Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:42:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Bridge strike Plymouth 30 August  (Read 6769 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2021, 07:54:54 »

Someone has got very confused about what days of the week we are talking about.
Oh gosh yes. If it had happened a year ago the dates would be correct. Can only think someone had last years calendar on their desk  Huh

Or thought yesterday was only Sunday being a bank holiday

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2021, 08:34:46 »

Very few road traffic collisions are true accidents, examples of these rare ones include.
Sudden collapse of man made structure into road, vehicles run into it.
Sudden fall of tree across road.
Sudden illness of driver.
Unforeseeable mechanical failure.

Not sure that even all of these are "accidents" - some are rather more they could be considered as incidents where the failure is by someone beyond those immediately present.    For example, if a bridge collapses or a sink hole opens in a road, is that not down to the people responsible for maintaining the road ... and trees should be kept in check (and checked for safety) by the land owner.

But you can end up so blame-attribution-driver and risk-averse that you'll achieve nothing, "just in case"  ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2021, 09:05:40 »

It would seem that one line can be used according to Journey Check

Customer Advice
A lorry has collided with a railway bridge in Plymouth, causing damage to the bridge structure. The bridge hasbeen examined by structural engineers and further inspections are needed during daylight hours on Tuesday 31August.
Only one of the 2 running lines is currently open and 1 train per hour in each direction can operate until further notice.Due to the damage sustained,there is a high likelihood that disruption will continue for longer. 
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2021, 09:23:10 »

I remain of the opinion that penalties for this type of incompetent driving should be far more severe.

The driver of the truck should lose their licence for some years, except in the rather unlikely case of some exceptional extenuating circumstance.

The operator, or more realistically their insurers, should be liable for the full costs of delay minutes, compensation to passengers, surveyors fees, bridge repairs and other costs.
A few large payouts would concentrate the mind.

I was just wondering things like consequential losses claimable from the truck insurers.. I’m due to go to London tomorrow for my eldest step daughters birthday outing. I’m not ruining her birthday outing due to this so will likely drive from Cornwall to Exeter St David’s to pick up the train, seeing the rail replacement reporting lack of availability. I’ll now incur additional car parking costs (id have walked to my local station) and around 120 miles round trip of petrol as a result of this trucks negligence.
Obviously I wouldn’t dream of claiming off GWR (Great Western Railway), but what grounds would the truck company have to deny they caused my out of pocket costs by this incident. It isn’t worth claiming, purely hypothetical I’ll probably be £20 out of pocket at most. 
Losses from these events are very widely distributed, which makes it less likely those responsible will bear them in full.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2021, 10:09:48 »

Update from Journey Check ... noting it's until the end of tomorrow at least:

Cancellations to services between Plymouth and Totnes

Due to a lorry colliding with a bridge between Plymouth and Totnes all lines are closed.

Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day on 01/09/21.

Customer Advice

A lorry has collided with a railway bridge in Plymouth, causing damage to the bridge structure. The bridge hasbeen examined by structural engineers and further inspections are needed during daylight hours on Tuesday 31August.

Only one of the 2 running lines is currently open and 1 train per hour in each direction can operate until further notice. Due to the damage sustained, there is a high likelihood that disruption will continue for longer.

Customer Advice

A limited train service will be running between Plymouth and Newton Abbot and you are still advised not to travel between these stations.

Train services are running between Plymouth and Penzance, between Exmouth, Exeter St Davids and Paignton, as well as between Exeter St Davids and London Paddington, although these services are subject to alteration.

With an hourly 9 or 10 carriage train each way between Plymouth and Exeter St David's (serving stations to Newton Abbot), that feels like it should be reasonable capacity - or is this a really busy week, and still trouble?

Notifications getting clearer - noting two sections headed "customer advice", the first one of which might have been better labelled "what has happened" as it talks about (as I was trained ...) features rather than 'benefits'.  Perhaps "What has happened" rather than "how you can travel" would be better terminology.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2021, 10:52:09 »

Length of the single line section is potentially ~1.75 miles.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2021, 10:56:21 »

From my twitter feed -

7 concrete sleepers cracked plus 10 voussoirs with vertical & lateral displacement by 6 inches. 30 road coaches ordered. Order given for no attempt to dislodge the lorry, fearing such action may cause further damage. Power cables are routed across the parapet too. It's a route for signalling cables, and fibre-optic cables were found inside the parapet.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2021, 11:19:23 »

From my twitter feed -

... voussoirs ...

I had to look that up ...

A voussoir (/vuˈswɑːr/) is a wedge-shaped element, typically a stone, which is used in building an arch or vault.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2021, 11:41:18 »

yep - the arch stones that hold the arch together....
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2021, 12:15:23 »

[/pedantmode=on/]

No gravity hold the arch together!  The voussoirs form the arch.  As an arch the ones on the outside are actually no more important than those on the inside, but are highly visible.  However the they do hold up the spandrel walls (the side walls of the bridge which have the parapet built on top), which retains the fill including the ballast.

[/pedantmode=off/]

7 concrete sleepers cracked plus 10 voussoirs with vertical & lateral displacement by 6 inches.

It is some eyars since I did bridge engineering, but the photo only shows the facing voussoirs not sure how far back the damage goes.  If I were the bridge engineer I would be equally worried about the near side of the arch and the spandrel walls. The truck will clearly need to be removed carefully after some supports have been inserted to stabilise the bridge. Its a tight fit so they may need to cut into the truck to do that.  Once done the displaced voussoirs will need to be let down carefully to restore the shape and at least part of the spandrel and parapet look like they might need rebuilding which would mean digging out at least some of the fill. Worst case is the the track and the fill needs to be removed and a concrete slab cast over the arch.

I would expect there would need to be a possession while the truck is removed and the bridge restored to its former position.  If the track and ballast have to be removed then it may need to be longer.     

Shows why an inspection is required for every bridge strike. 

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2021, 12:25:38 »

[/pedantmode=on/]

No gravity hold the arch together!  The voussoirs form the arch.  As an arch the ones on the outside are actually no more important than those on the inside, but are highly visible.  However the they do hold up the spandrel walls (the side walls of the bridge which have the parapet built on top), which retains the fill including the ballast.

[/pedantmode=off/]

Hmmm....remove the key voissoir and gravity will cause the arch to collapse. All the voissoirs need to be in place and this prevents gravilty from causing the arch to collapse.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2021, 12:34:29 »

Another example of how useful a diversionary route via Tavistock and Okehampton would be....Not all about the seawall!

It's an interesting point.

When ARPA developed the specification for the internet, they built into it the concept of multiple redundant paths. Beeching was also very interested in redundant paths, of course. But in his case he wasn't interested in strengthening them to provide a resilient network; he wanted to remove them to provide a cheaper one. You get what you pay for.

Having said that, just suppose this incident had been west of the Tamar... what would be the alternative route in that case?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2021, 12:44:12 »

Having said that, just suppose this incident had been west of the Tamar... what would be the alternative route in that case?

Via Oakhampton and the North Cornwall Railway and a reversal at Wadebridge and Bodmin General!  But that is never going to happen. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2021, 15:45:34 »

I remain of the opinion that penalties for this type of incompetent driving should be far more severe.

The driver of the truck should lose their licence for some years, except in the rather unlikely case of some exceptional extenuating circumstance.

The operator, or more realistically their insurers, should be liable for the full costs of delay minutes, compensation to passengers, surveyors fees, bridge repairs and other costs.
A few large payouts would concentrate the mind.

I was just wondering things like consequential losses claimable from the truck insurers.. I’m due to go to London tomorrow for my eldest step daughters birthday outing. I’m not ruining her birthday outing due to this so will likely drive from Cornwall to Exeter St David’s to pick up the train, seeing the rail replacement reporting lack of availability. I’ll now incur additional car parking costs (id have walked to my local station) and around 120 miles round trip of petrol as a result of this trucks negligence.
Obviously I wouldn’t dream of claiming off GWR (Great Western Railway), but what grounds would the truck company have to deny they caused my out of pocket costs by this incident. It isn’t worth claiming, purely hypothetical I’ll probably be £20 out of pocket at most. 
Losses from these events are very widely distributed, which makes it less likely those responsible will bear them in full.

Given the railways attitude to paying out for its customers consequential losses due to cancellation and delay, I wonder if they expect other companies to be more accommodating in these circumstances?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2021, 15:46:49 »

Both sleepers will run tonight using the single line
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: