as the recent renovation of the Art Deco-inspired masterpiece Saint Brieuc station showed, a well-executed brief that certainly contributed to its 2nd place in the most recent French Best Stations competition.

Going back to Rennes, I guess my immediate colleagues and I tend to be more focused on what it does rather than how it looks - and there is no denying when you look at the videos that it does an awful lot in many ways, in terms of the passenger facilities, the integration opportunities with other modes, the wide range of commercial units available on site, the accessibility, and the associated regeneration of the surrounding area.

Certainly feedback from users of all of the above has tended to be very positive, which is encouraging.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 18:26:54 »

Stayed at the Ibis hotel approx 2010 which is between the womans prison and the station.
Did enjoy the driverless metro trains though.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: