Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:32:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Return of restrictions next month?  (Read 4996 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 07, 2021, 10:30:34 »

Front page of "i" this morning

There's rarely smoke without fire, but often the smoke can be misleading (did you ever shovel wet grass and leaves onto a small, fierce bonfire and see a huge, thick cloud of smoke rising out of all proportion ...

Thoughts??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 10:35:33 »

I’d be surprised if we got through to next spring without any restrictions being introduced.  Hopefully workplaces, shops and other leisure/entertainment/hospitality  will be able to stay open.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 11:15:26 »

When all restrictions were lifted a short while back and the infection rate started to climb again, I made a comment to my colleagues that "it would not surprise me if restrictions (if not another full lockdown) would be reimposed in time for the Autumn Half Term". I may be a natural pessimist, but I stick to my comment. My wife works in a school and the powers-that-be at that school are very nervous about their charges returning to a 'no restrictions' environment.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 12:51:19 »

I’d be surprised if we got through to next spring without any restrictions being introduced.  Hopefully workplaces, shops and other leisure/entertainment/hospitality  will be able to stay open.

When all restrictions were lifted a short while back and the infection rate started to climb again, I made a comment to my colleagues that "it would not surprise me if restrictions (if not another full lockdown) would be reimposed in time for the Autumn Half Term". I may be a natural pessimist, but I stick to my comment. My wife works in a school and the powers-that-be at that school are very nervous about their charges returning to a 'no restrictions' environment.

My personal view is that all of this is largely irrelevant, as the masks, along with another national lockdown, will be back by autumn.

Whether that will also be the case on my side of the channel is still in the balance. I suspect they will try and control it by insisting on the showing of Covid Vaccination Passports for most everyday activities - including using public transport - first.

A reminder above of my prediction from back in mid-July.

Covid Vaccination Passports for many activities have now been introduced in France, and touching all available wood, cases over here are starting to come down. I dont like it at all from a civil liberties perspective of course, but it is probably true to say that the alternative is frequent lockdown and the closure of the type of leisure/entertainment/hospitality establishments that Industry Insider mentions for at least 8 months a year.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 22:52:41 »

My thoughts are to close infernal state schools permanently. They do little to no educational good. Provide some online lectures. Let kids learn soft skills by playing in smaller groups in nearby woods and on nearby mountains. If we have a public health reason to save council tax like this, then all the better.

Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 08:54:25 »

There are always "worst-case scenarios" that the media seize on. Some of us may remember consideration some 40 (??) years ago of the future rail network which led to maps being published in the press showing no rail services beyond Plymouth and between Salisbury and Exeter (among many other cuts).

Remember too some of the pessimistic "up to" statistics that have been floated over the past 18 months.

Though I'm generally comfortable outside, I still wince at the jam-packed crowds watching the Tour of Britain cycle race and shouting encouragement at the riders. Not a mask in sight. Yet about 15-20% of the crowds watching the recent Tour of Spain were masked.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 09:02:42 »

My thoughts are to close infernal state schools permanently. They do little to no educational good. Provide some online lectures. Let kids learn soft skills by playing in smaller groups in nearby woods and on nearby mountains. If we have a public health reason to save council tax like this, then all the better.

That is a rather unusual view, but one with which I largely agree.
After all schools HAVE been largely closed for extended periods, and exam results reached new records, so in the interests of continued progress, close them permanently.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 09:50:37 »

If you think that the method of education by remote means used during the Pandemic saved money then you are sadly mistaken! Such a change even if it were desirable will not save money. 
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 06:42:50 »

If you think that the method of education by remote means used during the Pandemic saved money then you are sadly mistaken! Such a change even if it were desirable will not save money. 

A permanent closure or great reduction in formal schooling should save a great deal of money.
There was no saving during the pandemic because all staff in the industry were still paid, and premises maintained.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 01:34:45 »

My personal view is that all of this is largely irrelevant, as the masks, along with another national lockdown, will be back by autumn.

Whether that will also be the case on my side of the channel is still in the balance. I suspect they will try and control it by insisting on the showing of Covid Vaccination Passports for most everyday activities - including using public transport - first.

A reminder above of my prediction from back in mid-July.

Covid Vaccination Passports for many activities have now been introduced in France, and touching all available wood, cases over here are starting to come down. I dont like it at all from a civil liberties perspective of course, but it is probably true to say that the alternative is frequent lockdown and the closure of the type of leisure/entertainment/hospitality establishments that Industry Insider mentions for at least 8 months a year.

An alternative that Sajid now appears to have chosen for you - https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58535258

Quote from: Sajid Javid
Speaking on The Andrew Marr Show, Mr Javid said: "We just shouldn't be doing things for the sake of it or because others are doing, and we should look at every possible intervention properly."

He said he had "never liked the idea of saying to people you must show your papers" to "do what is just an everyday activity".

"We've looked at it properly and, whilst we should keep it in reserve as a potential option, I'm pleased to say that we will not be going ahead with plans for vaccine passports," he added.

As you all know, from a civil liberties perspective, I completely agree with Sajid. I had to show my Vaccine Passport 3 times in Carhaix on Friday - to gain access to 2 cafes, and 1 routine hospital appointment - and each time I felt my skin crawl.

The problem is the numbers appear to tell the story - 28000 cases per day on a rising trend in the UK (United Kingdom), versus 7000 cases per day on a falling trend over here.

I note Sajid's "whilst we should keep it in reserve as a potential option" caveat, and my personal opinion is that as much as it pains me to say it, you would probably be better off introducing the Vaccine Passport now while you still have a chance of avoiding a new lockdown, rather than having to introduce a Vaccine Passport in a few months time as the UK population emerges in a state of bitterness mixed with weary resignation from that avoidable lockdown, with the politicians telling them at that point that the measure is the only way to avoid future lockdowns...

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2021, 11:25:14 »

As you all know, from a civil liberties perspective, I completely agree with Sajid. I had to show my Vaccine Passport 3 times in Carhaix on Friday - to gain access to 2 cafes, and 1 routine hospital appointment - and each time I felt my skin crawl.

The problem is the numbers appear to tell the story - 28000 cases per day on a rising trend in the UK (United Kingdom), versus 7000 cases per day on a falling trend over here.

I note Sajid's "whilst we should keep it in reserve as a potential option" caveat, and my personal opinion is that as much as it pains me to say it, you would probably be better off introducing the Vaccine Passport now while you still have a chance of avoiding a new lockdown, rather than having to introduce a Vaccine Passport in a few months time as the UK population emerges in a state of bitterness mixed with weary resignation from that avoidable lockdown, with the politicians telling them at that point that the measure is the only way to avoid future lockdowns...

For info, the 7-day average figures now, at the end of September, are 34,600 cases per day for the UK and 5,000 (and falling) for France, a ratio of about 7:1. In the last 7 days, the death ratio has also been around 7:1 (700:100).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2021, 11:58:28 »

Cases and hospitalisations still a long way below the most optimistic of SAGE forecasts from a couple of months ago.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2021, 15:07:58 »

I have had to show my proof of vaccination together with photo ID on a number of occasions on my  current travels through France and Switzerland (including at the top of a mountain today). No problem as you get into the habit of keeping them with you. I do not consider this to be an infringement of my civil liberties. No different to producing my driving licence when asked.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2021, 22:33:30 »

Cases and hospitalisations still a long way below the most optimistic of SAGE forecasts from a couple of months ago.

It will be interesting to see whether that holds up, and which direction the indicators go, on both sides of the channel.

I have had to show my proof of vaccination together with photo ID on a number of occasions on my  current travels through France and Switzerland (including at the top of a mountain today). No problem as you get into the habit of keeping them with you. I do not consider this to be an infringement of my civil liberties. No different to producing my driving licence when asked.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I dont agree with your underlying premise. You need to demonstrate a particular level of skill and competence in order to gain the right to drive. This is not the case to sit down and order a drink in a cafe/bar or a meal in a restaurant. It is not the case to watch a film in a cinema. It is not the case to view an exhibition in an art gallery. Up until now, people have not had to demonstrate a particular level of skill and competence in order to gain the right to do any of these things, but the Covid Vaccine Passport rules bar anyone that doesnt have that documented proof from doing all of these things.

As I have said, I have reluctantly accepted the need for it in the current health context, but if it were to stay in place indefinitely beyond the current emergency situation, I would absolutely consider it a fundamental breach of civil liberties.

I note that President Macron has promised pubilicly not to keep it any longer than absolutely necessary, that they will start to progressively roll it back in areas where indicators are sustainably low, and I very much hope he keeps his word on that.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2021, 08:35:37 »

The driving licence analogy is a good example of false equivalence.

It's also an excellent example of the habit of putting the individuals "rights" before collective responsibility.

Those of us fortunate enough to obtain tickets for England's Autumn Internationals at Twickenham have already been advised that evidence of vaccination may be required to secure admission (as well as the "ambitiously" priced tickets!). I don't hear too many complaints, people can be pretty pragmatic when they can see the greater good.

My cousin's wife is a Doctor and recently explained the process of mechanical ventilation to me. Carrying a piece of paper or details on a smartphone  seems a remarkably benign alternative - look it up if you don't believe me, I daresay it'll make your skin crawl a bit more than having to show a piece of paper in a cafe - and even if it only saves a few people that awful experience it's worthwhile.

I won't repeat here her views on those who are refusing to be vaccinated as she is a lady and this is a civilised forum!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 08:41:00 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: