Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:20:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Railtours Only Freight Track and Horses  (Read 1966 times)
Kempis
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2021, 14:56:13 »

Mrs Kempis is wondering if any other Coffeeshop folk are on this tour. She is particularly looking forwards to the Westerleigh Oil Depot line as it is her pet project for delivering the Westerleigh Junction improvement (via Ram Hill for Coalpit Heath). Mr Kempis is feeling a deep sense of satisfaction that he had completed the St Philips Marsh Depot diversionary route two weeks previous for the princely sum of £18 for a regular day ticket, and this tour which Mrs Kempis is treating him to merely did the Bristol East Depot siding. Though they both agree that the latter would be more useful as a site for St Anne’s station.

Of course, the tour was right to exclude the Rhubarb loop as everyone knows that is old hat.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 15:52:32 »

I saw the train entering Temple Meads at lunchtime, from a vantage point near the new eastern entrance - I was on a 'Doors Open Day' tour of the new University campus...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Kempis
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 16:34:19 »

I saw the train entering Temple Meads at lunchtime, from a vantage point near the new eastern entrance - I was on a 'Doors Open Day' tour of the new University campus...

Oh bother - Mrs Kempis wanted to look at the eastern entrance but Mr Kempis opted for a coffee near Knights Templar. Would have been good to chat! But Mrs K is making good use of her time by catching up with the current general@fosbr.org.uk incumbent on the train.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 16:41:09 »

Is there much to see there?  I returned to Bristol last night at Temple Meads but it was too dark to see anything.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 12:01:21 »

To answer johnneyw and Kempis' questions as best I can:

I didn't get the opportunity to check the east end of the subway this time, but last time I looked there wasn't much to see. The work done during the blockade, as far as I can tell, essentially put in place the walls and roof of the extension so that they can dig through and complete it without disrupting the trains above. I think the best you'll see for now is hoardings.

Our tour was led by a very engaging and enthusiastic team with representatives from the structural engineers, architects, University and project managers for the University campus. Mostly we were looking at the Retort House and Coal Store (the old Vauxhall garage, on Avon St). They see many similarities between this project and King's Cross - Coal Drops yard; opening up an area previously cut off by a large railway station. All good stuff.

Building work on the old Post Office site will start towards the end of next year. The Eastern Entrance will happen ahead of this; they will put in a temporary access route from it to Cattle Market Road.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 23:45:49 »

To answer johnneyw and Kempis' questions as best I can:

I didn't get the opportunity to check the east end of the subway this time, but last time I looked there wasn't much to see. The work done during the blockade, as far as I can tell, essentially put in place the walls and roof of the extension so that they can dig through and complete it without disrupting the trains above. I think the best you'll see for now is hoardings.

Our tour was led by a very engaging and enthusiastic team with representatives from the structural engineers, architects, University and project managers for the University campus. Mostly we were looking at the Retort House and Coal Store (the old Vauxhall garage, on Avon St). They see many similarities between this project and King's Cross - Coal Drops yard; opening up an area previously cut off by a large railway station. All good stuff.

Building work on the old Post Office site will start towards the end of next year. The Eastern Entrance will happen ahead of this; they will put in a temporary access route from it to Cattle Market Road.

Thank you RS.  Interesting to hear that the new entrance will be built ahead of the campus buildings.  Refreshing to hear of public transport infrastructure being put in ahead of the redevelopment.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 12:11:35 »

Agreed a very good tour. It was an interesting how difficult it is to run a train on todays fragmented railway. A whole list of different organisation had to be involved.

This compares with BR (British Rail(ways)) one of my jobs at Waterloo in the sixties was helping proof read Special Notices for Engineering work and special trains etc. Our bit were teh signalling instructions if it was special. eg I used to know the numbers of teh points to be clipped to get a special into Eastleigh works. The locol Inspector was task with job og getting teh points clipped, just as motive power was charged with providing power andtraffic with finding coaches., but everyone was under the same umbrella.

Nowadays one organisation provides the power another the coaches, another staff to clip etc. So it was triumph of organisation to get where we got to.

The catering staff were also excellent considering this was only their third trip and it takes some oragnistion  to feed a 100 plus people on a moving train. Despite tha the service and food were excellent.

Of course, the tour was right to exclude the Rhubarb loop as everyone knows that is old hat.

I haven't done it yet!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 12:27:11 »

Agreed a very good tour. It was an interesting how difficult it is to run a train on todays fragmented railway. A whole list of different organisation had to be involved.

But doesn't that happen everywhere - and not just in Britain? Private companies, governments of all sizes, even charities voluntary organisations and political parties use outsiders - subcontractors, in a sense - for a lot of their activities. By now BR (British Rail(ways)) would have been just the same, with or without any privatisation.

Why? In some cases it makes industrial sense: for example a small local council can't afford the special machinery used for resurfacing roads because they can't use even one big machine full-time. Companies (including ones I worked for) said they outsourced IT or "facilities management" to save money, but did not appear to have costed the loss of service (flexibiliy etc.). In many cases I don't think it did save money in reality.

So I now think, in most cases, it's just a fashion - so it will go out of fashion again.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 14:06:04 »

But doesn't that happen everywhere - and not just in Britain? Private companies, governments of all sizes, even charities voluntary organisations and political parties use outsiders - subcontractors, in a sense - for a lot of their activities. By now BR (British Rail(ways))▸ would have been just the same, with or without any privatisation.

Years of being in and working with a wide variety of organisations has taught me a very important law of organisations - never assume that simply keeping a project within a single organisation will mean that all involved will communicate and organise themselves any better than if they are from different organisations.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: